Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

1 minute ago, iantt said:

And I would smell and see a wildfire in the distance too. As for flooding ? Really. It's raining alot, I wonder what's going to happen to the river and streams? Mmmm. 

Even if it were for more sinister events like Putin firing something nasty at us. Not much you could do really?

is the ground shaking or are you legs trembling ?

• Haha 1

How do you know which Android you're on?

I don't think it's a bad thing in a real event, but chose to switch to my phone off for half an hour covering the test today.  Was surprised to see no notification that there had been an alert when I switched it back on.

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Its under system.

Screenshot_20230423-173925.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't think it's a bad thing in a real event, but chose to switch to my phone off for half an hour covering the test today.  Was surprised to see no notification that there had been an alert when I switched it back on.

go into settings and scroll down to about

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  Looks like mine is too old to receive it anyway then.

Screenshot_20230423-175614.thumb.png.761ce1102bd3569c73d51585c7ae1ccf.png

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks guys.  Looks like mine is too old to receive it anyway then.

Screenshot_20230423-175614.thumb.png.761ce1102bd3569c73d51585c7ae1ccf.png

Android 10 should still get the alerts. To turn them off, go into settings, and in the search bar, type in 'emergency alerts', then, toggle off...

• Thanks 1

If you feel confident then install a custom ROM

Android 6.0 and I got the alert.

When I clicked on "OK" to dismiss the alert on the screen there was a brief message on the screen something like "Allow HM Govt access to your microphone" but it disappeared very quickly.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jimpster said:

If you feel confident then install a custom ROM

Can you do that with FORScan ? 😉

• Haha 4

No alerts here either thankfully. Recently changed supplier from Virgin to Smarty and so far enjoying the silence ( great track btw) for the last 5 weeks....bliss

1 minute ago, Wino said:

...Recently changed supplier from Virgin to Smarty and so far enjoying the silence...

Well, Smarty people are happy people LOL

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Well, Smarty people are happy people LOL

They certainly are at the moment with no calls or texts, its Grreeeeeaaaat as Tony the Tiger used to say LOL

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Smarty people are happy people

Especially the Blue ones 🤣

Nice to be back here again. 

I am starting to hate the job market. No one wants to take on a trainee rather than experienced pupils with many years experience. Even if a trainee position comes up still need experience in it which I can't see how in some places. Studied to get a career as a biomed but barely any trainee positions coming up and all want experience working in a lab which I do have via academia but not job.

Have started looking at jobs on Transport for London which there are apprenticeship opportunities which the NHS don't have. Career opportunities and pay look better too.

Just think ever since Covid and lock down came in its just gone downhill with the job market.

Im currently stuck in my support worker job here in A&E which is low paid. Only recently after nearly 2 years here I finally finished my apprenticeship which should of been 18 months.

This is my biggest objective and stress at the moment is just settling down in a good career where I can progress.

2 hours ago, zain611 said:

Have started looking at jobs on Transport for London which there are apprenticeship opportunities which the NHS don't have. Career opportunities and pay look better too.

I'm afraid the bloke you need to blame for this mess is Tony Blair. In 1999 as a Labour PM, he stated that he wanted 50% of young adults to go into higher education, a target met in 2019. In the 1950s, only 4% of young people entered University education. It rose to 14% at the end of the 70s. Hence a degree was a valuable asset to the individual, and the economy. 

Now, they are pretty worthless as an economic aid as clearly demonstrated by the very fact in that with 50% of young population getting one, the economy is no better! 

The apprenticeship system lost much kudos over the years as youngsters were seduced that 'uni' was the way to go. (I'm old enough to remember when it was still called University before the foreign soap opera Neighbours introduced that awful term, 'uni'!)

There is a slow realisation that this rush to 'degree' education is flawed, and that if there was truly a relationship between higher education and raising economic growth then Britain should be undergoing some kind of economic miracle by now, which it isn't!

It's sad that you have been a part of this failed experiment, but the good news i that you appear to have a plan to pull yourself out of it, despite governments best efforts to lead you on a path to failure.

For many, there is no better training than learning 'on the job'. That may still be unfashionable, but anyone with common sense can see it's proper path to learn a skilful career. Stick to it buddy, and the very fact that you are choosing to do something worthwhile with your life shows a grit & determination, that will lead you to success...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

I'm afraid the bloke you need to blame for this mess is Tony Blair. In 1999 as a Labour PM, he stated that he wanted 50% of young adults to go into higher education, a target met in 2019. In the 1950s, only 4% of young people entered University education. Hence a degree was a valuable asset to the individual, and the economy. 

Now, they are pretty worthless as an economic aid as clearly demonstrated by the very fact in that with 50% of young population getting one, the economy is no better! 

The apprenticeship system lost much kudos over the years as youngsters were seduced that 'uni' was the way to go. (I'm old enough to remember when it was still called University before the foreign soap opera Neighbours introduced that awful term, 'uni'!)

There is a slow realisation that this rush to 'degree' education is flawed, and that if there was truly a relationship between higher education and raising economic growth then Britain should be undergoing some kind of economic miracle by now, which it isn't!

It's sad that you have been a part of this failed experiment, but the good news i that you appear to have a plan to pull yourself out of it, despite governments best efforts to lead you on a path to failure.

For many, there is no better training than learning 'on the job'. That may still be unfashionable, but anyone with common sense can see it's proper path to learn a skilful career. Stick to it buddy, and the very fact that you are choosing to do something worthwhile with your life shows a grit & determination, that will lead you to success...

It also helps if you have a genuine interest in the work to begin with but I tend to agree with what Mr Maypole posted as all my working life has been through on the job training alongside the odd HSE course in the latter years.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

For many, there is no better training than learning 'on the job'.

I've never regretted going down that route, joining the (then) Electricity Supply Industry after A levels, with on the job training mixed with college release. I also did night school to get further qualifications. Don't remember anything I learned on my various courses as not coming in useful at some time or another in my subsequent career.

I had spells in virtually all parts of the business, and there were various "get-togethers" with trainees in other disciplines, so that in later life you knew your colleagues in other functions, and what they did, pretty well. Far more effective " team building" than some of the exercises we see nowadays, imo.

Of course, the world has moved on and probably a trainee/apprentice today would not get the same breadth of experience I was able to. Still seem to me a better option than 3 years (or more) of "uni" then looking for a job afterwards, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @StephenFord that does give me some motivation. It's not easy ever I think the covid lock down. People lost their jobs, businesses etc that I think the economy is still recovering from it. 

I think also the reason people don't do much apprenticeships are due to the history of people soon leaving them after getting employed. Probably hits the company in time and money on that person. 

Have been looking at lab assistant roles but heard the story of people that their managers aren't willing to train them to a biomedical scientist and wasted 2 years at that low paid position.

Started looking at tfl jobs and may look at their apprenticeships or station supervisor roles. Dad works in this sector so may also see if he could get me work experience. Such a hard world out there

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I'm afraid the bloke you need to blame for this mess is Tony Blair. In 1999 as a Labour PM, he stated that he wanted 50% of young adults to go into higher education, a target met in 2019. In the 1950s, only 4% of young people entered University education. It rose to 14% at the end of the 70s. Hence a degree was a valuable asset to the individual, and the economy. 

Surely you mean “Sir” Tony…….Cnut. What a wrong ‘un.

4 hours ago, zain611 said:

Nice to be back here again. 

I am starting to hate the job market. No one wants to take on a trainee rather than experienced pupils with many years experience. Even if a trainee position comes up still need experience in it which I can't see how in some places. Studied to get a career as a biomed but barely any trainee positions coming up and all want experience working in a lab which I do have via academia but not job.

Just think ever since Covid and lock down came in its just gone downhill with the job market.

Im currently stuck in my support worker job here in A&E which is low paid. Only recently after nearly 2 years here I finally finished my apprenticeship which should of been 18 months.

This is my biggest objective and stress at the moment is just settling down in a good career where I can progress.

Try Thames Water, both on the clean water and wastewater sides. Even a just putting your CV in with a covering letter. 

Don't like trying to fix something and making it worse... :unsure:

Shark stick vac.  The cord protector at the top split and kept cutting my wrist.  Tried to tape it with insulation tape but it's worse now, very stiff and sharp.  Any ideas on a softer repair?

1926663594_Screenshot_20230427-1733022.thumb.png.4cb191dc6227aa57938ce26db0c6961e.png

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

...Any ideas on a softer repair?

Now, this was years ago, but you know that sticky towelling wrap you put round a tennis racket grip? I used that in a similar repair...

• Like 2

might sound silly but try using a soldering iron and fuse the bit thats broke, i've done it on the back of a mates headlight where the clip had broken. Fired off some staples for reinforcing and fused them into the plastic then fused more plastic over it. Better than when new

• Like 3

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Personally if I was just wanting an easy and quick repair I'd use Self-Amalgamating Rubber Tape Black 3m x 25mm.

For example:-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/self-amalgamating-rubber-tape-black-3m-x-25mm/2115v

I may already have some of that in one of the tool boxes.  Wasn't sure if it'd be any softer than insulation tape though?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club