Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Esp Light Plus Aircon Confusion

noil

Greetings oh wise ones.

Having had the car hooked up (focus mk1 zetec 2.0 esp) to diagnostic the codes c1281 and c1282 have been returned.

The blurb with c1281 is saying "Lateral Accelerometer Circuit Failure" may be cause by "open circuit,short circuit, sensor previously disconnected sensor, sensor supply voltage out of range finally limits, sensor or finally damaged or contaminated connector"

The blurb with c1282 is saying "Code sent when the signal from the sensor is inconsistant with vehicle position, loose or improperly installed sensor,sensor,sensor internal hardware failure"

Sensors for ABS have been checked and even cleaned but not solved the problem.

If it is the Lateral Accelerometer sensor EXACTLY where is it located on/in the car as online a few mentions are that it is located under the drivers seat (assuming the car is RHD that is) but a look with a borescope cant see it even with looking on both sides of the car under the carpet etc. Or does anyone know what else it could be?

Aircon not working either as light comes on but no cooler despite regassing and numerous testings.

Does anyone know if even wheel allignment could be an issue causing the trouble. the ESP light has been on well over a year now but did vanish for about 5 minutes but came back on after parking up for shopping.

Cheers for any help supplied.

The accelerometer I believe us under the driver seat. I would unplug spray with electrical contact cleaner and replug. As for the air con I suspect your looking at a leak?

• Like 1

definatly under drivers front seat, need to remove seat, b pillar trim sill trim, and pull up carpet to see it.

Thank you people.

Just a quick update, Yes i have found the accelerometer but without removing the seat. After sliding the drivers seat forward (RHD vehicle) I noticed that the sill (seat runner) area was thicker than the passenger side.

On closer inspection I also noticed the carpet has a perforated area there running along where the floor meets the vertical section up to the rear bolt attaching the seat runner. Breaking the perforations and pulling the carpet flap up the accelerometer is right there, saves having to remove trim and the seat. I'll admit that although the carpet doesn't fit flush afterwards i'll seal the 'flap' with tape and because the seat will be slid right back it wont be seen unless someone 2 inches high climbs into the back.

Just got to get the contact cleaner and try that.

The aircon has been tested for leaks so many times as well as having been left with the garage for days to find out if it was still leaking but no joy.

Now if the contact cleaner doesn't solve the lateral accelerometer fault (ABS sensors have also been changed) anyone know what else could be the cause.

The ESP light originally came on while doing morotrway driving and approx 100 miles into a journey.

Thank you again and if it sorts the problem out I'll let you know.

good luck, but I think the contact cleaner should resolve the accelermoter, if not you will likely need to replace it.

• 1 month later...

*Update* Bugger, still no joy after cleaning the contacts and to go along with it the radio has stopped tuning in and the central locking via the remote seems to be throwing a wobbly by locking and immediately unlocking.

Now on the subject of trying to find a replacement LA......So far I've almost found alien life on another planet but no LA, are these things so damn rare?

*Update* Bugger, still no joy after cleaning the contacts and to go along with it the radio has stopped tuning in and the central locking via the remote seems to be throwing a wobbly by locking and immediately unlocking.

Now on the subject of trying to find a replacement LA......So far I've almost found alien life on another planet but no LA, are these things so damn rare?

Have you checked all of the wiring to the module (and checked you are getting voltage on appropriate pins)?

I don't have a wiring schematic for that car, but you should have 12v running to that sensor on at least one pin, and ground on another.

Sorry for delayed update:

Have had a mate go all over it probing here and there (real techy type he is) and no joy, everything seems to get power where needed etc.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club