Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2000 (X) Reg Focus Lacking Acceleration

mattyboy_13uk

My partner has a 1.4 16v focus CL. She has noticed a lack of power in acceleration. She had to have the clutch done a couple of weeks ago. I recently done the spark plugs, oil change, oil filter, air filter and HT leads. What else can be causing the problem. The clutch is fine now so no slipping anymore. I hope that's enough info. I was Thinking maybe it may be worth changing the coil and fuel filter but was also pointed out when she had the clutched replace that her battery is quite small and doesn't fill the battery tray. Could this be a factor to take in account too???

Many thanks

Matt

It's not unusual for there to be smaller batteries in some models, would be a cost save for Ford if they could get away with smaller battery on some models.

I'd see it being more likely that's possible on the smaller petrol engined variant than with diesels which usually take more oomph to get them started in comparison.

Thanks for that Troy. I know it this cold weather the doors struggle to unlock. Maybe I should tell her to think about a new battery as sometimes it takes a while . Hoping to sort out lack of power first though. :-/

If you getting a spark on all fours spark plugs I wouldn't change the coil,

do the fuel filter as that can be a factor adding to the lack of power.

See what happens after that.

I will add into it that it does hesitate to start sometimes. Which could possibly be both ignition coil or fuel filter lol. The ignition coil is £12 and the fuel filter is £9 so. Maybe I could just get both and change anyways. Car has done 100.000 miles so ignition coil has probably never been done?

I will add into it that it does hesitate to start sometimes. Which could possibly be both ignition coil or fuel filter lol. The ignition coil is £12 and the fuel filter is £9 so. Maybe I could just get both and change anyways. Car has done 100.000 miles so ignition coil has probably never been done?

Do them both at that price, but before you do that unplug the MAF sensor (on the airbox pipe). see if that helps

Unplug it and leave it off?

Unplug it and leave it off?

unplug it then go for a test drive, if that makes the car faultless then you will have to clean or replace the MAF sensor

I owned a MK3 golf GTI and i had the same problem and that sorted it out after i replaced it.

You can clean it with electrical cleaner I would of thought couldn't I?

You can clean it with electrical cleaner I would of thought couldn't I?

I would not clean it with any liquid only ear buds but that is just me, I just bought a used one around £10 of eBay and that sorted it on my golf..

Ah I see. I saw several videos on YouTube saying to clean with electrical spray. Ill have a browse on eBay just out of curiosity how much a second hand one is :-) thanks for the suggestion

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club