Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing My Timing Belt, Do I Need To Change The Water Pump Too?

tim-92

I'm getting some quotes for replacing my timing belt on my 2006 1.6 petrol ford focus.

One garage has said the water pump does not need to be replaced as it is run off the fan belt, I'm not mechanically minded and I've always heard you get the water pump replaced whenever the timing belt is done so obviously this sounds odd to me.

can anybody help enlighten me on this?

Garage is right, waterpump not required, but pumps do leak often so it can be a precautionary measure as the pump is located behind cam cover

On the 1.4/1.6 Duratec engine the water pump is driven by the auxiliary belt but it is mounted behind the timing belt. To remove the water pump the timing belt tensioner must be removed. There is also a great risk of coolant leaking on the timing belt during replacement of the water pump which can affect the lifetime of the timing belt (If coolant has leaked onto the timing belt Ford prescribes to replace the timing belt).

It is recommended to replace the water pump if the timing belt is replaced. Changing the waterpump during the replacement of the timing belt will only cost you the cost a small amount of extra labour and the costs of the new water pump. if the water pump on its own needs to be replaced on a later time the labout costs will be much higher.

It just makes economical sense most of the time but not a necessity as it's awkward to get at might be best save the extra labour and have it done whilst there in there .

Water pump on the tivct you can access it without touching the belt or tensioner unless the standard 1.6 is different ? Depends on mileage I didn't do mine at 64k on 85k now pumps fine I believe they are aluminum impellars not plastic so don't need changed like old ones

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club