Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

On 10/4/2018 at 5:54 PM, Lenny said:

Looks excellent mate 👍

The white compliments the oak nicely 

Thanks Lenny. To update dad fitted the door handles and shelves in. Used three pieces of wood to do the shelves. 2 pieces for the side next to the middle piece and a long piece going across the back. Also screwed in an electrical socket. 

Today finally put the cabinet in my room however dad is saying to put brackets on which bolt the cabinet to the wall incase any little kids try to pull on it. 

DSC_0571.JPG

DSC_0572.JPG

53 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Thanks Lenny. To update dad fitted the door handles and shelves in. Used three pieces of wood to do the shelves. 2 pieces for the side next to the middle piece and a long piece going across the back. Also screwed in an electrical socket. 

Today finally put the cabinet in my room however dad is saying to put brackets on which bolt the cabinet to the wall incase any little kids try to pull on it. 

Very tidy with the sockets inside aswell,

If your looking for a silent running air pump I highly recommend the Tetra APS300 

Also I agree with fixing it to the wall in some way to prevent the risk of falling on the kids as they will be attracted to the aquarium, 

Reason we have an aquarium ourselves is because the kids bought it with birthday money 

• Like 1

I do like seeing this Facebook memory this morning...  Can't believe it was 8 years ago though...  😮  Back when I owned photogenic cars lol, or maybe I was better at taking pictures back then? Who knows... :laugh:  

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 2

@TomsFocus car looks really nice to be honest 👍. Really like those headlights you put on made it look smarter.

In terms of DIY the fish tank cabinet is in my room now however might fix it to the wall just in case any kids could pull on the doors and I do not want 130 litres of water to fall down ruining the floor and also the downstairs ceiling. Supported the shelves by adding a block of wood under and the electrical socket is fixed on also. Just want to set the tank up 🤣

DSC_0575.JPG

DSC_0573.JPG

DSC_0574.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zain611 said:

@TomsFocus car looks really nice to be honest 👍. Really like those headlights you put on made it look smarter.

Thanks.  :smile:  Those projector lights were really rare and made by ABM, only ever saw one other set for sale in the UK!  Swapped them between several 306s before selling them to a forum mate...last I heard his car got written off with them still on. :sad:   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks.  :smile:  Those projector lights were really rare and made by ABM, only ever saw one other set for sale in the UK!  Swapped them between several 306s before selling them to a forum mate...last I heard his car got written off with them still on. :sad:   

I do hate how rare factory xenon headlights are on older cars. Aftermarket ones don't look too bad but I'd stick to factory (if it exists on that car). My dad managed to find a VW bora with factory xenon headlamps on it. He bought 3 boras the third one he'd keep and swap the xenons from the other one. I've noticed projector headlamps don't seem to get haze on them. He did manage to get factory xenons for his mk1 focus saloon however didn't get to put them on as was fed up with the car. There would be times where it would just cut out on him which is really odd for a diesel and that also put him off a manual. I remember the guy who came to get the lights saying it was difficult finding them. If only they made factory xenon headlights for the mk6 fiestas. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zain611 said:

In terms of DIY the fish tank cabinet is in my room now however might fix it to the wall just in case any kids could pull on the doors and I do not want 130 litres of water to fall down ruining the floor and also the downstairs ceiling. Supported the shelves by adding a block of wood under and the electrical socket is fixed on also. Just want to set the tank up 🤣

Not to mention the broken glass and drowned kid which would be the biggest matter in the event of such incident 😂

Nice TV box snook in to the photos there mate 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lenny said:

Not to mention the broken glass and drowned kid which would be the biggest matter in the event of such incident 😂

Nice TV box snook in to the photos there mate 👍

Hopefully will get to showing my room 🤣. Just need to put in the fish tank, desk, sort out the window alarm and get the wires sorted behind the TV before switching it on. 

• Like 1

I do like watching shows like Wheeler Dealers etc and checking whether the cars they work on are still on the road and what the MOT history is like.

What kinda worries me is that when you check the MOT history against the year the programme was made you can work out when they put it through, and what faults were still on it when they sold it! Sometimes the list of advisories would make you shiver!

• Like 1

I do like learning some new DIY skills and doing a job myself instead of getting a Tradesman in saving myself around €400.

I work in the pharmaceutical industry and im a chemical process operator, I've no history in fitting plasterboard or anything like that, I've done some carpentry and electrical work in the last but not plaster and I was concerned about doing it in case I'd get dry rott or something.

However having spoken with my supervisor last weekend; he was telling me that he insulated his hallway with insulated plaster board sheets,

This was a job I've been wanting to get done myself on our bedroom wall for over a year now; because I fitted a 1" flexible drain pipe to the wall containing cables for a television which i planned on mounting to the wall, 

20181013_121030.thumb.jpg.d648152f0d9867b4167a7db06169edfc.jpg

This is a neighbouring wall and also a roof supporting wall so I was reluctant to chase out the one inch space from the block work to conceal the pipe, instead I just chased off the plaster and fitted the pipe against the block work and secured it with what we call Galvoband it's galvanised flexible strip with loads of holes in it,

Anyway back on topic now, 

He told me the bits I would need to purchase to get the job done, so I went to the local DIY wholesaler chain store last Thursday morning and bought two 8ft x 4ft sheets of 1" backed plasterboard sheets, an 8mm x 210mm masonry drill bit for an SDS Drill, a can of expanding foam and a pack of what he called "express fixings"

20181014_111506.thumb.jpg.0deba915591c618bea854556615d3e8c.jpg

The overall cost of materials was €160 overall including VAT, and home delivery of the plasterboard's,

had i gotten someone in to do the job could have been €600

The floor to ceiling height in the house is supposed to be 8ft but when we tried to stand up the 8ft sheet it wouldn't fit 😂 got the wife between the sheets there lol plasterboard sheets.

20181013_121756.thumb.jpg.72ae85178e127171a7b1e9314e2f6d00.jpg

So I had to cut 3" inches off the bottom of the sheet to allow the fitment aswell as giving an inch clearance for using the see-saw method and changing the flooring, this space will be covered by the skirting board.

20181013_201027.thumb.jpg.ac6f0f5a7013fa3831bee0c48e0ed7bf.jpg

Cut out the insulation to allow the pipe containg the cables poke through 

20181013_122759.thumb.jpg.b8f7279b1b6f817f83e434bb5a17b4c0.jpg

My Supervisor in work told me; when fitting the plasterboard sheets to get two pieces of wood and create like a see-saw under the sheet like in the image below, then push the sheet against the wall; stand on the wooden strip and it will press the sheet tight to the ceiling then you just need to drill two holes and hammer in the express fixings to support in place,

20181013_200953_zpsnanvtg5p_edit_1539498190889_zpsxdvjiujh.thumb.jpg.9667482671fc93942285b6cf0d8c114f.jpg

Yoh can then remove the wood and fit further fixings to the sheet spacing them roughly 12" square, keep in 12" from the edges of the sheet aswell to prevent warping the edge.

20181013_140425.thumb.jpg.4623ea01a32556c9fcbc597958cee7f8.jpg

So here it is 😅 all fitted and the fixings filled over with Ronseal filler, 

20181013_181253.thumb.jpg.68eb2dfbe751482fe250ea7775d05d23.jpg

20181015_190850.thumb.jpg.98228de9f7cb41c9abcd4afabb335891.jpg

I'll get sanding it tomorrow and painting, 

I'm delighted with myself having saved Labour costs getting someone in to do it all thanks to my supervisor in work and the maintenance manager for lending me a cordless SDS Drill for the weekend as I only have a normal one.

I'm also updating an old post on my home project thread to reflect the progress this information may interest or inspire others too. https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?page=3

• Like 3

House purchase is finally complete!!

And we've already started wrecking the joint 😁

The former landlord (partner's brother) is coming to shift some of his old crap, so I cleared a little bit if ivy from the entrance to the old orangery.  Unfortunately...it wasn't really all that safe...the ivy brought the pillars down with it 😂😂

The wisteria and the raspberry tree (it's at least 40 years old and no longer fruits) are going along with the ivy!!

received_282425585944547.jpeg

• Like 3

I do like being a published photographer! 😁

I sent a pic to a trucking magazine a few months ago, promptly forgot about it until I got an email asking for my address to send my payment........a £10 voucher! 😎

IMG_20181014_202141764.jpg

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Turvey said:

I do like being a published photographer! 😁

I sent a pic to a trucking magazine a few months ago, promptly forgot about it until I got an email asking for my address to send my payment........a £10 voucher! 😎

IMG_20181014_202141764.jpg

The original pic if anyone is interested in trucks etc

IMG_20180515_091235528.jpg

• Like 4

Watching a program at the moment about costs of driving. Funnily enough they had 'Mr loophole' on there the guy who helped Beckham not having to pay his speeding ticket. Something which I like him saying is he doesn't like the use of speed cameras as he says it's the inexperience / people messing about who have accidents than people going just over the limit. He says that people who are going along there day to work will drive appropriately. 

Sad thing they started mentioning is death of young children from cars. A 17 year old was driving his car when someone cut in front of him which caused him to swerve and crash killing him. The other driver sadly couldn't be traced. His mum was begging the council to get something down at that junction. Thankfully they reduced the limit from 60mph to 40.

There was also a talk about why there should be warning letters when someone commits an event before fining them if they commit it again. What they said was they won't know if it's the same owner of the car or new owner that could commit the offence so makes it hard to know. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zain611 said:

Watching a program at the moment about costs of driving. Funnily enough they had 'Mr loophole' on there the guy who helped Beckham not having to pay his speeding ticket. Something which I like him saying is he doesn't like the use of speed cameras as he says it's the inexperience / people messing about who have accidents than people going just over the limit. He says that people who are going along there day to work will drive appropriately. 

Sad thing they started mentioning is death of young children from cars. A 17 year old was driving his car when someone cut in front of him which caused him to swerve and crash killing him. The other driver sadly couldn't be traced. His mum was begging the council to get something down at that junction. Thankfully they reduced the limit from 60mph to 40.

There was also a talk about why there should be warning letters when someone commits an event before fining them if they commit it again. What they said was they won't know if it's the same owner of the car or new owner that could commit the offence so makes it hard to know. 

I think dash cams have really helped in road safety, In an environment that is almost impossible to completely regulate, 

The dash cam helps to eliminate the trend setter and scam artist on the road,

My dash cam recorded a 7 seater stop in front of me at a junction followed by reversing in to me then the driver tried to say I ran in to the back of him and his 6 passengers all got out 😅🖕 I emailed the footage to my insurance company whom he was also insured with and well he paid for a full repair on my focus #Sour 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Lenny said:

I think dash cams have really helped in road safety, In an environment that is almost impossible to completely regulate, 

The dash cam helps to eliminate the trend setter and scam artist on the road,

My dash cam recorded a 7 seater stop in front of me at a junction followed by reversing in to me then the driver tried to say I ran in to the back of him and his 6 passengers all got out 😅🖕 I emailed the footage to the insurance company whom he was also insured with and well he paid for a full repair on my focus #Sour 

At least thankfully you were able to get his insurance to pay out. It's the money which makes people lie. Saying that I need to check my SD card on my dash cam. Seems like it can't automatically erase data and some files I can't open as it says it's corrupted. It's not able to record if it can't overwrite the data 

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

At least thankfully you were able to get his insurance to pay out. It's the money which makes people lie. Saying that I need to check my SD card on my dash cam. Seems like it can't automatically erase data and some files I can't open as it says it's corrupted. It's not able to record if it can't overwrite the data 

Mine has gone that way too 

Think I need to replace the SD card 

• Like 1

I like Alcohol Free Bud,i aint drunk a can or pint for over 15 years because of being a carer so need to jump into my car at any time,never smoked by the way either.

I use to love my Fridays and Saturdays out until early hours in clubs but things move on so you just have to follow.

Someone got me a pack of 4 x  330ml cans and never knew i was having them so tried them and there ok,i just like the taste of the Larger,only had 8 in the last 3 weeks.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jace1969 said:

I like Alcohol Free Bud,i aint drunk a can or pint for over 15 years because of being a carer so need to jump into my car at any time,never smoked by the way either.

I use to love my Fridays and Saturdays out until early hours in clubs but things move on so you just have to follow.

Someone got me a pack of 4 x  330ml cans and never knew i was having them so tried them and there ok,i just like the taste of the Larger,only had 8 in the last 3 weeks.

Our 17 year old son had a bottle of alcohol free Becks the other day, I've not had a Becks in quite a few years but tasted pretty similar to 'proper' beer to me. 🍻

• Like 2

It makes me think now looking back that if drinking is just for the Taste or to get drunk and act in a different way as then you can say ''i was drunk'' as

i do like it in Alcohol free ,must try the Becks next then but hard to get them in Asda and supermarkets.

1 hour ago, jace1969 said:

It makes me think now looking back that if drinking is just for the Taste or to get drunk and act in a different way as then you can say ''i was drunk'' as

i do like it in Alcohol free ,must try the Becks next then but hard to get them in Asda and supermarkets.

Pretty sure ours came from Tesco 😉

• Like 1

I do like my car making the local paper. 

It's a bit ironic in that the article relates to a petition a neighbour has raised calling for traffic measures in our area. Whilst I'm all for slowing cars down in the area, what he's proposing goes against the original planning application for the area. This includes taking away bollards that were installed to stop rat-run through traffic and was one of the reasons we chose this specific site to build our house on. The only thing that would do would take traffic away from his house and redirect it by ours. 

So we didn't sign his petition 😁

Maybe this should have been in the 'I don't like' thread 🤔

IMG_20181020_062059714.jpg

• Like 1

@Turvey if I was able to change traffic / Road layouts I'd focus more on bad drivers for example those who go in the wrong lane then indicate into their desired lane at the Last second. In terms of traffic and Road safety I think they should put cat eyes on the kurbs so it makes it easier to see in the night.

I had an incident where I was approaching a medium sized roundabout when some van driver cut in front of me. We went on the roundabout and he got off his bit towards a petrol station. Because he cut in front and was close in front i couldn't properly plan ahead so when he turned off I misjudged the turn and mounted the pavement. Luckily just a scrape from under but that just fuels my hatred for van drivers. 

Possibly put more traffic cameras to catch impatient drivers cutting through traffic and fine them. I can see innocent people doing this if they went in the wrong lane but if the fine isn't much like £30 it might not be bad plus people who drive on the same roads everyday would now what lane to be in. You can kind of sense when you see an impatient driver

11 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Our Tesco's alcohol-free display 😉

IMG_20181020_155743243.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turvey said:

Our Tesco's alcohol-free display 😉

IMG_20181020_155743243.jpg

40799216_1456933624-91d8f516aea03e3d488a9f765035ee11-1038x5760.thumb.jpg.383f4d6e19dbf9beab36294c3963798d.jpg

• Haha 1