Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broken Easy Fill System?

Dee_82

Hi Guys, ive got an issue with the lovely ford easy fill system an im hoping someone can help me out, ive found an eBay replacement part, genuine ford, for 20 quid but its only got 6 hours on the clock so time is running short!

So today, pulled up to fill the car as usual, put the wee black filler thing in the hole to add some additives but it went in too far, the little lip around the plastic filler went inside the outer rim of the filler hole

so, after a moment of panic and some muscle, I got the stupid thing out a bit, added the additive, and tried to fill up.

Heres where the problems started, put the hose in as normal, (never had an issue with leaks) but the pump was tripping every second, I managed to get about 5l in before I realised It was also pisssing out all over the floor, probably about 100-200ml

I had a wee look inside, it all looked normal, so paid and left and tried another garage, same problem.

So, does anyone have any tips on fixing it, is it even fixable? I can get my hands dirty so don't mind playing about but if im going to need a replacement then im going to have to act fast!

who would of though filling up a car can turn in to such a bloomin headache, easy fill my ar$e

I think you have to pull the tank down and take the whole thing apart unfortunately....

• Like 1

Not sure on how the fuel intake pipe is set up but I suspect that you have seperated one part of the pipe from another, might get away with a easy fix but I suspect it will be a pain in the !Removed!.

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

• Like 1

looking at some pictures and microcat I don't think the tank should need dropped, its got two flexi hoses coming from the bottom of the filler pipe to the tank, im hoping to work something out without too much hassle.

quite a few folk suggested hitting it with a hammer, apparently the flaps can get stuck inside, that didn't work though.

So ive ordered the one from eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-SPORT-2010-1-6TDCI-HATCH-5-DR-fuel-supply-pipe-/231485075145?nma=true&si=AaXbiwZf5+UQIrZnZ7oR7ro45FA=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

need to remove wheel arch liner, wheel, pop the filler flap, then the rest should just be a couple of bolts, its the hoses that ill need to work out what to do, without dumping 15 litres of diesel on the floor

• Like 1

You can replace the easy fill from outside, no need to strip down. Will check tommorow for sure and let you know. I've done one on a kuga like that

• Like 1

Unfortunatly looks like the later fords that you can just replace the easy fuel cap from qbove, its easy enough to do your version though, what I would do is wait u til your down to 1/4 tank then you wont have any spilling.

righty, so wheel off, liner out and......... why did I think it would be that simple!!

The damn hoses connect to the metal filler pipe in a position that's almost completely hidden from view let alone access. the main rubber pipe on the tank side is visible but the breather pipe is over the top of the tank, out of sight.

this isn't looking so good.

I did notice on microcat that the "valve" part of the filler pipe is separate to the main body, it appears to be held in with some plastic clips but for the life of my I cant separate it.

any suggestions? for every 30-40 quid of fuel that goes in about 5 quid ends up on the floor :(

im gonna have to drop the tank aren't I?

I think so....

if I remove the shock does it drop any lower?

I think if I can get another inch I can reach in through the side

ill need to replace those daft ford hose clips but there might be just enough room...

Can you not undo the tank straps and lower the tank slightly, making sure the tank has support so it doesn't drop off?

(Not sure on focus, only seen it on a mk2 mondeo tank dropping so could be completely different)

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

I think goodkat has the best option here, certainly for simplicity.

Im not sure i can do that on my own if im honest... not sure i could drop it enough to get on top but not to much to mess anything else up. i was hoping to use the existing hoses thats attached to the tank and connect the metel filler pipe to those hoses.

if i remove the shock and the arm drops down a bit further i think i can manipulate the hose on to the new filler pipe, accessing it via the wheel arch.

it also appears that ford changed the design of the filler pipe between 2008 and 2010, the flap looks a lot more secure and durable on this newer one.

righty, seems dropping the tank isn't necessary, you can access the rubber pipes, its a hassle but is doable.

what is completely blody impossible to do however is remove the damn filler pipe.

So, we removed the filler cap, undid the two bolts and slacked off the filler pipe from body, disconnected rubber hoses from pipe and then we were stuck, filler pipe will physically not come out of the car, its wedged between the spare wheel housing and the (subframe? where the coil meets the body an runs from one side to the other) no matter what we tried it will not rotate enough or move enough to come out.

So, short of removing the whole works or bending the filler pipe im at a loss, no wonder its not in Haynes, they would neeed an extra spanner on their wee scale

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club