Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battle Of The Polishes!!!!!

sonic113

ok fellas I usually use the autoglym products as they get good reviews and do a decent all round job. Recently I have been told about a product that's been on market I think for a long time now and as a few different varieties (like all the products for car cleaning lol!) .

So what I want to ask is has anybody heard or used this product and is it any better than the usual stuff like autoglym ect and would it be safe enough for the paintwork?

The product in talks here is called "Mer".

Here are some links tot he stuff and a video link showing it in action.

Now the fella who told me about this swears by it but I myself dont know to be honest as I have not used it but if anyone has used this before let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks.

also feel free to recommed any other products as summer is coming and it that time of year to get the cars all cleaned up.

Link to product:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-

keywords=mer+polish&sprefix=mer+polish%2Caps%2C183&rh=n%3A248877031%2Ck%3Amer+polish&ajr=0

Video link1 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZd7gnElfAE

Video link 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7FW9r6hars

It all depends buddy on what you want, do you want the car shiny or do you want it swirl free? If you want it swirl free my advice is getting hold of a buffer and learning the three stages, cut, polish, finish, basically the cutting stage is the harshest, will remove most marks etc, then the polish will remove swirls and the finish will remove any hazing or buffer marks.

As far as autoglym goes, popular products like SRP (Super Resin Polish) are mostly a filler with very little cut, but has a slight amount of sealant in it, it makes swirls etc look unnoticeable but after a wash or two they will return as the sealant will fail.

Mers polish has been on the market for years and also has a low cut.

My advice for you, if you aren't hugely into car care, is hop over yo Halfrauds and grab yourself some g3 products such as the hand wax and polish pads (very good imho) some paint restoration polish which has a heavy cut, add to the polish pad and work into the paint then wipe off with a microfiber cloth, the next step would be using some of your SRP (No point spending any more money) and use the olish pad over the paint again, between steps rinse the pad with warm water, after using the SRP remove with a cloth again then pick up some paste wax, for below £20 there are some great value paste waxes on the market (personally I use poorboys nattys paste wax, I get maybe two months protection before beading starts to fail) but in Halfords they sell simonz for around £6/7 which is decent for the price (gold tin) otherwise g3's passye wax is supposed to be decent, using the wax applicator, apply to half a panel at a time and allow to cure then wipe off with a clean microfiber.

Should produce good results, hope this helps.

I don't claim to be an authority on detailing or polishing etc ........ just a 'Saturday morning polisher', so for what it is worth, here's my bit;

MER has been around for many years and I have tried it with (at the time) good results, but I encountered it to have quite a bit of residue and actually as time moved on it didn't really give me any better results than other brands (of which I have tried many varieties)

but I have to say, from now on I am a Gtechnique man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just applied the C2 v3 product, and albeit on a brand new car which of course will help, but that stuff has given what I would describe as the absolute best finish I have ever had from a 'hand' applied process

good luck

Gtechnique <3 The science behind car car haha

Have used Mer for a few years and it's always given the darkest and shiniest finish on all my cars.

if I'm using a polish to hide swirl marks or scratches then AutoGlym SRP or Meguiars Ultimate Polish give the best results for this, although not the deepest shine.

Polish is merely a cutting agent which lifts dead oxidised paint or laquer and will make your car shine but it does not put a wax coating on the paint so after polishing you must wax to protect your shine

ive been using mer for yonks now.i also use it to wash my car 1st,couple of capfuls into a bucket.always given me good results.

I will agree with gregers, it is handy to add into your wash bucket!

Chemical Guys stuff is great:)

Thanks fellas I think I will stick to the autoglym stuff as I have been doing for many years. I use the auto glym body shampoo conditioner to wash the car and then polish with SRP and then use extra gloss protection to help seal the shine ect.

On the interior and any trim I use vinyl and rubber care and then on the wheels I clean with autoglym clean wheels and do the tyres with instant tyre dressing so after all that I get a decent results so for know I think i will stick to the autoglym.

Thanks for the advice and tips fellas.

Autoglym isn't that great your just paying for the brand, would not recommend using on white cars :)

MER for the money is a good product

All comes down to cost example sonax is used by f1 teams there sonax polish is £6.99 a bottle and does a great job

..... top with sonax netshield .

£12.99 that lasts for months...... 1 bottle does 4 cars worth

tyres I use simple back to black spray on a sponge which also does the trim £4.99

autoglym I found doesn't last too many products costing too much money meguires is the same I've used poorboys stuff which is pretty good as well so less than £30 does me at less 6 months that's the price of a bottle of son of the polishes yet I get asked all the time what I use

• Like 1

thanks for the input fellas. when my current bottles of autoglym run out I might try other stuff and see how I get on. :)

Autoglym do some good stuff and some not so good stuff. I have used most of their gear and I would agree that they tend to have too many products. That said, super resin polish is still a good polish and other products such as aqua wax I wouldn't clean a car without it. Their not so good products are still decent products in their own right.

• Like 1