Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 Not Starting

saklak

All weird problems on my car.

Yesterday, I parked my car. When i came back after 3-4h i opened the door with the remote, like usual, on the dashboard i can see km, temperature like usual, but when i push the key to II nothing happens, no lights, no sound on a solenoid, nothing, like I wouldnt do anything.

Imobiliser light has the same frequency, and when I push the key to III of course nothing happens. Removed the negative lead for 1h no change, checked all fuses with a multimeter without removing them (it is a valid measure ?) and all seam to have continuity. Everything else seams to be working fine, horn - same sound, outside lights same intensity, what else i could check ?

Thanks in advance.

No ideea ? Nothing common here ? :d

not even a click? did you leave something in the 12v socket while you were away? i would try a jump start to see if that helps

No click, no sound. I did not left anything anywhere to drain my battery. No signs before.

I have a modified elm, as I already knew you can't connect to the car if you can't put the key

on II, but I tried anyway. So with the key on II I tried to read those modules, I've been able

to get data from gem and there was 11.8V reading in there which I think is fine. Not all modules

worked reading and the ones which did, there was no error ( just the ones with the windows because

I removed the battery).

While I was trying to connect with elm after several attempts, suddenly all lights on dash came on, all sounds,

even the front wipers went up and then everything died. Also while I was using elm I hear a wierd sound, like

boiling sound behind the bord, which I remember I heard it few days back. So I think it's a short somewhere.

I will also upload a video a few minutes later, not sure about the quality but maybe will explain better what are

the symptoms.

sounds to me like something has been damaged by reading modules with the ELM, also 11.8v is low for a battery it should be at least 12.4v when off

That's the reading from gem, using elm. I should measure the voltage on the battery also but I forgot.

here's the video:

Is your Pats light still flashing when the key is in position 2? It looks like it is but hard to tell from your video.

If so for some reason the car is not seeing the transponder and hence no start allowed. I think your car is immobilized.

If that is the case then the HEC is not reading the transponder and sending a signal to the PCM to allow the car to start.

Could be a wiring fault or a faulty cluster or various other things.

Yup still flashing. But not changing the frequency to show an error code. But what you said might be the case. I tried with both

keys.

Anyway if the key is not recognized will not light up at all the IC?

I would also still try charging the battery just to be sure and rule that out. I would also check all the fuses in both the GEM and the engine fuse box just to be sure start with the simple easy stuff first. Make sure you check the midi or mega fuse links in the engine bay fuse box too.

Had not noticed from the video that you are getting no lights on the dashboard at all with key in position 2, so basically you have no power or not enough power going to various components i.e the HEC cluster. It could be just a battery issue, charge the battery or try jump starting it, or replace the battery. Just because it is showing a reasonable charge does not meant he battery is a good one. Start there first.

Ok will start again by checking the fuses. Then a jump start. Then will call ford. I had 2 years ago another problem with

my IC, I just hope it's not that again. Will let you know the result.

Have you done anything to the car recently especially anything to do with the engine bay fuse box or GEM module?

Nothing, elm was last time connected more than 6 months ago. Nothing to give me a hint.

It could even be a dodgy ignition barrel, basically when you turn the key you are not getting power to the ignition hence no lights on dashboard and therefore possibly no communication between the HEC and PCM either.

I was thinking to a ignition contact problem, but I don't know how to check that.

Anyway I double checked all fuses, tried a jump start - no difference. Called ford,

tomorrow at 12 will handle it and probably will have an answer. Will keep you posted.

Might be nothing this but I had a problem getting a Nissan started a couple of years ago.....basically there was a part from the ignition barrel that was shorting out ....sometimes it would start sometimes not. there was no pattern to it.

Got the part replaced and had no more bother

Finally got my car back. It was a broken wire between battery junction box and ignition

switch. Water got there somehow and broke that wire. I was having 3v at the ignition switch

instead of 12v

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club