Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Gps Tracker Has Arrived...

L22EEW

My new GPS tracker has arrived today, something simple - yet effective!

Opted for a Vodafone Smart 4 mini from amazon. Currently with Talktalk TV/phone/Fibre as a plus customer, meaning I can get a FREE monthly sim contract with 200mb of data (plus some free calls/text). Although I only wanted to use the SIM for the data. So i've created a brand new Gmail email address (literally just for the Fiesta), and assigned it to the Vodafone Smart 4 mini. I've set-up the location service, meaning I can "track" the device should I need to. I've also tried the "Android Device manager" app, and that works too. Now all I need to do is find a lovely hiding place :rolleyes:

post-62796-142533186908_thumb.jpg

post-62796-14253318812_thumb.jpg

post-62796-142533190228_thumb.jpg

What about it running out of charge ? You'll have to take it out of the car all the time ? Other than that it seems an alright idea as a cheap tracker option. Funny how you could ring the phone aswell and be like liam neeson if they answered.

• Like 1

I thought about doing this in my fezzy . Wiring a 12v cigarette lighter in with a usb adapter in .. so that when the igntion is on the phone charged

What about it running out of charge ? You'll have to take it out of the car all the time ? Other than that it seems an alright idea as a cheap tracker option. Funny how you could ring the phone aswell and be like liam neeson if they answered.

Easy! Just leave a charger in the car. Plus i've turned off the Google Sync, and just left the location/GPS on. Plus I have no apps/emails/etc linked to the new Fiesta Gmail account, so nothing to download - meaning longer battery life. I'm going to experiment with the 2G and 3G toggle, see how long a full charge lasts on 3G - plus on a 2G connection.

I thought about doing this in my fezzy . Wiring a 12v cigarette lighter in with a usb adapter in .. so that when the igntion is on the phone charged

Thought about this, but can't be bothered with faffing about with wiring. I'm going to keep a charger in the car, and use it when needed.

Will it see the gps signals if hidden away ? If not would rely on data signal and not entirely sure how accurate.

Will it see the gps signals if hidden away ? If not would rely on data signal and not entirely sure how accurate.

Well i'm going to give it a go, and see how I get on. It seem's to track my LG G2 very well, in the car, out of the car, or anywhere I go really.

Looks like a good idea, and it should work ok even hidden inside the car. Even if it doesn't get the strongest GPS signal, that shouldn't matter because you don't need pinpoint accuracy. Do you have some way to track the car if it's stolen? I can just imagine chasing a stolen car by following it on GPS lol.

Looks like a good idea, and it should work ok even hidden inside the car. Even if it doesn't get the strongest GPS signal, that shouldn't matter because you don't need pinpoint accuracy. Do you have some way to track the car if it's stolen? I can just imagine chasing a stolen car by following it on GPS lol.

With my LG G2 I've got the "android device manager" app installed. So all I need to do, is log in with the Fiesta's Gmail address, and it will locate the current location. Or if I want to track it's location history, I've bookmarked the "Google Map location history" https://maps.google.com/locationhistory into my Opera browser on my LG G2. Log in there with the Fiesta's Gmail account, and the location history will show on a map.

Easy. Peasy! ;)

Working like a treat!

post-62796-142539220498_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That would be great if you ever forget where you parked lol, you can't lose your car when you can get your phone to show you where it is :)

That would be great if you ever forget where you parked lol, you can't lose your car when you can get your phone to show you where it is :)

Especially if you forget where you parked in a long stay airport car park! Lol :D

• Like 2

Look at the obd2 tracker with a splitter and hide it all behind the dash

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Look at the obd2 tracker with a splitter and hide it all behind the dash

I did have one on order: (but cancelled the order after 3 days)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KX0FGZG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_

But read some of the reviews, and some said the SIM card slot was too big for the sim card. Plus some others said they couldn't get the device to work. As it being a China made product, I know how unreliable these products can be. Besides I've already hidden the real OBD port, and fitted a dummy in it's place ;)

What OBD2 tracker would you recommend?

• Like 1

Ah right, I haven't tried one, I've got my old iPhone wired in behind the dash

• Like 1

Ah right, I haven't tried one, I've got my old iPhone wired in behind the dash

Sounds good, but isn't there a risk of the battery over-charging if it's constantly charging while the ignition is on? Have you got any photo's showing this, I wouldn't mind having a nose :rolleyes:

I used a 12v timer on for 3hours every 72 hours wired to a obd splitter lead with a live and earth and tucked it behind the radio.

• Like 1

I could try this with my old HTC, it's sitting in a drawer not doing anything so should put it to some use. If there's any risk of overcharging I'll just charge it whenever it needs it, but aren't phones designed so they can't overcharge?

I'm quite happy to charge my phone while driving. Then unplug it when parked up, stashing the phone somewhere in the car. Plus the phone is only in standby mode anyway, meaning battery drain will be minimum.

I'll do a full charge, leave the 3G on to see how long the battery lasts. Then do another full charge, leave the 3G off [run on 2G] and see how long the battery lasts. I will compare results and see what's more beneficial!

• Like 1

It's nice to just forget about it though and not have the bother of stashing it every time you get out

• Like 1

It's nice to just forget about it though and not have the bother of stashing it every time you get out

Yeah that's true, I might do something similar with a timer. Does this mean you can say you have a tracker when getting insurance quotes, and hopefully save money?

I did have one on order: (but cancelled the order after 3 days)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KX0FGZG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_

But read some of the reviews, and some said the SIM card slot was too big for the sim card. Plus some others said they couldn't get the device to work. As it being a China made product, I know how unreliable these products can be. Besides I've already hidden the real OBD port, and fitted a dummy in it's place ;)

What OBD2 tracker would you recommend?

Wow that tracker you linked seems amazing, according to most of the reviews.

Now I only have to somehow convince myself to Shell out for this!

Wow that tracker you linked seems amazing, according to most of the reviews.

Now I only have to somehow convince myself to shell out for this!

True. But the reviews are not for the OBD plug model, they're mainly for the other models... with all that wiring lark! Lol

Looks a good solution. I wish I could get freebies like that lol

Just checked the data used in 24 hours. On 3G, 1.23mb. Lovely stuff! With a data allowance of 200mb per month with the free complementary SIM from Talktalk - ideal!

• Like 2