Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Gps Tracker Has Arrived...

L22EEW

The alternative is to install a y splitter for obd and use both

Its just i have a cam but gps is hit and miss so just wanted a logger that works the same with sd card.

Are these powered off the OBD port.

Are these any good.

It don't say a lot about them like what tf card upto/is it loop record off gps/power off the port/external aerial.

As it shows a few wires.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KX0FGZG?psc=1

I did have one on order, until deciding to cancel it. A different buyer claims that the SIM card slot... was way too big. Meaning a standard sized SIM didn't fit, There is a photo of this shown on his review.

Wasn't really prepared to take a chance, so I opted for a budget Android phone instead.

Budget android is a good idea however there is one issue. A budget android will drain the battery quickly. As such the car battery is more likely to drain and die, so when I eventually install mine I will also be installing a portable emergency phone charger so it uses that battery as a buffer... Also I would be installing it on am ignition live setup I think. That way the battery would last longer.

Budget android is a good idea however there is one issue. A budget android will drain the battery quickly. As such the car battery is more likely to drain and die, so when I eventually install mine I will also be installing a portable emergency phone charger so it uses that battery as a buffer... Also I would be installing it on am ignition live setup I think. That way the battery would last longer.

I'm quite happy with charging the phone every 5 days. [As that's how long the battery lasts].

I'm not keen on the idea of leaving it on a charge, with the ignition on. This will only partially charge the battery each time, overtime this will deteriorate the life of the battery?

It's best to leave the battery run to a minimum level, then whack it on charge for a full recharge.

I'm quite happy with charging the phone every 5 days. [As that's how long the battery lasts].

I'm not keen on the idea of leaving it on a charge, with the ignition on. This will only partially charge the battery each time, overtime this will deteriorate the life of the battery?

It's best to leave the battery run to a minimum level, then whack it on charge for a full recharge.

I've heard that the opposite is true for lithium ion batteries i.e. it's best to charge them every day, I may be wrong of course.

I've heard that the opposite is true for lithium ion batteries i.e. it's best to charge them every day, I may be wrong of course.

Blast... You might be right [see below]

Do not follow the method of full charge and full discharge. Avoid letting your cell phone's battery run all the way down. Unlike nickel-based batteries (such as the NiCd or NiMH rechargeable AA batteries seen in most supermarkets), lithium-based batteries are designed to be charged early and often, and letting them get too low can damage the battery. [1] With Lithium batteries, doing shallow discharges and frequent charging prolongs battery life.

• Like 1

Yeah I think I read something similar Lee. That's what I've always done with my phones, put them on charge while I get ready for work and then top them up with extra charging whenever they get low.

I think it might have something to do with the batteries getting really hot when they charge for a long time, or small parts of the battery overheating and being damaged. I read something about a new charging system that's being designed which charges the batteries more evenly so there isn't any overheating, and supposedly the batteries will have a much longer life.

May just invest in one of these then [new little project]... Micro USB hard wired charger. Looks really easy to install, run it off the passenger fuse box - with a piggy back fuse. All the wiring can be tucked neatly behind the dash!

post-62796-142670861394_thumb.jpg

May just invest in one of these then [new little project]... Micro USB hard wired charger. Looks really easy to install, run it off the passenger fuse box - with a piggy back fuse. All the wiring can be tucked neatly behind the dash!

Yeah that's basically the same as the one I got to hard wire my dash cam, so it should work well.

Yeah that's basically the same as the one I got to hard wire my dash cam, so it should work well.

What amp fuse(s) did you use in the piggy back fuse, for use of your dashcam?

What amp fuse(s) did you use in the piggy back fuse, for use of your Dashcam?

I think it was a 2 amp, but I don't know what you would need to charge a phone. 2 amps would probably be enough.

• Like 1

I have 2 amp on my piggy pack to my cam so i would go with 2 amp.

As for the OBD thing i just can't get a lot of info on them (do they power there self and signal/loop record over old file)

I like the phone idea just i would like tracker and logger and i have a iPhone,good if it would save the logging on auto.

bluetooth power off the device, USB powers from the laptop

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't overly please with the results I was getting on my "hidden android" device. As it was giving off loads of false readings, and wasn't very accurate. I've now purchased a "proper" tracker ^_^

post-62796-0-44780000-1427530232_thumb.j

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NB2KR66?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

£29.99 from amazon, but if you check their website out, they're selling it there @ £59.99

post-62796-0-94667200-1427530602_thumb.j

The results so far, as much better. There's a magnetic back cover included, meaning I can stick it to any metal surface in the car. The problem I had with the hidden android phone, I couldn't really fix it to a surface, but instead I had to "shove" it somewhere and lodge it into place.

The new GPS tracker purchased is from a Bristol firm http://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk (literally minutes from where I live).

I'm aware that there are other trackers like this one i've purchase, but these are of less quality. The tracking website is spot on to:

post-62796-0-53958800-1427532685_thumb.p

post-62796-0-11643900-1427532707_thumb.p

Also the SMS function is pretty neat:

post-62796-0-46125700-1427533528_thumb.j

• Like 1

The other problem with the Android phones is the power they use I guess. To power the gps and data and other bits as well as run the phone means it's a lot of discharge on the battery and subsequently the cars battery

Does this device draw a map and show the route the car has taken?

Does this device draw a map and show the route the car has taken?

Absolutely:

post-62796-0-76142400-1427537608_thumb.j

paulyinthenorth

Posted Today, 09:59 AM

Deffo gonna fit one of these and dashcam or two at somepoint.

My Mobius dashcam is on order, and should be with me very soon! ;)

• Like 1

Is that tracker able to warn you when the car has moved i.e. if it's stolen? It would be good if it could automatically figure out when it's you driving the car if it can access the location of your phone, or detect it with bluetooth.

Is that tracker able to warn you when the car has moved i.e. if it's stolen? It would be good if it could automatically figure out when it's you driving the car if it can access the location of your phone, or detect it with bluetooth.

Phil, the options are endless with this little beaut:

Currently did have mine set up for constant GPS tracking, but realised that will drain battery rather quick. Instead i've activated the "Less GPRS traffic" [page 27, section 5.32].

The allows TK102-NANO to change to less GPRS traffic mode & sleep by shock sensor mode, if it has been stationary for 5 minutes. Thus saving battery life & internet usage. It will change to normal mode and active GPRS once it detects movement.

This is a good option to have active (it will save the battery), you can STILL call the GPS tracker, and it will reply with current location.

With regards to your question, you can set the tracker to send a SMS if movement is detected.

Shock sensor alarm: When TK102-NANO detects vibration, it will send SMS to authorized numbers

The sensitivity sensor has 3 settings:

First level, alarm will be triggered with slight vibration/movement.

Second level: alarm will be triggered if it detects 8 vibrations in 2 seconds.

Third level: alarm will be triggered if it detects 25 vibrations in 5 seconds.

Also, movement alerts:

post-62796-0-84314800-1427544893_thumb.j

I've set the movement alert to their suggested setting (200 meters)

• Like 1

I must give credit to amazon.co.uk, where it's due.

Remember that Vodafone Smart 4 mini I purchased (aka cheap Android tracker?) - as per 1st post?

Well I decided to return it, as I purchased the TK102-NANO tracker instead earlier this week.

Fair play, they've refunded the full amount - no quibble, no fuss.

post-62796-0-58698600-1427804598_thumb.j

• Like 1

Fair play, they've refunded the full amount - no quibble, no fuss.

That's great, what did you select for the reason for returning it, something like "bought the wrong item"? And maybe it's because you bought it less than a month ago. I've always been impressed with amazon too, very rarely do I have to return anything but I've never had any problems with them.

That's great, what did you select for the reason for returning it, something like "bought the wrong item"? And maybe it's because you bought it less than a month ago. I've always been impressed with Amazon too, very rarely do I have to return anything but I've never had any problems with them.

;) ;)

post-62796-0-38624300-1427805844_thumb.j

• Like 3

;) ;)

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Cool, and clearly they don't really care what the intended purpose is, because I doubt the manufacturer of that phone intended for it to be used as an in-car tracker lol.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club