Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Flip Key Trouble

FocusSmudge

Hi folks,

My Titanium came with a Ford Flip Key as standard and the previous owner also had a spare key cut (just a key) - the spare key when used to open the car will set off the alarm which I understand is normal.

I noticed over the past few weeks the flip key started to become a little unresponsive and took a few presses of the buttons to work. I therefore assumed the battery needed replacing and after the button wouldn't work last night, I bought a new battery this morning.

I can still lock/unlock the car fine with the key on the flip fob and start/drive no problem. The issue is; I have replaced the key as per the Ford user manual but it still doesn't work. I have checked the battery once more which is correct and also in correctly.

Thinking it may need to be reprogrammed, I have tried to activate the key programming, again as per the Ford guide (switching between 0 & II four times in six seconds then reverting to 0) but the system doesn't activate. Do I need to use the spare key for this?

Any idea why the flip key may not be working?

Cheers :)

Are you saying you have bought a new key as a replacement? If you have you can only code the remote locking with the ignition sequence, the new transponder chip will need programming to the car with either IDS or a auto locksmith. Alternatively if you feel up to it and the old key is pretty useless then you could remove the transponder chip from that key and try and fit it into the new key as that one will be coded to the car.

Thanks for the response but it's the same key with a new battery lol

The car came with two keys. The flip key with the replacement battery in this morning and there's also a spare key with no remote fob.

try resetting the ECU, remove the battery and leave it for about 10-15 mins and re-connect. i had a weird issue when the remote locking stopped working altogether and i was only able to open the car with the key in the door lock. disconnecting the battery and re-connecting it fixed the issue.

• Like 1

try resetting the ECU, remove the battery and leave it for about 10-15 mins and re-connect. i had a weird issue when the remote locking stopped working altogether and i was only able to open the car with the key in the door lock. disconnecting the battery and re-connecting it fixed the issue.

Thanks James. I'll give that a go. Just to confirm, that won't erase details of programmed keys will it?

I would be the creek without a paddle then lol

Thanks James. I'll give that a go. Just to confirm, that won't erase details of programmed keys will it?

I would be the creek without a paddle then lol

no it wont. it might reset your stereo though so you will need the stereo code, and the average MPG stuff will most likely be lost too but its not much of a worry about that

Thanks James.

Before I do that, I just tried to enter the learning mode again and now I'm even more confused.

Starting off at position II, If I turn the key to position 0 and then back 4 times the car seems to enter the mode. There's no LED's or beeps that suggest it's on, but if I press a button on the key fob (either in the ignition or out) then the car beeps. I therefore assume that the receiver is working as it should, just the buttons don't...

Furthermore, looking through the owners manual, it says when the battery is low you'll be given a warning on the dashboard. Never had this.

Dropped into Ford on the way home. They want £150 for a new key + program it. No way.

Just to make sure but you have done the remote key procedure correctly haven't you?

Just made a how to for anyone having issues doing it as a picture or a video can easily paint a thousand words.

In fact looking at your post number 7 it seems you are maybe not doing it right.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/67952-video-on-programming-key-remotes-into-your-mk2/

• Like 1

Simon, thanks for the video - really helped and I managed to get into the learn mode properly.

Unfortunately, the buttons still don't work. I find it strange how they worked last night then 5 minutes later completely dead, and with a new battery... :angry:

Try the old battery and also try another new battery it is possible the new battery is no good. Otherwise can you try pressing the micro switches directly on the PCB and see if it works, is the rubber switch worn? The micro switches in key fob remotes can become faulty after time.

Thanks. Just tried all you've suggested above and no luck.

I'll have to buy a black from eBay and see how much an auto locksmith will charge for cut and program.

I can live without the remote function for a while. Although having to quickly put the key in the ignition to prevent the alarm going off will be a little frustrating.

Have you checked that the battery contacts are set right?

Sometimes they can lock in the wrong position and only make intermittent contact.

• Like 1

Thanks Clive. I'll go and check. I'll also disconnect the battery; I need to remove the "-" terminal or will the "+" be enough?

(I notice the "-" is under the scuttle panel)

Negative first

• Like 1

I owe each of you a pint!

Just disconnected the battery for 15mins. Connected it back up and voila! The key fob works perfectly :)

Thanks chaps :D

Pint for Nexus I believe.

I just get a bass shandy ;)

Pint for Nexus I believe.

I just get a bass shandy ;)

Ha lol

Saved me a lot of money that has gents.

glad it worked :) similar issue to what i had then, still no idea what could have caused it though

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club