Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Slipping?

sfrano

Hi guys,

I have a mk2 1.8 tdci, and have noticed today what i think is my clutch slipping.

I do the vast majority of my miles on the motorway and noticed today that under heavy acceleration in 3rd and 4th, the revs increased without any real speed increase.

Its happening at around 1500rpm, slips a bit, then bites again. Throttle response on these is crap anyway, but it starts fine(takes a few seconds on cold mornings, but all of my diesel cars have been like that)

Car has just done 100k, so if this turns into a big bill, I might change it, although id rather not!

I have done a quick search without really getting a solid answer, so can you come to my rescue...again?!

Cheers :)

Sounds like the clutch is going. Have you had the car since new? If not, previous owner may have abused it. Mine is still original at 140k and I'm praying it lasts a couple of years longer. like you, I don't know what I'd do. I've had the car almost 10 years and its never let me down. I'd pay the £800 for a new clutch if I knew I could get another 50k out of it but it would be a gamble.

Don't do anything rash. You should be ok for a driving it for a bit while you confirm it isn't something else and perhaps contemplate your options. Good luck.

I've had it 12 months and already put a new turbo on it :(

Is that really how much it would cost to have the clutch changed? Assuming that's correct, I'm assuming that this job isn't something I could rope my mechanic next-door neighbour into doing on his driveway?

Cheers

itll be around 350-400 for the parts. you would want to change the dual mass flywheel too while you are there, as that is most likely on its way out since youre at 100k

I've had it 12 months and already put a new turbo on it :(

Is that really how much it would cost to have the clutch changed? Assuming that's correct, I'm assuming that this job isn't something I could rope my mechanic next-door neighbour into doing on his driveway?

Cheers

The £800 I mentioned was parts and labour quoted by my trusted independent garage when I was chatting with the owner a couple of months ago. Its quite a big job and it would depend on how experienced your mechanic neighbour is.

The mk2 is quite a good car to change a clutch on, easy enough on the drive - we'll within the capabilities of a mechanic!

If I were to do it myself (by me I mean my neighbour!), what parts would I need?

Just to add another cost, cambelt is due anytime now as well, so is it worth replacing the water pump at the same time? Or could I get away with just the belt?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

If I were to do it myself (by me I mean my neighbour!), what parts would I need?

Just to add another cost, cambelt is due anytime now as well, so is it worth replacing the water pump at the same time? Or could I get away with just the belt?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

you would need all the items in this listing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDEO-1-8-TDCI-6-SP-SACHS-DUAL-MASS-FLYWHEEL-CLUTCH-SLAVE-BEARING-/261324549600?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Model%3AFocus%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+II%7CCars+Type%3A1.8+TDCi&hash=item3cd8282de0

also if you were to do the cambelt then yes you should do the water pump while you are there

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club