Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pcv Valve

soulman123

Hi all,

I was poking around under the bonet and the pcv valve hose has collapsed at the part behind the throttle body.

I can see the end closet to the front of the car goes in to a metal pipe and then the end of the other end is attached behind the throttle body. It's attached with one of those nightmare spring clips an little access to get the water pump pliers on it my weapon of choice for those clips.

Does the valve live on the bit of hose behind the throttle body ?

What actually needs replacing it is just the hose and valve ?

Also that metal tube the other end of the hose connects too does that need replacing ?

Thanks

The pipe needs replaced at the throttle body its just a pipe nothing else...... at the front there is a separate piece of pipe that connects to a metal cylinder which just pulls out that's the pcv valve replace both is best they're reasonably cheap parts

Thanks, ouch £53 for all the bits, or £12.82 for just the hose.

Is it just the hose that deteriorates or is this fault caused by a valve failing ?

I ask as I'm wondering whether to just replace that pancakes bit of hose ?

The spring in the valve gets weak which can cause collapse of the hose no idea where you get the prices but the hose is around £20 eBay have pcv valves for around £10

Done today there was a little oil on the pcv valve is that notmal ?

I got the prices from fordpartsuk website

Job done was very hard for me to get that evil spring clip on the top of the hose off replaced with my old friend a simple jubilee clip.

Is there a way of protecting the pipe from heat damage ?

Question might daft but curiosity got me.

The hose collapsing because of heat damage so I read.

Why does the valve need changing too ? Surely this valve doesn't effect the hose at all ?

Is there a way to check a valve is functioning?

Or any signs its no good ?

Dawned on why today why did I change it ? Lol just curious

They are linked if you follow the routing of the hose from the throttle body it reduces and connects to the same hose coming from the pcv valve the hose you changed is effected by the heat but also the pcv valve spring weakens which then can collapse the hose also the pcv valve should be done every 3 years ......to protect the hose you've replaced theres two options one is to cut a small piece of exhaust heat shield and cable tie hose clips to it do it clips round the hose second is to wrap several layers of tin foil around it securing the foil with some electrical tape

Ahhh thanks for the explanation, very interesting. I will definitely add some shielding to the hose to protect it.

The hose comes from the throttle body round and joins a metal pipe inside that is a ball at the pcv side of the metal pipe the pcv pipe then fits on this end down to the valve

The system relies on the fact that, while the engine is running under light load and moderate throttle opening, the intake manifold's air pressure is always less than crankcase air pressure (see manifold vacuum). The lower pressure of the intake manifold draws air towards it, pulling air from the breather through the crankcase (where it dilutes and mixes with combustion gases), through the PCV valve, and into the intake manifold.

The PCV system usually consists of the 'breather tube' and the 'PCV valve'. The breather tube connects the crankcase to a clean source of fresh airthe air cleaner body. Usually, clean air from the air filter flows into this tube and into the engine after passing through a screen, baffle, or other simple system to arrest a flame front, to prevent a potentially explosive atmosphere within the engine crank case from being ignited from a back-fire into the intake manifold. The baffle, filter, or screen also traps oil mist, and keeps it inside the engine.

Once inside the engine, the air circulates around the interior of the engine, picking up and clearing away combustion byproduct gases, including a large amount of water vapor which includes dissolved chemical combustion byproducts, then exits through another simple baffle, screen, or mesh to trap oil droplets before being drawn out through the PCV valve, and into the intake manifold. On some PCV systems, this oil baffling takes place in a discrete replaceable part called the 'oil separator'.

• 4 weeks later...

Done today there was a little oil on the pcv valve is that notmal ?

I got the prices from fordpartsuk website

Job done was very hard for me to get that evil spring clip on the top of the hose off replaced with my old friend a simple jubilee clip.

Is there a way of protecting the pipe from heat damage ?

How did you get that evil clip off? Tried to replace the pipe today using pliers, gas pliers etc and nothing would work. Couldn't even prise it off with a screw driver. I assume tackling it from above is best? I will be putting a jubilee clip on the new pipe!

It's really annoying me, I'm tempted to go to an independent garage with the new part and ask them to fit it, but I'd hate to spend £50+ on labour for what should be an easy 30 minutes work.

Sorry for the late reply, have just seen your post.

It was a pain. I took to big pipe off from the airbox for more access and after a bit of fiddling I managed to angle my water pump pliers to pinch it. Hate these clips been the pain of many doy jobs.

Have uou managed to undo it ?

Sorry for the late reply, have just seen your post.

It was a pain. I took to big pipe off from the airbox for more access and after a bit of fiddling I managed to angle my water pump pliers to pinch it. Hate these clips been the pain of many doy jobs.

Have uou managed to undo it ?

I took that pipe off too eventually. I just used some wire cutters on one of the bubbles on the clip, it just popped openwith no more strength than you'd use in a handshake. I took the big pipe off too to fit the new pipe.

Unfortunately I have a new problem of constant stalling, I've made a post about it here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/69599-mk1-focus-18-petrol-zetec-stalling/

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club