Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bad Place To Cross The Road And Who Is Wrong: Lorry Or Van?

The Dark Knight

The first video taught me to be even more aware that even when all was clear just 2 seconds ago, pedestrians can pounce. I saw him across the road but hadn't noticed him begin to shuffle into the road as my attention was on the very busy traffic. There is a crossing just up the road too! One to remember for future!

The second video is open to debate!

Don't see what happened there. The van merged between the two lorries. No problem?

• Like 1

Don't see a problem with the van, he was in his own lane and had the legs to get ahead of the first lorry before exiting,

I think the lorry driver in question only saw how far past the other lorry he was and pulled back in,

I don't think he looked in his mirror as he changed lane, I'm sure the slip-road and van would have been in it.

The van was running out of road and had to exit, if there was a collision I'd pin the blame on the Lorry.

I'm very cautious about pulling back in lane after slip-roads for this very reason.

Don't see what happened there. The van merged between the two lorries. No problem?

To clarify, I should have said read the video description. The van driver was waving his fist in anger at the lorry driver which is not visible on the camera. He was not happy at all and the lorry does move back just a little into the overtaking lane so I guess he spotted him at the last minute.

It didn't bother me at all but I thought the van man's anger was amusing so I thought I would post the video.

if you look at the indicators of the lorry in the outside lane he was indicating to come back into the inside lane before the broken lines of the slip road, the van driver should have seen this and adjusted his speed to allow the lorrry back in before exiting the slip road.as an hgv driver i see this every day you are kind enough to pull over to the outside lane to allow a car onto a duel carrageway but as the truck is limited to 56mph the car you have just let in then increases there speed to undertake the truck and leaves you sitting in the outside lane ( instead of letting the truck overtake leaving the car to then overtake the truck ), it all comes down to impatiance.also the van did not indicate to leav the sliproad till the last minute.

• Like 2

if you look at the indicators of the lorry in the outside lane he was indicating to come back into the inside lane before the broken lines of the slip road, the van driver should have seen this and adjusted his speed to allow the lorrry back in before exiting the slip road.

I'm no expert,

But the van was up to speed and running out of road, and just ahead of the inside lorry when the outside lorry indicated,

I think it's wrong to change into a lane that has entering traffic in it, regardless of what you are driving.

The lorry driver just picked a bad place to overtake.

Doesn't look like the van driver had to adjust his speed that much when merging on to the dual carriageway.

I usually try and ensure that when there are slip roads ahead that I switch lanes (if possible) well in advance as there are usually the special few that decide they'll just plant their right foot and fly on the the carriageway.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Van driver is in the wrong. He has no god given right to pull on to the motorway while other traffic is there.

He should have gauged his merge better, he must give way.

He should have gauged his merge better, he must give way.

with telepathy or hindsight?

He had his speed and lane gauged fine, the outside lorry cut in after he was committed to getting in lane.

I drive a van on roads like this every week,

I make damn sure I'm well past the slip if I'm coming back in after overtaking someone, and I double check my mirror.

• Like 1

If a vehicle is joining the main carriageway / motorway they have to give way, not just join "Willy Nilly" & force their way in.

The single broken white line is a "Give Way" line.

See the highway code !

https://www.gov.uk/motorways-253-to-273/joining-the-motorway-259

to quote that highway code,

match your speed to fit safely into the 'traffic flow in the left-hand lane'

what didn't the van do there?

you can see the lorry caught the van in his mirror when it was too late because he pauses and rides the line.

Give Way means just that.

Van driver in the wrong.

give priority to traffic already on the motorway

Give Way means just that.

Van driver in the wrong.

give priority to traffic already on the motorway

To traffic in lane 2? OK

The van was out of road and in danger of being rear ended by the other lorry because he had to break.

To traffic in lane 2? OK

The van was out of road and in danger of being rear ended by the other lorry because he had to break.

I agree Ian,

He was not forcing his way onto the motorway, he gauged his entry perfectly, in that he was entering an empty inside lane at a speed faster than the Lorry already in the inside lane.

It was the wagon driver at fault there, experiance should have taught him not to cut back into the inside lane if he is blind to the merging traffic expected to enter from a slip road.

If I'm travelling in the inside lane on a motorway/ dual carriageway, on approaching a slip road merge point, I always move into lane two [if safe to do so] to make it easier for said merging traffice. Motorways like all roads are shared enviroments, it's not a case of I'm here first so you can "Pittle Off"

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club