Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Is The Better 1.6Tdci 2.0Tdci Engine

Trigger1984

Hi all I'm looking at getting a newer focus but not sure which engine size to get 1.6 tdci or 2.0 tdci can anyone help

thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

depends on how much power and economy you want, personally i would go for the 2.0 tdci

• Like 1

Im after more economy but I've been told 1.6 tdci are common for blowing turbos I would have gone for the 1.6 but I'm unsure now

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

2.0 far superior, no where near as many problems as 1.6.

• Like 1

the 1.6 is fine if its looked after, the blown turbos are largely down to poor oil changes, EGR, leaking injectors.... an a few other things, but generally speaking its a nice wee engine, very efficient and low tax... given the choice and enough money to pay for it, id go for the 2, but im happy with the 1.6

• Like 1

From my experience, I'd say 2.0 litre all the way.

I have the 1.6 and it's possibly the worst experience I have ever had the misfortune to endure. My car has a full service history and has been well looked after and it never fails to let me down. I will be getting rid as soon as I can afford to replace it!

I previously had a 2.0 litre and it was one of the best cars I ever owned and I only replaced it because of its age. Wished I kept it now though.

• Like 1

The 2.0 ltr

Just from what I know and posts on here regarding issues the 2.0 seems to be the one to go for far less issues than the 1.6

Is the 1.6 diesel in the mark 3 the same engine as the mark 2?(sorry to hijack the thread with another question)

Is the 1.6 diesel in the mark 3 the same engine as the mark 2?(sorry to hijack the thread with another question)

I think it is a DV6, but I think like the improvements to the design between the mk2 and 2.5 further improvements would have been made on the mk3. for example it now comes with the cDPF, which is a big plus (but it will still fill up with crap) id imagine they fixed the turbo oil pickup filter issue once and for all as well, but yes I believe it is basically the same PSA DV6 engine

Thanks, just thinking when I change the big car(mondeo 2.0 tdci) whether to stick with diesel as I will probably get a mk 3 focus or get the 1.0 turbo, I've read a lot of bad things about the 1.6, and our 2.0 mondeo has been faultless

• Like 1

I have the 2l bit thirsty around town but far more grunt 34-41mpg town 49-55 motorway depends how heavy my right foot becomes

• Like 1

I also have the 2l. Loads of non-engine related problems, but the unit itself has been pretty good bar and the oil and filter change is stupidly easy.

Agree with James you're looking at 48-53 MPG, but I don't see the drop off you see around town?

You also get the 6 speed box and a whole lot of power. Easy to blank the EGR if required,

• Like 1

The Mk3 1.6 diesel is a different beats altogether, its the 1.6 Duratorq 115PS . QA very nice engine with good power and acceleration. £20 VED

Mk 3 Same engine, still has issues but no where near as bad as earlier versions

I also have the 2l. Loads of non-engine related problems, but the unit itself has been pretty good bar and the oil and filter change is stupidly easy.

Agree with James you're looking at 48-53 MPG, but I don't see the drop off you see around town?

You also get the 6 speed box and a whole lot of power. Easy to blank the EGR if required,

did you get EML lights when you blanked your EGR? or did you remove the EGR programming through a remap?

The Mk3 1.6 diesel is a different beats altogether, its the 1.6 Duratorq 115PS . QA very nice engine with good power and acceleration. £20 VED

Its still the same engine, just slightly modified, but its based on the DV6, the original mk2 had most of the horror stories, in the 2.5 they can fixed some of the stuff, for example, having a slightly different path for the oil feed pipe for the turbo, the thought being the DPF was cooking off the oil.

Its evolved without a doubt and id put money on there being even less issues with this one, course, its still French which instantly puts it behind the others engines :)

damn it!

Do all the other French cars have as many issues with the DV6? don't often here much about Citroens exploding or did ford just balls it up? Wouldnt be the first time they have with this car. for example, the overly difficult oil filter removal, the sump removal requiring the DPF and fan housing removed, or as it seems the fuel filler pipe only accessible by removing the whole rear cross member. I think someone had lost the plot a abit when it came to the Mk2-2.5

All others had same problems even mini did .

• Like 1

Try working on Renaults .lol then you will rethink how easy fords are

• Haha 1

did you get EML lights when you blanked your EGR? or did you remove the EGR programming through a remap?

Yeah it came on sometimes, always EGR Circuit A high or something like that - reset cleared it, sometimes it cleared itself. Weirdly seemed to eventually 'get' the fact I wasn't going to fix it, and stopped coming on.

Euro 5 engines like the Mk3 Duratorq 1.6 cant have the EGR blanked without throwing codes, they have sensors both sides to detect it being blanked. You would need t be able to program out the EGR and sensors to defeat that

As for it being the same engine, the block may be, but the plumbing, tubing, ECU, mappings etc are all different.

The manufacturers obviously think this design os good as it s used on so many cars worldwide

I've driven it in a Mk2.5 (110) and in my Mk3 (115) and there is a world or difference, the Mk 3 is sooo much better, on delivery and drivability

Like i mentioned earlier, I also have a 2.0 tdci mondeo which is a PSA unit, bought it with 35k on the clock and it's now on 85k and outside services we have had to spend £70 on it for a sensor pipe to the dpf that melted. Well chuffed with it, but I think the mondeo is to big for my needs now.

what type of mpg do you get around town?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club