Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Picking Up Our Focus Soon, New Member Here.

JonsFord

Hello everyone.

I am joining because my Fiancé Jon has signed a contract to say he's purchasing a Ford Focus.

It's a 1.6 petrol engine and on an 07 plate.

Being a keen car enthusiast myself (although not particularly Ford), I've done a few checks myself and have picked up on some faults. The garage where we're purchasing from have wrote the faults down and will be giving the vehicle to their mechanic and it should have a fresh MOT on it.

The car has been sat for a while (as with many cars in this garage), the brake discs and pads need doing because they can't just be worn down into use, the handbrake had seized due to lack of use though this was cured on the test drive.

Other faults include the cigarette lighter not appearing to work, Exhaust is hanging on by a thread, especially just before the middle section muffler and there is a slight oil leak.

I, myself have worked on many cars mainly my own with no problems, however I've never had a Ford personally and have never worked on them myself, I don't really have time since having another baby late June 2014.

Am I right in thinking this engine (1.6 petrol) is a duratech engine? I've heard a few problems with these from heresay here and there but don't know an awful lot abouts Fords, which is in effect why I've joined this forum. Is this the Ford engine that has a timing chain on it? Looking at the vehicle it appears to have an auxiliary belt and cam belt, but that said I wouldn't know where to find the chain, should it have one.

I appreciate all the help in advance, thanks for letting me join.

• Like 1

Hi welcome :)

I think 1.6 is cam belt 1.8 is the chain

• Like 1

Thank you, that's very useful to know. I know what I see if that makes sense (two belts) but I wouldn't know what the chain looks like or where it's located to really look if that makes sense.

Do you know if these engines should have a cover, as it looks very exposed.

Ford Focus, Off side.

Ford Focus, front end.

Here are the photos of our Focus, I hope it's okay to add them into the post like this, Just thought you'd all like to look at it. :)

Hi welcome :) that's a good looking focus, all cars have gremlins but if you like it that's the main bit.

I don't know much about these ones as I used to have the newer focus but my friends got one and is a mechanic himself so can find out for you :D

Saul

• Like 1

Hi welcome :) that's a good looking focus, all cars have gremlins but if you like it that's the main bit.

I don't know much about these ones as I used to have the newer focus but my friends got one and is a mechanic himself so can find out for you :D

Saul

Thank you, that would be most appreciated.

You're right, all cars do have gremlins.. Just hopefully none of the expensive sort!

It's a ''climate'' so I'm not sure if this is trim level or what? First Ford we've owned..

EDIT: I've just read it's because it's got air con (I thought most modern cars had this, lol) and a heated front windscreen.

• Like 1

You're right, all cars do have gremlins.. Just hopefully none of the expensive sort!

It's a ''climate'' so I'm not sure if this is trim level or what? First Ford we've owned..

EDIT: I've just read it's because it's got air con (I thought most modern cars had this, lol) and a heated front windscreen.

Sounds like a good model I had the TDCi never really had petrol cars mine cost a fortune and a big extra was the heated screen so sounds like got a good higher model :D I'll find out what I can for you.

Id say aswell have an explore on here as there are lots and lots of useful folk on here to help and always like a look at fords so share all you like :)

Saul

Sounds like a good model I had the TDCi never really had petrol cars mine cost a fortune and a big extra was the heated screen so sounds like got a good higher model :D I'll find out what I can for you.

Id say aswell have an explore on here as there are lots and lots of useful folk on here to help and always like a look at fords so share all you like :)

Saul

We'd love to know how to use the bluetooth / inbuilt phone connection. Can see a green and red telephone and that must be a phone connection of sorts on the dash, I will explore definitely, Thanks again.

We'd love to know how to use the bluetooth / inbuilt phone connection. Can see a green and red telephone and that must be a phone connection of sorts on the dash, I will explore definitely, Thanks again.

Yeah I had that on either side of the stereo system, I'll see if can find out my old owners manual and how you connect it to the bluetooth :)

Saul

I believe the Climate means it has AC (even though a standard Zetec would have that) and has a heated front windscreen.

Nice car and welcome. :)

It may not have bluetooth connectivity, a lot of stereos have the phone buttons but no bluetooth. You can retrofit though. Does your stereo stalk on the steering column have a 'voice' option? If not, bluetooth is highly unlikely. What does the check display on the instrument cluster look like? Does it have a strip that is above the mileage, telling you if a door is open and whatnot? If it doesn't, the car is lower than Zetec spec. Does it have a drivers armrest? If not, then it is likely it is lower than Zetec spec. I looked at loads of the mk2 before settling on a 2.5.

EDIT looks like Zetec wheels, I think it may be a Zetec.

Sent from my Gen 1 WAP phone

I believe the Climate means it has AC (even though a standard Zetec would have that) and has a heated front windscreen.

Nice car and welcome. :)

Thank you, my Fiancé can't wait to pick it up, however I am concerned though we've picked up faults we'd like rectified, my concern is that the garage won't actually fix the car and now he's already signed the contract to say he's buying it.

It may not have Bluetooth connectivity, a lot of stereos have the phone buttons but no Bluetooth. You can retrofit though. Does your stereo stalk on the steering column have a 'voice' option? If not, Bluetooth is highly unlikely. What does the check display on the instrument cluster look like? Does it have a strip that is above the mileage, telling you if a door is open and whatnot? If it doesn't, the car is lower than Zetec spec. Does it have a drivers armrest? If not, then it is likely it is lower than Zetec spec. I looked at loads of the mk2 before settling on a 2.5.

EDIT looks like Zetec wheels, I think it may be a Zetec.

I've read about this online, having the buttons but not having the bluetooth connectivity. Does sound a little silly in my opinion. I will have a closer look at the stalk when we pick it up, if not, will look at how to retrofit it instead.

As far as I am aware it is not a Zetec, it is purely a 'climate' which means as previously mentioned, heated front windscreen too, though I've read this is a common fault that can go wrong with only one sided actually being heated.

Will have a closer look when we pick it up, thanks for the advice.

It'll be a Zetec Climate. AFAIK there wasn't just a Climate model.

The stereo has the buttons as it is a standard unit across the range. I am guessing it has the Ford CD6000. Looking forward to seeing more pics!

Thanks guys. I'm going to suss out the retrofitting guide to installing the bluetooth.

Took another photo last night, at the garage. It's still there and showing as SOLD. It's my understanding they are now sending it off to a garage to complete the work it needs doing.

Our Ford: Showing as SOLD at the garage.