Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crashed Car - Question About Potential Issue

redrabbit

I have a mk1 focus - y reg. Last night about 1130pm I finished work. I was driving through a tree lined road and went round a fairly shallow right bend.

The car rotated as if on ice, a full 90degrees and smashed head on into a brick wall. I had no control when it slid. It hit the wall at about 20mph. Airbags did not deploy as it wasn't hard enough hit I guess.

Ive been lucky - no one coming the other way. I am unharmed and car seems fine. It's scratched a bit at front but don't mind that as its old and is not in the best shape anyway.

My question:

The car seems "loose" when steering to the right. It seems like it's not in full control, almost like when you steer right the wheels do their own thing.

I've checked the tyres and they have enough tread and no issues with them I think.

Turning left seems absolutely fine.

I'm quite sure this isn't in my head. But maybe that's why the car slid last night?

Is there a reason for this?

Go & get your steering & suspension checked out ASAP !

• Like 1

Go & get your steering & suspension checked out ASAP !

I've googled the issue I'm having and other sites were also saying suspension - either broken or unbalanced in same way.

It sounds expensive...

Not sure I want to pay for repair! I am popping it to garage tomorrow for diagnosis.

I've googled the issue I'm having and other sites were also saying suspension - either broken or unbalanced in same way.

It sounds expensive...

Not sure I want to pay for repair! I am popping it to garage tomorrow for diagnosis.

If in any doubt with their verdict, seek the opinion of another garage before parting with your cash

Don't condemn your car just yet. It could be something inexpensive to fix.

Yea it could be I guess

It also needs a replacement exhaust as it currently sounds like a boy racer!

In the last 4 months I've renewed wheel bearing in rear wheel, and also replaced break disks/pads. So I'm just a bit fed up paying out to fix things at the minute, albeit they are mostly wear and tear items

Rear upper control arm bushes most likely if these perish the rear will overflex and just slide away as always have all of it checked but the rears need replaced at around 5-6 years regularly

There's always the potential of something slippy on the road which caused the car to spin?

Troy yea that's true

However the car now feels slippery when turning right. I just mean it's loose. Like the wheels are sliding but the tread is fine

The focus is designed so the rear technically steers into the corner the rear control arms allow the rear wheels to slightly turn in if the bush has gone it overturns the rear oversteers compared to the front the front tries to compensate creating a sliding on oil feeling also the type of tyres if it was too cold for them to grip they wont if they are overinflated again its like driving on ice as there's no grip the front anti roll bar could need new bushes or the from wishbones or ball joints

Good news everyone

Took it to mechanics and they test drove it twice. Once on local residential roads and secondly on the motorway up to 70mph.

They said to me "we're confused as the car runs perfectly"

Long story short ... They recommended better quality front tyres as my exciting ones were cheap budget ones with 2mm left on. MOT in May so it's sensible.

Also did the tracking and its now a lot lighter and easier to steer and drive. I can tell already the tyres are better as I just feel more solid on the road

They did say the exhaust issue - part has a hole in that will need changing in May for MOT but it can wait. Plus also the entire length is corroded but I can change it in over time to help budget.

Lucky the garage is good or I could have easily got ripped off

Summer tyres? Was it below 7 degrees?

Below 7, summer tyres are harder in comparison to their winter counterparts, giving less grip.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news everyone

Took it to mechanics and they test drove it twice. Once on local residential roads and secondly on the motorway up to 70mph.

They said to me "we're confused as the car runs perfectly"

Long story short ... They recommended better quality front tyres as my exciting ones were cheap budget ones with 2mm left on. MOT in May so it's sensible.

Also did the tracking and its now a lot lighter and easier to steer and drive. I can tell already the tyres are better as I just feel more solid on the road

They did say the exhaust issue - part has a hole in that will need changing in May for MOT but it can wait. Plus also the entire length is corroded but I can change it in over time to help budget.

Lucky the garage is good or I could have easily got ripped off

You can get a back back box silencer, on eBay for £27, if thats the part you need to replace at the exhaust with the hole in it,

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club