Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash Cam Problems...help!!!

M4RC

So I've wired in a dash cam, firstly I just found a permanent live on the fuse box (interior lights) but the problem I had was every time I turned the engine on the dash cam would turn off but there was power there so I then wired it directly to the battery but still no joy. The first thing I thought was that because the starter motor draws that much current the voltage would be decreasing slightly and the working voltage of the dash cam is 12-18v (battery voltage at rest - 12.2 v. So it was maybe dropping below 12 v and cutting off, so I've added 2 1.5v battery's in series and now the dash cam still turns off but turns itself back on....

So it's either still dropping below the working voltage or it needs some sort of surge protection??? I'll try adding another battery at the weekend and see the results.

Also... It's protected with an inline fuse

Any suggestions would be helpful

Fiesta ST150 mk6

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Tried wiring it inline with some type of additional battery/capacitor?

Tried wiring it inline with some type of additional battery/capacitor?

Yeah I added an extra 3v with the batteries.. Don't have a clue what capacitor I would beed

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

It won't so much be voltage (although this will obviously drop) you're lacking but current. As the starter will draw practically all the current your battery produces

The battery voltage will fall as you are dropping over 100 amps to turn the motor over. The dash cam must have quite a high current demand.

The only way round it is to power the dash cam with a separate power supply topped up by the car.

• Like 1

The battery voltage will fall as you are dropping over 100 amps to turn the motor over. The dash cam must have quite a high current demand.

The only way round it is to power the dash cam with a separate power supply topped up by the car.

So I should get some sort of rechargeable battery pack?

What dash cam you got?

post-48575-142623114483_thumb.jpg

Shouldn't it be wired into an ignition controlled live?

Wiring to interior light fuse will cause problems as the light circuit is electronically controlled. I wired mine to the rear wiper fuse using one of these. No problems at all.

• Like 1

Shouldn't it be wired into an ignition controlled live?

It can be but I won't it to record with the ignition off

Wiring to interior light fuse will cause problems as the light circuit is electronically controlled. I wired mine to the rear wiper fuse using one of these. No problems at all.

Shouldn't matter, I've wired directly to the battery now

I just bought a 12v socket off eBay, put spade connectors on +&- then put a push button switch on the dash. But my 12 socket is contstantly live so if I leave it on, got a flat

Think mine draws 5v about

Same here and it works find with just a 2 amp fuse for the dash cam circuit.

Marc have you tried connecting it to a standard 12v cig adapter? If it has the same problem then I don't know what you could do. Unless you can set the camera to not turn off automatically when it loses power, or maybe turn off after a few seconds and not instantly.

Same here and it works find with just a 2 amp fuse for the dash cam circuit.

Marc have you tried connecting it to a standard 12v cig adapter? If it has the same problem then I don't know what you could do. Unless you can set the camera to not turn off automatically when it loses power, or maybe turn off after a few seconds and not instantly.

Connecting it to any fuse etc.. Is not the problem anymore. I could connect it to any fuse and it will still turn off when the car is started.

I've bought a voltage booster/stabiliser to steady the voltage so I'll try that out

• Like 1

Must get a dash-cam fitted, and this is something I shall be doing very soon. I've never done any hard wiring stuff before, but after watching some video's and stuff, I feel confident to do this myself... instead of having it done elsewhere.

Can I just check, that the mini piggyback is what you would plug directly into the rear wiper fuse holder. Then you need to add a 2A fuse into the mini piggyback fuse holder - in order for the rear wiper to function as normal?

Does this mean that the dashcam will only function, when the ignition is turned on?

post-62796-0-78689600-1426774269_thumb.j

Must get a dash-cam fitted, and this is something I shall be doing very soon. I've never done any hard wiring stuff before, but after watching some video's and stuff, I feel confident to do this myself... instead of having it done elsewhere.

Can I just check, that the mini piggyback is what you would plug directly into the rear wiper fuse holder. Then you need to add a 2A fuse into the mini piggyback fuse holder - in order for the rear wiper to function as normal?

Does this mean that the DashCam will only function, when the ignition is turned on?

Almost, what you need to do is take out the rear wiper fuse and put the piggyback fuse holder in its place, with the fuse for the rear wiper in the slot closest to the pins on the piggyback. This means the circuit is as it was before, and then you just need to put your new fuse in the other slot which will give power to the new circuit. And yes the rear wiper circuit is only active with ignition.

I didn't understand this at first, and nor did the garage that did the work for me lol. I think I explained it right but someone correct me if not. Once you've got the piggyback circuit connected to the power supply for the camera, you'll have another cable which will need connecting to an earth point, which can be found above the fuse box (there's a bolt up there that you can use as an earth).

Almost, what you need to do is take out the rear wiper fuse and put the piggyback fuse holder in its place, with the fuse for the rear wiper in the slot closest to the pins on the piggyback.

Gotcha. Nice guide here: http://thedashcamstore.com/advanced-dashcam-installation/

• Like 1

Just for future viewers...... I have overcome the problem off the dash am turning itself off/cutting out and it now stays on 24-7.

I done this by adding a voltage booster/stabiliser so the voltage now stays at a stable 17.5 voltspost-48575-142740150129_thumb.jpgpost-48575-142740152179_thumb.jpgpost-48575-142740154116_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just for future viewers...... I have overcome the problem off the dash am turning itself off/cutting out and it now stays on 24-7.

I done this by adding a voltage booster/stabiliser so the voltage now stays at a stable 17.5 voltsattachicon.gifImageUploadedByFord OC1427401502.509397.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByFord OC1427401523.102991.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByFord OC1427401540.279911.jpg

Looks good, looks too technical for me... or maybe not?

Will his have any affect on your car battery, with the camera being on constantly (even when the ignition is off, vehicle parked up)?