Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T reg Ka won't start!!!!!! Pls help.....immob/relay?

miniblob

Hi guys, new on here and having some issues with the gf's Ka!!

All of a sudden, turn the key in the ignition, dash lights up as it should, can hear the fuel pump whir into life, but turn the key to start it and..... nothing!!!

Happened once before, but started straight away again a few hours later, but this time it's having none of it!!

Thought at first it was a sticky/dodgy starter motor, so tried to rock it in gear to free it up - no change. Tried to bump start the Ka a few times, but it wasn't interested!!

battery is fine, tested that.

Then i realised the starter doesn't even click when i turn the key, so maybe that's not the problem.

There's a flashing red led in the clock, which i presume is an immobiliser, so i'm now guessing it's something to do with that, or a sticky/failed relay!!

Can anyone tell me anything about the immobilisers on this car?? Wouldn't know where to start on this!!

Also, where are the relays??????? All the fuses look ok!!!

All ideas much appreciated!!!

Rob.

the relays are located above the fuse box

remove fuse box cover & look up above the fuses there are 2 screws

remove them & the whole lot should drop down

you will fid the relays above the fuses

there are a couple under the bonnet aswell but not sure what one you need to check

check all the earths on the startor motor etc

you cannot do anything about the immobilizer.

try a diffrent key if possible

if the startor motor don't even click then it's the immobilizer that's still engaged.

its something to do with pats system & you may need to get it checked by an auto electrician

green flag will come out & check it for around £40.00 & run a diagnostics on it

phone them if you need to m8 & tell them what you need doing.

when the igniton is switched on the led on the clock should illuminate for approx 3 seconds then go out indicating that the pats system is working correctly.

it will flash periodically when switched off to show the system is armed.

i hope this is of some help for you.

sounds like a duff relay i recon but not sure what one it is but i suppose you can do the old pull out & try each one that way ??

try this asell m8

drop down the relays so you can get your ear close to them

then try staerting the car

you should hear a relay click if it's working

Cheers for that mate.

Unfortunately, messed about all morning poking stuff, had to push the car around a few times during the day to get it out the way - tried the key at each stage and it was deffo the immob staying on (light in the clock was just flashing!!).

Left it a few hours in the afternoon, tried it again in the evening when i was passing by and it just works again now!!!!

Didn't poke anything since it wouldn't start earlier!!

So it's working again now - but for how long!!

It did it a month or so ago, just for one afternoon, so when will it go again??? Could be a sticky relay, but i wouldn't think any of them are activated until the immob is disabled?

Anyone know how the key interacts with the immob?? Some kind of short/connection with the key? Or is there a sensor somewhere that knows the right key is there??

Girlfriend is bounc to get stuck somewhere now and i'll get all the grief!! Lol!!

you may find it's a relay that playing up as sometime the solder joints on them sort of dry out & looses the contact.

had similar with my ford galaxy

Cheers for that mate.

Unfortunately, messed about all morning poking stuff, had to push the car around a few times during the day to get it out the way - tried the key at each stage and it was deffo the immob staying on (light in the clock was just flashing!!).

Left it a few hours in the afternoon, tried it again in the evening when i was passing by and it just works again now!!!!

Didn't poke anything since it wouldn't start earlier!!

So it's working again now - but for how long!!

It did it a month or so ago, just for one afternoon, so when will it go again??? Could be a sticky relay, but i wouldn't think any of them are activated until the immob is disabled?

Anyone know how the key interacts with the immob?? Some kind of short/connection with the key? Or is there a sensor somewhere that knows the right key is there??

Girlfriend is bounc to get stuck somewhere now and i'll get all the grief!! Lol!!

the key has a chip in it which is called a transponder when you turn the ig on it sends a signal to the transceiver which is around the ig barrel and that sends a signal to the cars computer ( ecu) telling it its the correct key and to start it could be the key or the tranceiver or the ecu or a wiring problem i should sell it while its going. will cost you a lot of cash ,colin

colin

when i said i had similar with my galaxy it turned out to be the relay & cost me £12.00 for a new one.

i am try to find the relay that's for this item in question so that way you can atleast eliminate it.

if the Ka has PATS, which I assume it has, there is a starter inhibit relay which is activated via the PATS module.

If it doesn't have PATS, the starter is fed directly from the ignition switch.

Have you tried using different keys?

The inhibit relay is in the main fuse box, but I am not sure of its identifier. I would advise checking the relays when it is working to identify which one it is.

remove each relay to find the duff one if possible m8

When you switch the ignition on the immobiliser light should remain on for about 3 seconds the go out. If it doesn't or starts flashing rapidly this most likely means the key is not recognised.

A key reprogram could be all it needs and you can do it yourself provided you have two keys that can or used to start the car. If you want instructions on how to do this ill be happy to write it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers for the info guys!!!!!!!

Has mostly been ok, but done it a couple of times recently - messing about with locking/unlocking, etc seems to get it going normally!!

Only got the one key unfortunately!! Relay could be worth a shot though when i get a chance!!

Also, noticed on eBay, you can get an ECU and Key for about £35 - worth a try??? Would that key work in the current ignition barrell, or am i entering a whole another world of issues there??

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club