Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing Issue

The Robertsons

Ok just wondered if anyone can advise. Our car was juddering a lot and some black reek coming out the exhaust so we took it to get a full service. After getting the car back it still seems to have the same issues. How can we confirm the garage actually did the service they charged us for?

Ok just wondered if anyone can advise. Our car was juddering a lot and some black reek coming out the exhaust so we took it to get a full service. After getting the car back it still seems to have the same issues. How can we confirm the garage actually did the service they charged us for?

Hello from fife too :) the second I read 'black reek' I knew you were close haha.

With diesels the oil becomes black again pretty quickly but you might be able to check the colour of it.

The black reek could be down to a few things such as egr, split hose etc.

When you say split hose, when I accelerate hard in 2nd or 3rd gear it sounds like too much air is being drawn in at the same time as the turbo kicks in.

They could well be a boost hose leaking - would definitely explain the black smoke. The pipe work from the turbo, through the intercooler into the engine needs inspecting.

Quick and easy way to see if they serviced it is take a look at the air filter, easy to tell, as for the black smoke with juddering I reckon a faulty injector, quite common on the 1.8, but first check your boost hoses, I know of someone that took their sprinter in for a service as no power and lots of smoke, turnded out the clip broke off the bottom pipe into the intercooler, was not noticed as with no pressure it was sitting where it should, as soon as someone else put the throttle down I could see the hose pushing itself away from the intercooler whilst under pressure, and straight back in place as soon as it was left to idle

They should have, as they should have taken it for a test drive after servicing and realised there is something amis, when I was in the garage we used to find all faults then ask the customer what they would like to do, either have us do it or themselves etc..

Must be a pretty shabby back street place that you took it to, don't mean to offend or anything

Out of interest, what garage did you use?

Did you tell garage about your problem or just ask for service? As service alone wont fix most running issues unless fuel filter blocked.

Regular fuel filter changes are a must do on any diesel