Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low Power/poor Acceleration On My 16/09/2011 Manual Petrol 1600 Focus.

Jerry0305

I bought my Ford Focus Titanium hatchback, last August when it was almost 3 years old.

I previously owned a Ford Focus estate (2002 model) which was immediately responsive.

This 2011 hatchback is seriously underpowered and feels sluggish in comparison.

Is this normal and to be expected?

Is there anything I can do to improve its responsiveness.

I welcome any input!

is it the petrol VCT? if so I have heard they are sluggish in the MK2.

Maybe there is a problem with yours?

Mine doesn't feel sluggish at all. Its far from a Ferrari, but it does the job, and compared to other 1.6 petrol lumps out there, its definitely one of the better ones.

I bought my Ford Focus Titanium hatchback, last August when it was almost 3 years old.

I previously owned a Ford Focus estate (2002 model) which was immediately responsive.

This 2011 hatchback is seriously underpowered and feels sluggish in comparison.

Is this normal and to be expected?

Is there anything I can do to improve its responsiveness.

I welcome any input!

Not saying this is the problem with yours but mine was feeling a bit underpowered and sluggish lately. I cleaned my throttle body, installed new coil pack and HT leads and the car is like new now. Check those items, you could be lucky.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone 5s.

Hi

Jerry

I have the same problem with my 1.6 125 petrol but after driving it for 8 months I find the following works for me.

Drive for 3 to 4 seconds longer in 1st then 2 nd gears building up speed into 3rd it then it takes off and then into top or 5th, I hardly ever use 4th gear.

I had a 1.8 petrol focus estate it flew, you have to change the way you drive, when I first got mine I felt like getting out to give it a shove. To get the best driving this way specially going up hill you have to change gear faster.

Give it a try I would like to know how you get on,

Barry T

must be youre cars ive got the 115bhp and 0-60 is confirmed 8.2 secs 80mph 3rd gear with revs to spare the ti vct to get the best out of it needs revs these engines can rev to 9000rpm easily sluggish its not its quicker than my 2001 1.8 petrol

must be youre cars ive got the 115bhp and 0-60 is confirmed 8.2 secs 80mph 3rd gear with revs to spare the ti vct to get the best out of it needs revs these engines can rev to 9000rpm easily sluggish its not its quicker than my 2001 1.8 petrol

9000 rpm? :o

Yeah it's a ti cvt I think it has a higher rev output.

Mine likes a good reving too, I forget that after driving a van all week then trying to use the torque low down as there isnt any lol

Depends on how you drive really you can drive it normally low revs better mpg or if you want it to shift keep the revs above 4k it will go find an empty stretch of road get into 3rd put the foot down and watch the revs go past 4k then look at the Speedo I've not even yet had the revs all the way up

Thank you so much everyone, for the valuable contributions. Everyone had something worthwhile to say!

I think that it has helped me to drive it differently.

Now I understand , ,,

The fuel can make a difference too if you look on the back of the fuel flap it states you should use min 95 Ron but you should ideally use super premium or premium plus fuels I've started using Tesco 99 Ron in mine as its sluggish on supermarket stuff

Maximum torque is produced at 4000 RPM.

You might find this of use:

post-46790-0-70092100-1427549734_thumb.j

Hi Jerry

When I was younger, people used to say I drove Like a bat out of hell, in those days I use to change my cars every 2 years,

But for the last 20 years I drive In a different way as I keep my cars for 10 years plus, I do not flog them now, they are almost as good mechanically after 10 years as when I bought them.

Did you watch the programme on top gear, the rolling road test how cars loose power over the years, I believe the more you flog them the more power you loose, our old 1.8 focuses had more power than some on the forum, that may be the reason why.

Barry T

The one thing I will say is the better the service the better the car. I just had my car in for a major service last month, since it's come back it's been slightly quieter to drive, more economical (not got below an average of 60mpg in the last 100 miles) and the car feels smoother and more responsive even in higher gears. One thing you might benefit from is a terraclean service, they decoke the engine and the difference can be astonishing too!

Hi James

I agree in the old days the first thing you did with a second hand car was to too give it a decoke, and regrind the valves in, it made a big difference, My car has only 25K on the clock not ready for a decoke yet.

I noticed when I bought the car the engine oil was dirty, the garage serviced the car and put about a pint of engine oil in too much I removed the excess myself , If they could not do simple thing like an oil change what can you trust them with. Regular services make a big difference especially the plugs and air filter. I have done my own services and repairs since being a teenager that's the only way I could afford to run a car. In about 1- 2 more services the engine oil should return to a golden colour, just the way I like it. By keeping the car in good mechanical repair, you gain the advantage of more M.P.G. I am pleased so far with mine about 37-38 on urban driving. The only thing that concerns me with modern day cars is the electronics, the use of relays as switching circuits, makes it more difficult to trace a fault.

Barry T

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club