Do Not Sell My Personal Information

* Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost - Turbo?

BHeart

Hi

I've been driving for around 40 years and have owned many new cars in that time and I'm really enjoying my newest car; a Fiesta 1.0, 100PS EcoBoost Titanium X but, I've never owned a car with a turbo so, while this might be looked upon as newbie question, I need to ask it because I really don't know the answer for sure - do these EcoBoost Fiesta's have a "Turbo"?

I've looked through the user handbook and there are parts of it which seem to suggest that it does and, if it does, what type of 'turbo' is it,

Apart from wanting to know if my car actually does have a 'turbo', I also need to know if there is anything in particular that I should be aware of when driving a car with a turbo? I.e. I've heard that, before you turn off the engine, you should allow a period of time for the turbo to wind down before stopping the engine?

I would appreciate any input from members who can help with answering my question.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Yes, it does have a turbocharger, which can '' spin '' at several thousand r.p.m. , so it's advisable to allow it to '' spool down '' before turning the engine off after use, letting the engine idle for,say,30 seconds after a drive should be ok.

• Like 1

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply.

That's great to have that confirmed but I don't think I've allowed more than 5 seconds before turning the engine off but I will do so from now on. I'm hoping that I've not caused any problems with the turbo up until now?

I don't know anything about 'Turbo Chargers' so, during normal driving, when does the turbo 'kick in' and what possible damage could be caused if the turbo is not allowed to 'spin down' before turning off the engine?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

i was under the impression if the engine was at tick over it was safe to switch off i have never waited befoul switching off and never had a problem.

Turbochargers get incredibly hot whilst in use & are cooled whilst the engine is running & are not cooled when it isn't - hence allowing '' spool down '' time to allow the turbocharger to cool a little.

Worst case scenario is a blown turbo - which is expensive

• Like 1

Turbocharger '' kick in '' varies from car to car.

The turbo kicks in at around 2000 RPM on the fiesta 1.0

I'm sure I have read that it kicks in at 1500rpm

Hi Guys

Thanks for your reply's which have been very informative - I've found that the drivers handbook, page 101 mentions about turning off the engine and the damage it can do whilst the turbo is still running.

I am now a bit wiser than I was before I asked the question. :)

I've thought about the need to wait around 30 seconds before shutting the engine down, which is nothing when compared against damaging your turbo but, how is the turbo affected by "stop/start" when it automatically stops the engine at traffic lights and junctions etc?

I've never waited for too long before turning off of the engine and I've had my car for nearly 2 years now and it still goes strong!

I wouldn't worry, my parents have had various cars over the year with turbos and never had any turbo problems.

Surely the turbo is designed to withstand hot temperatures? After all Ecoboosts do have stop/start.

I wouldn't imagine it would cause a huge problem, it's just recommended mainly for cars with big aftermarket turbos that they thrash.

And with stop/start you're starting the car shortly after so it will then be able to cool..

The turbo probably does kick in at 1500 but you dont feel it till the overboost, which is around 2000.

• Like 1

I wouldn't imagine it would cause a huge problem, it's just recommended mainly for cars with big aftermarket turbos that they thrash.

And with stop/start you're starting the car shortly after so it will then be able to cool..

The turbo probably does kick in at 1500 but you dont feel it till the overboost, which is around 2000.

The 100PS versions of the 1 Litre have overboost disabled from what I've read elsewhere on the forum! I certainly feel the difference in 3rd as soon as it hits 1500RPM

they don't have OB disabled, they just don't have it.

Cooldowns are for the old school ancient turbos, not an issue in this day and age.

they don't have OB disabled, they just don't have it.

Cooldowns are for the old school ancient turbos, not an issue in this day and age.

Close enough! Hehe. Knowing of the overboost that I've clearly been missing out on for the past 2 years has made me even more excited to get my new Black.. Argh! Need to detox from FOC Forums I think! :P

One thing I've been told with turbos is now again let the turbo spool up properly. Now this doesn't mean you have to thrash the car just drive normally and change gear at a higher rpm so 3k rpm. This helps to stop the turbo from getting clogged up with carbon I do it once a week on the bypass.

luckily going by this forum I don't think Ford turbo owners have to worry about that lol

Carbonising is the term I believe, also happens from lack of oil changes, turbo boils it off inside and it sticks to it just like a crappy frying pan.

• Like 1

And for the turbo cooling, if i remember correct, 1.0 has watercooled turbo and electric coolant pump for it, that cool the turbo even after the car have been shutdown, if needed.

• Like 1

Don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I find that after a fast run and I pull up at say traffic lights the stop start doesn't kick in right away but seems to idle for a bit then switches the engine off , I've always assumed this was to protect the turbo , I'll have to time it next time cos I'm not sure how long it idles for

Most cars with start/stop do it it's prob just to let the engine settle before its shut down. I don't have it as mines 1.6ecoboost st.

My last car had s/s (toyota) and didn't cut off after a run , but it didn't have a turbo either

And for the turbo cooling, if i remember correct, 1.0 has watercooled turbo and electric coolant pump for it, that cool the turbo even after the car have been shutdown, if needed.

this is your answer peeps.

Read the Honest John report on 1.0 ecoboost turbo failures.

Does the Zetec S have overboost on the 125ps engine?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club