Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.5Tdci Running Issues

Bailes

So I purchased a brand new Focus Titanium 1.5TDCi end of last month.

I have a few issues with it.

When driving at a constant speed with very little load from a few miles
and then push the accelerator a bit the car jerks harshly as if the
engine cuts out for a split second before it picks up and starts to
pull.

Sometimes (mainly when pulling off a roundabout) when you press the
accelerator the car seems to hesitate and almost start to slow down
before it pulls.

Also the engine revs jump up 250rpm when changing gear as if my foot is still on the accelerator.

The car has been back 3 times in 3 weeks and the dealer admits that it's
not right but we took another 2 brand new 1.5TDCi's out and they were
doing the same thing.

The mechanics seem to think the first two issues are down to the
programming of the EGR but there is no PCM update available right now
and they've told me to live with it.

The second issue is a bit of an unknown, but again I'm being told I
have to wait for a PCM update. The car should hold it's revs for a
second before letting them drop and then holds them where the engine
would be in the next gear making the gear changes smoother but it seems
to be over compensating and revving itself when you put your foot on the
clutch.

I really down know what to do now. The car annoys the hell out of me as I know it's not right.

The dealer doesn't want to know, and I got totally fobbed off when I asked them if they'd replace the car with a 1.6TDCi.

I seem to have spent £21,500 on a car that is still in development.

Bailes.

you need to contact ford customer services with this issue if there is a known issue then imho the car should not have been sold to you

however you must do this thro the correct channels with enought pressure you may get your 1.6

You've broken it already Sam! :P

The jerking when pulling away is almost certainly the EGR valve as you've said, give it a few more revs as you pull off and it should be reduced, although that defeats the object of driving a diesel for economy. It's exactly the same on the 1.6 without an EGR blank.

Not so sure about the other issue but hope you get it sorted!

Typical ford my neighbors is exactly the same I've driven it and its a nuisance to say the least to be honest I couldn't put up with it full time so kudos on you like you she got nowhere ford was contacted via head office who sent a master tech out they replaced the clutch did diagnostics but again she got nowhere they all admit to a problem but none know how to fix it she was fobbed off when she wanted to change it she's now taking legal action ford offered to give her a different car once she did this but she wants her money back to buy from a different manufacturer now can't blame her her daughters car is a Hyundai it costs less has more warranty and has had no issues yet her focus was over 7k more than the hyundai and spent more time in the garage than on the road ....try what she did call ford uk and tell them you'll take legal action

Word of warning her car bogged down so badly pulling out of a junction it almost stalled she also got hit by another car that took the bumper off trying to avoid her so live with it isn't an excuse when its a risk

Scott,

Is your neighbours a 1.5TDCi also?

My bogging down isn't so much when I'm pulling away but when I'm already moving and try to accelerate.

the same as youres its only done 2300 miles since new as she couldnt drive the thing

My 2.0 TDCi used to bog down a lot and was highly unpredictable with its power.

A PCM update sorted it completely.

You gave 2 choices really, either keep bugging them and wait for the PCM update (which will undoubtedly come but will need testing before they release it).

Or demand that the car is not fit for purpose and try and go down the route of returning it.

If you have a good garage that passes all the info on and gets Ford involved, it should get sorted. Ford were going to send some chief engineers to inspect the electrical issue in my last focus until my dealers chief tech managed to find the issue himself.

If it was me, I'd just keep bugging, pushing for a resolution. Maybe even offer to test an update if it is possible. If your dealer doesn't seem interested, find another who is. They still get paid for warranty work by Ford.

• 1 year later...
On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 7:46 AM, Bailes said:

So I purchased a brand new Focus Titanium 1.5TDCi end of last month.

I have a few issues with it.

When driving at a constant speed with very little load from a few miles
and then push the accelerator a bit the car jerks harshly as if the
engine cuts out for a split second before it picks up and starts to
pull.

Sometimes (mainly when pulling off a roundabout) when you press the
accelerator the car seems to hesitate and almost start to slow down
before it pulls.

Also the engine revs jump up 250rpm when changing gear as if my foot is still on the accelerator.

The car has been back 3 times in 3 weeks and the dealer admits that it's
not right but we took another 2 brand new 1.5TDCi's out and they were
doing the same thing.

The mechanics seem to think the first two issues are down to the
programming of the EGR but there is no PCM update available right now
and they've told me to live with it.

The second issue is a bit of an unknown, but again I'm being told I
have to wait for a PCM update. The car should hold it's revs for a
second before letting them drop and then holds them where the engine
would be in the next gear making the gear changes smoother but it seems
to be over compensating and revving itself when you put your foot on the
clutch.

I really down know what to do now. The car annoys the hell out of me as I know it's not right.

The dealer doesn't want to know, and I got totally fobbed off when I asked them if they'd replace the car with a 1.6TDCi.

I seem to have spent £21,500 on a car that is still in development.

Bailes.

Hi bailes  I to purchased a 2015

Ford focus  1.5 tdci I to noticed the same as your self a flat spot lasting for  a brief second after having the car for 4wks finally had it back to the dealer and their was a pcm update so it was done it was never road tested as I always note the mileage  when a garage has any of my cars  but the update hasn't changed a thing so I'm at a loss just like you how this is going to get sorted

If you get any info let me know please my thoughts are it's a throttle sensor but what do I know I've only done my own mechanics for years 

Just now, Andy scatt said:

Hi bailes  I to purchased a 2015

Ford focus  1.5 tdci I to noticed the same as your self a flat spot lasting for  a brief second after having the car for 4wks finally had it back to the dealer and their was a pcm update so it was done it was never road tested as I always note the mileage  when a garage has any of my cars  but the update hasn't changed a thing so I'm at a loss just like you how this is going to get sorted

If you get any info let me know please my thoughts are it's a throttle sensor but what do I know I've only done my own mechanics for years 

Could be a sticky egr valve or clogged up.

i would try egr cleaner give it a good spray n then a good booting get all the crap out.

tdci from time to time need the odd booting to get the crap out the system.

i had this when I first bought my 1.8 tdci used egr cleaner n blanked egr off n booted the car. 

Car will get a good boot once a week now n runs great

I have to agree the car isn't fit for purpose call ford customers service they'll them the history of the issue and tell them you want it sorted or a new car  in the meantime tell them you want a replacment vehicle  at no cost to you until yours is either repaired or a replacment has been offered 

Sorry misread this post didn't know was a brand new 1 erm..... Take it back no questions 

I have a 1.5TDCi and while it does do the bogging down thing occasionally, it's been really nice otherwise. The rev's jumping doesn't seem normal; mine doesn't do it. I would suggest doing a ECU reset by disconnecting the battery for 30 mins then re-connecting and going for a drive. 

• 2 months later...

Well guys mine went back into the dealers again and a different excuse this time I was told a car with 18,000 miles on it was going into re,gen which I find hard to believe as its doing it on every trip next step is ford themselves as I work with someone who had an st which he had problems so has struck a deal with his dealership and has chosen a new 1.5 diesel and he says he mentioned my fault to the sales team and they said torn knew they had a problem but it's been sorted now up to now he has no problems with his new car yet not had a message from ford as to when a recall would take place so do I wait or call ford and ask when this will happen oh and my cousins focus is playing up now and his is a 1.6 diesel 

• 9 months later...

Apologies for dragging up such an old thread of mine. Can't believe there's two people here with the same issues as me and I've been pulling my hair out thinking I've been the only one for the last 2 years and 3 months.

I'm now paying for a software update to be done in 2 weeks time to try and rectify this issue. I have the issue shown as live data but Ford won't take it seriously as I can't make my issues happen with them in the car.

It will be the last Ford I own.

Why not get the car remapped by a reputable tuner. Plenty about , super chips or google a local garage to where you live. 

They will do a live map and iron out all the flat spots, the car is actually reduced in power to make that engine work all over the world. So it's being strangled of the correct tolerances that will make it run better. 

It will improve your fuel mpg, improve bhp and torque. 

Will cost about £300 for a remap, well worth it. 

On 6/2/2017 at 7:47 PM, Bailes said:

Apologies for dragging up such an old thread of mine. Can't believe there's two people here with the same issues as me and I've been pulling my hair out thinking I've been the only one for the last 2 years and 3 months.

I'm now paying for a software update to be done in 2 weeks time to try and rectify this issue. I have the issue shown as live data but Ford won't take it seriously as I can't make my issues happen with them in the car.

It will be the last Ford I own.

Why on gods earth are you paying for a software update? These are free under warranty. I've had all of my modules done several times due to issues and these were free of charge.

I'd change your dealer asap. This is a known field service issue and should be free of charge.

Since I've had updates applied to my car, it goes like poo off a stick! Same engine as yours.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, DJ_Andy_M said:

Why on gods earth are you paying for a software update? These are free under warranty. I've had all of my modules done several times due to issues and these were free of charge.

I'd change your dealer asap. This is a known field service issue and should be free of charge.

Since I've had updates applied to my car, it goes like poo off a stick! Same engine as yours.

Do you have any information or copies of the field service issue? I paid for an update and it's still exactly the same. I'm pulling my hair out. I'm questioning weather they actually done it.

It's going in Monday for the camshaft sprocket recall, it'd be nice to have some information on the 'flat spots' to get it sorted once and for all.

• 4 years later...

Anyone get a fix for this? 

My grand tourneo connect 1.5tdci does this, so annoying.

Any help appreciated 👍