Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12V Charger Socket Draining Battery??

samfiestaperv

Does anyone know if a 12v charger socket can flatten a battery when nothing is plugged in? I have a new battery and it has lost charge a couple of times (as did the old one) I've had it tested and there appears to be no faults with it or the alternator. The chap suggested that something could be running in the background like a bulb for example, but I've checked everything else. When I got my car the cigarette lighter socket didn't work, it had no fuse in, so I put one in a few months ago when I need to run my satnav, shortly after I found a fuse from it in a compartment! Could it previously have been removed for that reason? or am I completely barking up the wrong tree?? Just seems like such a coincidence! Thanks, Sam

The 12v socket itself won't drain the battery, but perhaps someone has tapped something off it somewhere.

Perhaps, I've taken out the fuse anyway as it was running perfectly well for months without it, until I needed the charger, I think I can cope without it! Thanks for reply

The same fuse may run other circuits too, find out which ones and check those. Have you checked the boot light is off with the boot shut?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, thanks Ade, I did the proper girlie thing of simply sticking my head through the back seats! Ha Ha, neighbours think I'm a loony! :P

Whatever it was running Stef, taking the fuse out seems to have had no adverse consequence on anything else as far as I can tell (or at least anything important that I need!) everything seems to be working normally (apart obviously the charger, which I can live without) however does seemed to have helped with the battery life, very peculiar!

Thanks for your advice folks, much appreciated. :D Sam

• Like 1

The socket may have a short circuit to another component creating a drain down to an earthing point somewhere.

A half decent auto electrician should be able to diagnose an earth leak and sort it out for you.

• Like 1

4.01 am Stoney! Don't you ever sleep!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club