Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2 Coolant Leak - Heater Matrix

j.beesley

Hi,

I purchased my Focus Mk2 last month and it has been running fine with no problems. I noticed last week that my fan carried on running when I turned the engine off due to it overheating - there wasn't any coolant left so i topped it up and all was well for another couple of days...

Again it ran out of coolant yesterday and i found a leak in the joins of the pipes that supply the heater matrix behind the panel in the driver foot well. Having replaced the o rings and resealing it seemed to stop the leak in this please BUT there is now a MAJOR leak in the heater matrix which is draining the whole coolant around in around 1 minute.

In short i can get hold of a new heater matrix relatively easy, but how hard are they to fit? anyone have step by step? I have heard you have to take the whole dash out and garages can quote 400+ for this to be done - which funds will not allow! I have also seen that you can cut the plastic cover for the heater matrix and get it out this way is this true? Help with this ASAP is required as i am without a car until this is sorted!!!!

they can be a bit of a nightmare to replace - save yourself and your fingers and give it to a garage to do!

• Like 1

Hi thanks for your reply - managed to do myself so heartache over!:)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mine just went on Thursday and both my local Kwik Fit's have said it too big of a job for them.

I have ordered a Haynes Manual and i am going to do it myself. (1/4 way through removing the dashboard)

Did you do the hard way and remove the whole dash or just cut/snap/break the plastic around the Matrix?

Any advice?

Just snap the black plastic surround off the matrix, it saved me sooooo much hassle and money it is unreal. May be more fiddly then taking the dash off when replacing but still a lot more time saved. When you put it back on just make sure you glue it or apply plenty of duct tape to stop the warm are going into the footwell

Well I didn't want to risk snapping the plastic cover as knowing my luck I'd break it more than I could put back, so I took the whole dashboard out with help of the in law.

Going to attempt fixing the pipes this weekend as bought some new O Rings and Clips off eBay.

I'm going to have to flush the coolant system as-well, because I don't want to flood the inside of my car and I don't know the strength of the mixture as I have been topping up with water.

Bought 5 litres of ready mixed from Europarts.

Any advise of flushing the coolant system?

advice I would give you is make sure you get ford O rings as others won't fit spot on. The reason it took so long for me is evrerthing has to be perfectly in place or you will get a tiny leak from the pipes

To my knowledge the O Rings and Clips are genuine ford

Sorted then:) good luck, it's a fiddly one!

Other than use a proper flushing mix you should be alright, some people try flushing with water but at just under boiling point it isn't very 'thick' Nd instead works to dilute rather than flush

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club