Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Zetec Dpf Issues

smj43

Hi all. I posted a thread a few months ago about some issues I was having with my 09 1.6 TDCI Zetec and I'm still having problems! The first time I was driving down the A3 when I got a chime and an 'engine malfunction' warning and the EML illuminated. Called out RAC who did a diagnostic and it came up with an error code something to do with DPF ash build up. Took it back to Carcraft where I got it just over a year ago. Was told it was to do with a faulty pressure sensor which since I have an extended guarantee they replaced for me no charge. They also topped up the Eoloys tank with a small amount of fluid they had at the time going spare from another job. All was fine, EML went off and limp mode disabled and car drove fine.

This was about a month ago. I've driven 100s of miles since with no issues then all of a sudden it's happened again. Called RAC out again, this time reading fault to do with DPF regeneration duration. It's now been towed back to Carcraft again but they are insinuating it's something to do with my driving style. I've been regularly up and down the A3/M25 etc for work and driven it for long runs so I don't see how anything I am doing is wrong? Not had any prior warning lights either. Cars done about 75k (65 when I bought it) and I have read that DPF should probably be replaced. I'm hoping this is not the case as I've been quoted £1000ish by Ford and it's not covered under my 'Drive Happy' guarantee from Carcraft!

Any experiences of this?

As far as I can tell the error code for DPF Regeneration duration is just meaning a DPF Regeneration was not completed or it should have completed a regeneration but cant for some reason.

Low fluid could cause the fault, or faulty glowplugs or anything else stopping the dpf regeneration process.

However on an 09 plate I would expect yours to have the coated DPF and not require the fuel additive, there will be a small black plastic tank by the rear axle beam and fuel tank if it does have the fuel additive.

Having said that you have had an error code for ash buildup. The ash cannot be cleared only the spot can be burnt off this leaves a small reissue of ash which eventually clogs the DPF up, when it gets full of ash it does require changing.

Thanks for your reply Simcor. Come to think of it, there was also an error code generated for something to do with glow plugs that came up with the DPF fault!

I understand about the build up of ash meaning the filter is at the end of it's life and at 75k I think that is more than likely however is it possible that a faulty pressure sensor could have caused the system to think that was the case, hence why I haven't has any issues since the sensor was replaced?

I'm strongly considering getting the DPF removed and ECU remapped. Know it's illegal but don't really care as long as I'm not going to fail an MOT!

Also, I do have an Eolys additive tank not a coated DPF unfortunately

I would get your glowplugs checked out then as mine had issues after I got it with 68k on the clock. The glowplugs needed changing as they were not working and that was stopping the regeneration process from happening. Since then I don't really have any issues. Mine is on 76k now and as far as I know still original DPF. I often get an error code saying filter efficiency below threshold but that usually clears once a regeneration has taken place.

I am not changing mine until it absolutely needs doing.

I know you don't want to hear this but the dpf issue will not go away, you can try forced regens, but that will only work if its not blocked and can get up to temp, the pressure warnings are the important ones, not being able to run passive or active regens isn't going to help and if its pressure related it means your filling up, if that's soot, you have a small chance, if its already ash then it doesn't matter what you do, itll need replaced.

spend money on the glowplugs if it will make you feel better, it may help postpone the inevitable, but that dpf will go sooner or later, and all the time thats full and applying back pressure on the turbo you risk other more expensive issues.

try a forced regen first, either by a garage or via a elm327 and forscan

Agree with Dee but you need to get the DPF pressure readings as that will show if your DPF is getting full with Ash. Get a modified ELM and Forscan and do some runs with oscilloscope readings of the DPF pressure and Pre particle filter temp and glow plug control. That will show what your DPF pressure reading is, what temp the filter is getting to and whether the glow plugs are being used.

Get the glow plugs checked anyway as they are used during regeneration.

That would be my advice. Mine has never been changed as far as I know and my DPF pressure reading is 1kpa max which indicates there is very little ash accumulation or blockage on mine hence why I am not worrying about it at the moment.

Ideally if you know when it is likely to do a regen running forscan and watching the readings (or rather saving them and looking at them later) will show what temp the filter is reaching, if it is the normal band of 550-600 degrees then it is unlikely the filter is blocked as I understand it.

1kPa Max!? That can't be right... If it is, my car's definitely broken. :(

Well that's all it shows under heavy load on the engine. Unless the sensor is completely duff.

I would imagine you have a sensor issue there tbh, especially with the mileage you said. Are you sure you've even got a core in there, hadn't been gutted before you bought it?

There is definitely an issue with mine (see other thread) but I would expect max peak of around 6kPa on a decent used DPF, 1kPa is alright while cruising. I'm happy to be proved wrong though, there's not enough specific DPF info about really, a lot of generic info (loads of different types though!) and a lot of rubbish from people that have just asked Fred down the pub haha. Trying to get info from Ford seems impossible as well.

Well that is my next course of investigation, your the second person to ask if it has been gutted lol

There's an in depth analysis about the principle(s) of D.P.F. operation / passive regen' / active regen' on Honest John & very informative it is too.

Is that specific to the PSA Eolys type DPF Mark? Got a link?

Most I've read have been more about the truck style ones or the newer VAG (and Euro 5 Ford) style coated DPFs. So the pressures and temps are irrelevant to us with the Eolys ones. I know the basics, it's just the specific info on these ones I can't find unfortunately.

Simon, do you ever notice it doing a regen? I really wouldn't be surprised if it had been gutted, that would explain why it's not given you any issues as well lol.

Maybe its the counter that needs reseting with ford ids...i know with Peugeots when you top the fluid up the counter on the Ecu needs to be reset otherwise all sorts of errors occur to do with the dpf as it thinks the work hasnt been done. Also a good practice is to get the car to 3k revs for 20 mins once every few month to clear the filter.

Yes the FACM does need the counter reset with IDS.

I notice mine doing regeneration at least twice a week usually. In fact the other day while doing one it blew out the biggest cloud of smoke I have ever seen thought I had blown the car up for a second and the traffic behind me on the motorway slowed very quickly stupid DPF's

Ah I see. Can't see any smoke with factory tints so I don't know what mines like lol. I just rely on the change of engine note, judder, mpg dropping and fans to know when it is. Fortunately it didn't smell again after the first regen, was awful the first time haha.

Mine has a smell that accompanies the regeneration, I also noticed the MPG dropping and sometimes hear the fan. But the smoking is very visible when coming off the throttle. I also at the rights rev get quite a bit of stuttering as if the engine is almost going to stall. But it also belches out the odd cloud whilst doing it too. But everytine I come off the throttle the smoke is very visible and looks almost like it is burning oil as it is grey almost with a hint of blue.