Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dmf & Service Dilemma

FocusSmudge

Hi folks,

Am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment as to what to do with my 1.8TDCi Focus.

I've had a rattling coming from the engine bay for a few months after I bought the car late last year, when the clutch is depressed the rattle goes away but only occurs when the engine is warm and is quite loud and heavy. The entire car shakes. I have just taken the car to a local trusted garage and his opinion is the DMF.

I had initially disregarded the problem when the previous owner informed me (car was bought from dealer but I contacted the previous owner. I have no reason to doubt him, he was very genuine) they had the DMF and Clutch done in 2014 as well as a refurbed turbo. There's no paperwork to back it up and I have just phoned the garage he uses who has no record of the work ever being done.

The car is also in need of a service and needs 2 front tyres.

Am therefore in a dilemma - I start a new job in two weeks and will be commuting 100 miles a day so a diesel is essential. Do I go for the work and get no change out of £1000?

Car is 113K and a 56-plate and my insurance is due.

It's the best car I've ever owned and really don't want to part with it, which really only leaves me with 1 option.

Any advice from anyone please?

I understand there was a huge issue with DMF's from Eurocar parts recently and the garage advised that I had potentially received a duff part.

I've changed the DMF on my car and its gone again after about 20k miles, so im not sure if its due to fitting or a faulty DMF in the first place (im pretty sure its fitting), this could have been the case with the previous owner

i bought my kit from eBay, for £350 for the whole set http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-S-MAX-1-8-TDCI-5-SPEED-SACHS-DMF-FLYWHEEL-CLUTCH-CSC-/271108281706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Model%3AFocus%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+II%7CCars+Type%3A1.8+TDCi&hash=item3f1f50156a

i believe ford use LUK from the factory so you could get a LUK DMF for slightly more but maybe it will last longer

overall including labour it shouldnt cost you more than £600

Thanks for the reply. The issue that concerns be is the rattling isn't always There. There's no ticking from the clutch and it's only when the vehicle has been on a long run and the engine is up to temperature. It also only seems to occur when the vehicle is idle or has been switched off and on when still warm.

Obviously I took all this into account when I purchased the vehicle but as I had information the DMF had been changed I had no reason to doubt the vehicle.

Almost identical issue;

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=95615

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club