Do Not Sell My Personal Information

99 Ka, Is There An Immobilizer Bypass?

Murdoch44

So recently my spare key ring was stolen from my house which had my ford ka key on it.

I have a spare but it does not have the immobilizer chip in it so it's not actually any use really, I can unlock the car etc but I cannot start it. I'm from NZ and the lock smith wants to charge me $400 to program my spare key with an immobilizer chip, as I'm selling the car for $700 lol I can't justify it, I'd be better put dismantling it and selling as parts.

What I'm wondering is, is there anyway to remove/bypass/render useless the immobilizer so my spare key will work? Or am I screwed and now own a very large paper weight?

Thanks in advance

Murdoch

• Like 1

The immobiliser circuit is integral to the ECU and instrument cluster so not possible I'm afraid.

$400 for a PATS chip isn't steep it's flaming vertical.

Surely there will be somewhere else that charges a more reasonable rate?

I got told it's a 3 key system, thanks ford. So they can't program 1 key they have to program 3, so I have to buy 3 keys... fml

I just spent $700 fixing it up for it's warrant too 5x new wheels, new coil pack and new rear brake cylinders. I just wanted to break even lol

It should only be 2 keys afaik.

Usually the car is supplied with one key with central locking and one without.

I would say that the key you do have is not an original as without a transponder it's pretty much redundant.

Surely there is an Auto Locksmith that can sort you out without the use of KY?

Nope, he asked me about the spare key, apparently it's relevant that it has a red cap, which makes it a 3 key system. I think he said something about there being 3 different types of caps and red was the bad one :(

Anyway at this stage looks like I'll be stripping it for parts. I wonder if the tyre place would by the tyres back lol, drove on them for less than a week :(

there has to be a way of coding a new key or remap the ecu to work with a new key with the chip in it.

have a look on what a keycoder has to say. i understand i am in the uk but this should apply to all countrys

so it can be done. try phoning around m8 and get some prices. i would recon around £150.00 uk money

as a chipped key £60.00 remapping about £80.00

All modern cars have a security system that requires a uniquely programmed transponder chip in your car key to disable the car’s immobiliser. Without the correct car key programming and code, your new car keys won’t start your car. Although this has decreased the amount of vehicle thefts, it can be mean a costly reprogramming if you have to go to a main dealer.

Here at DRKA, we offer a CHEAP professional car key replacement service in Chesterfield, Nottingham, Sheffield, Derbyshire and surrounding areas using the latest technology to ensure we can programme your car keys to correspond to your on-board computer and immobiliser by the road side. Even if you suspect someone has stolen your keys, you needn’t worry as we can erase the codes of your old keys from the memory of your on-board computer and reprogram it to accept new keys and a new code so you can be sure your car we be secure again.

Could always by an ecu off eBay complete with transponder keys etc....

If the key had a red tab on it, it should be a 2 key system, and according to the documentation 2 key pats was fitted to KA's from 98.5 model year on.

The older 3 key system with a master key I seem to remember the whole body of the key was red.

KA-Pats.pdf

• Like 1

I seem to remember that the old system (red body master key), using the all red key, up to 15 new keys could be made from that one key but you needed the red key

If it is not the red key system (ie just the red tab) you need two working keys to make a third.

Jake off these forums has knowledge of this.

Cheers guys, I think even with a 2 key system at $100 a key and $125 to program them it's still way too much, I'll just hope the parts are in demand.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I think bottom line is once again the little guy gets screwed by corporation lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club