Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Niggles

Genepoolreject

Hi folks, I'm new to the forums but I've come seeking advice.

I have a handful of small issues that I could use some help with on my 2003 focus 1.6 lx.

My first and main concern currently is my 12v sockets, neither work! I found a fuse diagram that showed the correct fuse was number 46 15 amp, my number 46 was a 7.5 amp so swapped for a 15 amp but still no joy!

Secondly, my front wiper does not self park properly. If I single sweep then I have to hold the stalk down till they are parked and the release. It's the same when canceling the wipers, if I turn them off they just stop wherever they are on the screen.

Third, my O/S/R sidelight and brake doesn't work, I've replaced the bulb but no luck, yes it's the correct bulb.

Finally, if anyone has a guide to fixing a wing mirror that would very helpful, mine are manual and the drivers side adjust no longer operates the mirror so I have to move it by hand every so often as the glass slowly moves to give me a perfect view of the flaw.

Well that's all folks, a lot to ask I know but the niggles are mounting up and I expect most fixable with the basic socket and screwdriver set at my disposal. So please, if you can advise how to fix or point me to a thread that will help I would appreciate it!

Hi Daniel,

According to the Owner's Guide for my 2003 Focus fuse 46 is the ABS module and is 7.5Amp. The fuse for the "cigar lighter, centre power point" is number 47 and is 15Amp.

The problem with your wipers is the relay, number 18. I had the same problem and after replacing the faulty unit I opened it up and found the contacts burned away. The front and rear wipers use the same type so you can check by swapping them.

As for the lights I would check the earthing of the light unit. Since the two filaments share an earth if this is broken they are effectively in series so that when when the lights are turned on the current will flow through both and earth through the brake light filament in the other (N/S) light unit. With three filaments in series they will all glow dimly. When you brake they both get 12V so with no voltage difference across them they both go out.

post-757-0-77474900-1427194825_thumb.jpg

Ok 12v socket fixed!! The fuse I used came from slot 42 as my guid says it's not used, can anyone tell me if that's correct?

To get to the relays I need to remove a kind of cover plate, I see 2 screws either side of the fuse panel, any others?

In my book that fuse is shown as the brake lights. I wouldn't expect to find a fuse fitted in a circuit described as 'Not Used'.

I remember I did have to remove a plate, or strut, that was partially obscuring the relays but I don't remember exactly what's there (senility creeps on!).

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=18563

That's the fuse diagram I found.

Wipers fixed, it was the bracket that the fuse box is held onto I was talking about. All sorted now.

So, wipers fixed.

Lights fixed ( WD40 FTW )

12v sockets fixed when I get a fuse later on.

Any idea on the wing mirror.

This is the diagram from my book. Mine's a 2003 Focus 1.8Tdci estate so maybe it's a different book to yours, although I thought it covered all models for that year.

post-757-0-80143400-1427207678_thumb.jpg

Yours is clearly correct despite the one I posted supposedly being for a mk1-mk1.5. Is yours from the handbook?

Yes, it's the handbook that came with the car. On the front it simply says Owners Guide - Focus and on the back, at the bottom beside the Ford emblem it says 12/2002 en RHD so I guess that must be around the changeover date from Mk1 to Mk1.5.

Always handy to have a hand book, I'll have to get one for future reference. Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated!

Now, just the mirror to sort or is it gunna have to be replaced?

Sorry, I keep fogetting to mention that I can't help with the mirror. Hopefully one of the stalwarts on the forum will have some advice.

Not to worry mjt, I've done some googling and can't find a solution so I've ordered a new mirror, 18 quid is not the end of the world.

Since I can't find a fix for the mirror and have ordered a replacement, is there a particular method for removing the cap? I couldn't find it one with a silver cap so just thought I would use my own but don't want to break it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club