Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise At 50Mph Plus

stephen2529

Hi all

not had the car long but noticing a strange whining noise when I hit 50mph plus. Sounds like it's on a rotation which increases with speed. Like this

whine...... Whine...... Whine..... Ect.

Anyone got any idea what to look for?

It's a 2011 mk3 focus 2.0l diesel.

Thanks

Warped brake discs it a wheel bearing

Hmm that may explain why I'm also getting a squeal from the rear brakes when reversing into a space.

Wheel bearings or tyre noise, does sound get louder if you turn steering slightly left or right at 50mph?

No sound stays the same. All tyres are brand new as part of the sale. If it's disks the garage won't do it under its warranty but they will if it's a baring. Trouble is I'm right in the end of the warranty period lol. Typical.

its most likely the wheel bearing.

i also used to get a squeal when braking in reverse, that would be due to possibly lack of anti seize on the pads or something catching the brakes on reverse.

Nothing to worry too much about then.

Hopefully they will fix it under warranty. Fingers crossed.

In starting to think it's actually a noise from the engine. It wasn't as loud yesterday. Infact only noticed it on one stretch of motorway. It's so hard to explain it sounds like the engine noise that naturally occurs while driving. The one that will slow and drop in tone add the car slows to a stop off that makes sense. It's just at 55mph it becomes this whine..... Whine..... Whine... It's nice and quiet at lower speeds.

Maybe it's just the noise these cars make?

Had the car looked at and turns out it is the tyres. They are brand new but the garage or previous owner have put on the cheapest crap they could find basically. They will be ok just loud. I may replace them at some point soon.

At least you know what it is then, doesnt pay to put cheap tyres on, unfortunatly you will have endure the noise or replace new tyres,

We had the same on the mondeo they had put those directional treadded one on. We bit the bullet and changed them after a year

Man it was soooo quiet

I must admit I'm tempted to do it now. All I can focus on its the sound they make lol. I've never had budgets on any car. Can't believe the sound they can make. Good to know is nothing serious though.