Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Parking Sensors

Corky90

Hi, i have a 2012 Zetec focus, i have a problem with the rear parking sensors as they have caused rust to the body work around them to the car. i took it back to ford dealership an they said they are not manufactured sensors they have been put in off someone else.

I was thinking of just taking them out cleaning up the rust and putting them back in but sealing them up properly with a bit of silicon?

Anyone have any ideas how to go about removing the sensors and if its a easy job?

Cheers

Corky

Are you sure it is rust?

I thought the sensors were fitted in to the plastic bumper?

They are fitted to a plastic bumper so how theres rust I don't know the sensor case is also plastic

Shouldn't be steel cables though, and even if they were, there wouldn't be enough to create that much rust...

Are they factory fit sensors OP?

EDIT: Just seen you say they are not.

I bet they are using metal nuts at the back which have rusted. I don't think it is your body work rusting, but the nut behind and it has leaked through.

The bumper is plastic, so will be unaffected, but it might have stained the paint...

Thats a strange one, plastic bumpers front and rear, and all the sensors ive fitted are plastic, no metal parts or nuts etc,

im betting the holes have been drilled in thr wrong place on bumper with the bumper bar directly behind, so had to keep cutting through bar for sensors to fit, and non treated bar seeping rust through sensor gaps in bumper.

bet im right. Lol

That would be really shoddy work if true though. Surely you shouldn't be drilling in to the structure of the car... It could compromise the safety?

Cant think of any other reason for rusting around sensor.

Sounds entirely plausible, just think it is bad if that is what someone has done....

Clearly something metal around or behind the sensor is rusting and the corrosion is leaking through.

Plenty of cowboys in the motortrade, and plenty of d.i.yers who havent got a clue either, concerns me some on here doing there brakes etc and clearly dont have a clue. Cars are leathal weapons without incorrectly fitted parts to make matters worse.

seen to many amatuer efforts with potential disaterous consequences. sorry, rant over.

• Like 1

so any recommendations on what you guys think im best doing? taking the sensors out (how do i do this?) are they bolted behind the bumper so id have to take the bumper off? mayb replace the nuts with plastic ones or what?

Try get under the back end and look at the sensors.

You should be able to work out what is causing the rusty water to seep through