Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bedding In Ecoboost Engine.

MattB911

Hello, I have just got a Fiesta Zetec S ecoboost. My question is does the engine need to be bedded in and if it does what revs/miles should this be done over? I have given it the beans a few times but will this have affected anything?

No real engine bedding in procedure.

I think the manual just says to take it easy on the brakes and clutch to let them bed in for the first 100 miles or something?

I know the brakes were rubbish when I drove my car off the forecourt.

Nothing about the engine then? Does it affect anything if you do give it some in the long run?

People seem to have different theories.

The engines are bench tested before they leave the factory, so have already been red lined, to help the piston rings create a seal.

Some people say you need to drive it fast or it will always be slow, some say to take it easy to avoid damage.

I kept the revs below 4k for the first 100 miles, and tried to take it easy on the clutch and brakes - which I believe is what the manual says.

After that, I just make sure the engine is warmed up before giving it some, like I would any car, regardless of mileage.

• Like 1

My manual says to avoid high speed (but doesn't state what speed that is, stupidly enough) for the first 1000 miles. It also says to not labour the engine for the same 1000 miles (running at too low revs)

But like alex says it's already been tested at the factory, and manufacturing processes today are much better than they were 20 years ago, so I doubt you'll break anything as long as the engine is well warmed up before you trash it. (Do note that just because the cooling water is warm, it doesn't mean the entire engine is - so don't rely on the temp gauge in the car as that's just the water)

Thanks for the responses guy's. I think just normal driving and then boot it from time to time shouldn't do it any harm.

I don't believe engines are run at engine plants before shipping into the manufacturing plant. They may do it on a sample basis but not more than that.

Knowing the amount of parts which are assembled onto engine units once they have been delivered, you are looking at significant labour times if you were to mirror the process at the engine plant, then take it all off again. Even just the basics of exhaust, intake system, wiring loom, and a fuel system. All of this costs money and would need multiple process lines to achieve the necessary volume due to processes taking a lot longer to carry out.

They will go through rolling road drive cycle testing plus a form of road test, however the engines aren't redlined as part of these processes - the purpose of the factory testing is to take car through various drive cycles in different gears, test the brake system, stop/start system and other dynamic tests.

Things to bear in mind when running a new car for it's first 1000 miles or so - you're giving the engine plus gearbox, drivetrain, brakes and tyres a chance to bed in properly before pushing your speed or engine loading too much. Plus it helps reduce the effect/damage caused by faults which may crop up during the first few hundred miles of use.

I've had my car just over 2 weeks now and tbh, I haven't driven it any different to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC