Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noises At The Back Of The Engine!!!

fastmadness15

Hi,

Im new on this forum if this topic has already been talked about please could send me to that link.

So basically i've bought a ford focus mk2 1.6tdci a few months ago, solely because of the mpg.

I've had a full service done including the fuel filter using 5w30 fully synthetic because of the DPF.

Checked through the car service history and it had a new turbo and new seals on the injectors this was last year around 9000+ miles ago. Because this is my first diesel car i thought the tapping/ticking noise was normal but then gets progressively louder when i accelerate, once i let go of the accelerator the ticking sound reduces to the same low ticking when the car is at idle. The sound comes from the back of the engine, i went to three garages and two of them have said it could be the camshaft or the injectors but wont know 100% until they strip down the engine, the third garage said the dmf needs replacing, but clearly the noises are coming from the back of the engine.

I did notice some sort of black residue around the injectors, like the colour of engine oil thinking the head gasket has gone but i've checked that and the engine oil is still nearly full from when i got it serviced, may have dropped a bit but ever so slightly and the coolant tank isn't bubbling. Sometimes there are water droplets falling from the exhaust not all the time but that could a different problem all together just thought id say in case it was related.

could you shed me some light over this issue and is there any testing i can do before i send it off to the garage for a strip down.

Thanks.

My diesel has always been noisy ,it's the tappets.The problem can be fixed with shims but I've decided to live with the noise.When I change the oil,I'm going to try slick 50 and see if that improves the noise.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

My diesel has always been noisy ,it's the tappets.The problem can be fixed with shims but I've decided to live with the noise.When I change the oil,I'm going to try slick 50 and see if that improves the noise.

what are tappets and shims are they the camshafts or the springs underneath the cam lobe?

Hi,

Im new on this forum if this topic has already been talked about please could send me to that link.

So basically i've bought a ford focus mk2 1.6tdci a few months ago, solely because of the mpg.

I've had a full service done including the fuel filter using 5w30 fully synthetic because of the DPF.

Checked through the car service history and it had a new turbo and new seals on the injectors this was last year around 9000+ miles ago. Because this is my first diesel car i thought the tapping/ticking noise was normal but then gets progressively louder when i accelerate, once i let go of the accelerator the ticking sound reduces to the same low ticking when the car is at idle. The sound comes from the back of the engine, i went to three garages and two of them have said it could be the camshaft or the injectors but wont know 100% until they strip down the engine, the third garage said the dmf needs replacing, but clearly the noises are coming from the back of the engine.

I did notice some sort of black residue around the injectors, like the colour of engine oil thinking the head gasket has gone but i've checked that and the engine oil is still nearly full from when i got it serviced, may have dropped a bit but ever so slightly and the coolant tank isn't bubbling. Sometimes there are water droplets falling from the exhaust not all the time but that could a different problem all together just thought id say in case it was related.

could you shed me some light over this issue and is there any testing i can do before i send it off to the garage for a strip down.

Thanks.

The black residue around the injectors sounds like a very common problem with the injector seals. I am very surprised none of the garages have identified this issue. Take it to any good Ford for Peugoet garage and i am sure they have fix the issue many times before.

As above, the black around the injectors is the injectors leaking...this may also cause an odd noise. However it could just be that it wasn't cleaned up properly after the seals were changed last year. Personally I would clean the area with some sort of degreaser and see if the mess comes back. You can also place something long and hard (a screwdriver!) on the injector and place your ear at the other end, that will magnify the sound so you can pinpoint where its coming from.

On another note, your headgasket is most likely fine, combustion creates water/steam so it's perfectly normal to see some from the exhaust.

On the car service history the injector seals have been replaced, they probably didn't clean it while carrying out the work and i have tried the test with the screwdriver and all injectors are working but will check again to see which one ticks louder they all sound the same to me.

But what i'm confused with is as soon as i let go of the accelerator the noise reduces to the ticking sound at idle almost instantly, i would have thought if it was a problem with the camshaft or tappets it would reduce with the engines rev rather than letting go of the accelerator straight away?

Could still be injectors leaking making the noise, what does accompany injectors leaking is a nasty combustion gas smell, very noticable, have a sniff while its running.

other rattles can be the cam chain tensioner / chain loose, they can clatter, rattle,

And before all the numptys start with " its a cam belt" im refering to the chain that links the 2 cams inside.lol

When you first start the car can you here the noise?Or when the car is warmed up?

When you first start the car can you here the noise?Or when the car is warmed up?

As soon as i start the car whether warm or cold the sound is there.

Hi,my engine starts making the noise after about 20 minutes when it starts to warm up and the oil becomes thinner.