Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stolen St3

CF11

Can anyone advise how easy it is to steal a keyless Fiesta ST3? Its supposed to be quite difficult?

We had our new car for 3 hours before it was stolen, they took two minutes to get inside by the handle and next minute they were driving, the alarm did go off. All this was captured on CCTV.

It's apprantly quite easy to steal any ford with keyless start, aslong as they can plug into the OBD port they can start the car.

Quite a few have been stolen in the essex area, another was stolen earlier today but that was done by beating the guy up and stealing the keys ( he's ok and the cars been found now)

Sorry to hear you've fallen victim to this, hope everything is soon sorted out.

To help prevent it look into discloks, OBD port locks, moving the port or extra alarms that disable the port. Apparently there is a fuse that can be removed to disable the port.

• Like 1

Mark, you don't know which fuse?

Mark, you don't know which fuse?

People are saying its fuse 19 (datalink), that's on the ST should be same on your titanium but check the manual.

The checked it afterwards with a OBD reader and the port had no power.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your replies.

The car is actually my son's, Im finding it very hard to get over it to be honest, you pay a lot of money for a brand new car that someone can steal in under 3 minutes?

It all seems a bit of a coincidence as well that this car was stolen so quickly, everyone we speak to thinks its an inside job?? or is he just the victim of pure bad luck? Guess we will never know.

I realise you cant go around acusing people but all seems a bit weird that the guys that got out the car in the car park went straight to his car! Would it be feasible that someone in the garage put a tracker on it before we collected it??

The unfortunate side to all of this, is that it is us that bears the cost of it, paying excess, he will lose his 2 years no claims apparently, will have to repay GAP insurance on any new car that he has, and all the inconvenience involved.

I did tell the Ford Salesmen that perhaps instead of trying to sell extra products they should be recommended trackers etc.

Did this car have keyless entry in addition to keyless start ?

It's entirely possible that when your son locked the car, somebody stood closed used a simple device designed to block signals from the key fob.

Whilst the indicators may flash leaving your son thinking the car locked, the car would infact remain unlocked allowing someone to simply open the door and get it.

What you mentioned about how some guys got straight out of another vehicle would suggest the above was extremely likely, especially if the handle was used.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you've been so unlucky. Hope it all gets sorted in as pain free way as possible!

Very sorry to hear about this.

Having owned my Titanium for almost 2 months, I have all the added extra's (Keyless entry, push start ignition, etc). It wasn't until I stumbled across these amazing Forums, I learned about the vulnerability of the ODB port. Meaning I actually sourced a dummy OBD port from a car breaker. I then hid the real OBD port up inside the dash, and fitted the dummy port in it's place - it does look the real deal. I've also invested in a thatcham 3 steering lock, just for further peace of mind (which I may add is absolutely amazing, and solidly made/built)

post-62796-0-84766200-1427473635_thumb.j

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CMQZ64K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I've also fitted a GPS tracker too, which cost less than £30!

post-62796-0-93278300-1427473913_thumb.j

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NB2KR66?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

People are saying its fuse 19 (datalink), that's on the ST should be same on your titanium but check the manual.

The checked it afterwards with a OBD reader and the port had no power.

^ That is also good to know, i'll be checking my fuse diagram later for this. Definitely extra peace of mind!

• Like 1

I checked out the Thatcham 3 steering lock which Lee mentions and it looks good. Has anyone bought one for their ST (just

wondering if it would fit the steering wheel).

I checked out the Thatcham 3 steering lock which Lee mentions and it looks good. Has anyone bought one for their ST (just

wondering if it would fit the steering wheel).

Of course it will ;)

I do recommend this though (if deciding to purchase):

Little sponges to stop the indents to steering wheel

Locking it like this (In the T section)

• Like 1

Many thanks for confirming and for the advice.

Im so grateful for everyones advice.

Initially he wasnt going to get another, but when the insurance pays up he is going to get another, and get a tracker, a clutch claw and a steering wheel lock of some sort., and something for the OBD port.

Its a shame that you have to go to this extra expense just to stop your car being driven away, but we will definately be taking all precautions to keep it safe.

If it were up to me, being old and sensible ha ha!! I would choose something less attractive to others!

• Like 2

From what I have read about the ease with which these cars can be stolen I think Ford should have had the decency to warn

buyers of what seems to be a clear problem with security. In 2015 you don't expect to buy a car and have to consider buying

steering locks etc.

• Like 1

It's entirely possible that when your son locked the car, somebody stood closed used a simple device designed to block signals from the key fob.

Whilst the indicators may flash leaving your son thinking the car locked, the car would infact remain unlocked allowing someone to simply open the door and get it.

What you mentioned about how some guys got straight out of another vehicle would suggest the above was extremely likely, especially if the handle was used.

The range of the key fob is limited to about 2m max when locking the car so they certainly didn't clone the key off the signal but if they can block the signal that's a worry.as they could be sat anywhere and you wouldn't even see them.

I just tried my Tit and it'll lock & unlock at more than ~20 mtrs.

You've got long arms.

They do unlock and lock further than 2 meters your right their

Unlocking isn't an issue but when locking a new code is transmitted to the car this is what is then needed to unlock the car. On the ST with keyless the range is definitely only a max of 2m. I thought there was a problem when I first got mine being used to being able to lock it as I waled away from the car. Now I have to lock it before I walk off. If you have keyless entry as well then best to lock by touching the small sensor on the handle rather than the fob.

Unfortunately these thieving scum are breaking the small glass panel by the mirror then hooking up a laptop to the OBD port and by passing all the security Ford have built in. This is quite common across all car ranges that are keyless.

Sorry to hear that, it's sad that in today's world we have to worry about things being taken when we've worked for them.

Unfortunately it's not just Fords, Range Rovers area being stolen in the same way and they're 4 times the price! Hopefully the manufacturers will find a way of making them more secure soon.

Why have they put the port where it is?

Why not in the engine bay in a box that needs opened with say 3 * 4mm torx and 3*5mm torx ?

It's not like it's a daily occurrence anyone needs access to it.

• Like 1

Why have they put the port where it is?

Why not in the engine bay in a box that needs opened with say 3 * 4mm torx and 3*5mm torx ?

It's not like it's a daily occurrence anyone needs access to it.

Blame Euro regulations for that one.

The directive states that the port must be within reach of the driver's seat.

Stupid imho.

• Like 2

The steering lock looks to be a reasonable visual deterrent but, can anyone confirm that use of fuse 19 removes power from the OBD port?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC