Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stolen St3

CF11

Unlocking isn't an issue but when locking a new code is transmitted to the car this is what is then needed to unlock the car. On the ST with keyless the range is definitely only a max of 2m. I thought there was a problem when I first got mine being used to being able to lock it as I waled away from the car. Now I have to lock it before I walk off. If you have keyless entry as well then best to lock by touching the small sensor on the handle rather than the fob.

Unfortunately these thieving scum are breaking the small glass panel by the mirror then hooking up a laptop to the OBD port and by passing all the security Ford have built in. This is quite common across all car ranges that are keyless.

The amount of times I see people walk off and lock the car (or think they have locked the car) without looking back.

I always use the door handle button to lock as the fob is always in my pocket, its just easier than searching for my fob.

I also use the wing mirror power fold on locking, its a sure sign its locked.

• Like 1

The power folds will be the next thing to pack-up/wear out ;)

But yep, I always lock with the door button.

• Like 1

People are saying its fuse 19 (datalink), that's on the ST should be same on your titanium but check the manual.

The checked it afterwards with a OBD reader and the port had no power.

This is correct. Shows in my Titanium manual as "Data Link connector" Fuse 19, 15A.

The steering lock looks to be a reasonable visual deterrent but, can anyone confirm that use of fuse 19 removes power from the OBD port?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

See post above ^

Sorry to hear that mate I know how ur son feels my car got stolen a fews weeks back. I put a post up a while back on here.

• Like 1

Thanks for the confirmation on fuse 19.

I've seen other 'workarounds' like putting in a fake OBD port and, if just removing the fuse will give the same or similar protection for you car, I'd just like to know if fuse 19 is taken out then, apart from removing the power from the OBD port, will this cause any other problems with anything else in the system?

I.e. When the car is started and driving normally, what is the likelihood of error messages being shown on the cars display or issues with anything else on the car?

Apparently you can just unscrew the gear knob and it's off.

Plus, my gear knob/shaft is too large for these.

Just pull out the fuse and see what happens.

I just tried my Tit and it'll lock & unlock at more than ~20 mtrs.

Same here, I just tried it when I was at the bottom end of the car park (multi-storey). My car was right at the other end, I pressed the unlock button on my fob - the vehicle unlocks. This was more than 20 meters, I was roughly 30 meters (maybe more) away from my vehicle.

Thanks for the confirmation on fuse 19.

I've seen other 'workarounds' like putting in a fake OBD port and, if just removing the fuse will give the same or similar protection for you car, I'd just like to know if fuse 19 is taken out then, apart from removing the power from the OBD port, will this cause any other problems with anything else in the system?

I.e. When the car is started and driving normally, what is the likelihood of error messages being shown on the cars display or issues with anything else on the car?

There will be no errors messages, if and when driving the vehicle with fuse 19 removed. With fuse 19 removed, there will be no power to the ODB port. Basically if you were to plug a device into the OBD port (with fuse removed) any given device will not work. Simply because there is no power in the port, as remember the fuse would have been removed. Just think of it like a normal household plug, if you remove the fuse and plug it into a socket - switching it on... it will not work.

This is exactly the same principle ;)

• Like 3

Pity it wasn't dead all the time and when ford or rac or AA need it they put a fuse in.

This is very concerning. I didn't realise the keyless system was so vulnerable! I can't afford the VIPER alarm system upgrade but what about disklok? If some crims turned up and defeated the security in a matter of seconds, surely they will come unstuck when faced with this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cover-Medium-Silver-Security-Disklok/dp/B00JVS52J6/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1427655881&sr=1-4&keywords=disklok

• Like 1

This is very concerning. I didn't realise the keyless system was so vulnerable! I can't afford the VIPER alarm system upgrade but what about disklok? If some crims turned up and defeated the security in a matter of seconds, surely they will come unstuck when faced with this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cover-Medium-Silver-Security-Disklok/dp/B00JVS52J6/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1427655881&sr=1-4&keywords=disklok

Disklok is ok, but it's big and bulky. Meaning taking it on and off, you'll eventually end up knocking bits in the car. I've gone for something a little smaller (still category 3 thatcham), and it does the job very well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CMQZ64K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

Seems very reasonable value. So if crims were confronted with that device, how long would it take them to defeat it? I'm guessing quite a while, especially if they have just come tooled up to only take on the OBD port.

I also assume that the removal of the aforementioned fuse completely defeats them anyway?

Not an issue for me parking at work but the driveway overnight or in town etc could be an issue.

• Like 1

Its been interesting reading all the ideas on this topic.

We are stll shellshocked that the car was taken so soon, and so easy for them to get into. I am writing to Ford to tell them how easy there cars are to break into.

Its just a shame that you arent allowed to own anything nice without certain others wanted to ruin it!!!

Hopefully the insurance will pay up within 2 to 3 weeks. Have to say Elephant Insurance have been very good so far.

Where is the fusebox anyway?

Behind the glove compartment

• Like 1

So does fuse 19 not control anything else other than the OBD port? You not going to get locked out the car or disable the alarm by removing it are you? If it is the case then surly this is the best route for all owners of fords - then the garage or recovery can pop one in when needed.

Behind the glove compartment

Thanks. My car is in for a service on the 8th of April so I might ask Ford if they will remove the fuse for me. If they say no I will do it myself.

In the meantime its steering lock time!

• Like 1

Thanks. My car is in for a service on the 8th of April so I might ask Ford if they will remove the fuse for me. If they say no I will do it myself.

In the meantime its steering lock time!

All you need to do, is open the glove box, push the sides inwards and the compartment will drop down. Which enables you to access the fuse board, easy peasy... lemon squeezy! :D

• Like 1

Didn't realise it was so easy. The key though, as has been mentioned, is that we must be sure it affects the OBD port and nothing else.

I also assume that with the fuse out, there is no way the OBD attack can work as it will have no power. Unless these crims have a backup plan...

**EDIT** Just read a previous post that confirms this method defeats the OBD attack with no side effects

Didn't realise it was so easy. The key though, as has been mentioned, is that we must be sure it affects the OBD port and nothing else.

I also assume that with the fuse out, there is no way the OBD attack can work as it will have no power. Unless these crims have a backup plan...

**EDIT** Just read a previous post that confirms this method defeats the OBD attack with no side effects

No fuse. No power to OBD port ;)

• Like 1

I guess thier backup plan is quick entry to fuse box and put fuse 19 back in. Still...It would add at least another 30 secs, maybe a minute on to crime by time they realise.

• Like 1

Which would trigger the alarm as you have to be in the car to get access to the fuse box. Can't be done from the window and a real fiddle to do. I guess you could put a low blown fuse in the slot that then means you have to fiddle to remove before replacing.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club