Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Sat Nav/live Tracker

jace1969

I have sent a few messages to see if someone can shine a bit of light on this.

Please allow for me being a bit thick on this. :) sorry for bing a bit long.

If a sat nav relies on satallites to sort out what road your on and you see it live,job done.

So does a tracker do the same and store it online to look at your route you have taken(by lines).

If this is the case why do you get lines out of sync with the road a lot of times on the history on

a tracker that's saved the route when you look back,is it down to how you have set the update to

the internet,in this case 30second or 40seconds and so on as mine gives the route but goes over

building in some cases or over fields,gives me where i started and finish but some times i will get a line

over houses etc. 'how the crow flies'

Thanks

Trackers tend to update at set intervals and draw a route directly from one point to another so may not necessarily correspond to a road.

Also, depending on satellite lock quality due to a weak signal, the estimated positional error (epe) can vary from 10 to 100 metres radius from your true location or track.

As the navigation satellites are supplied by the Americans (primarily for their military) they have the ability to vary any current epe as they see fit.

• Like 1

Trackers tend to update at set intervals and draw a route directly from one point to another so may not necessarily correspond to a road.

Also, depending on satellite lock quality due to a weak signal, the estimated positional error (epe) can vary from 10 to 100 metres radius from your true location or track.

As the navigation satellites are supplied by the Americans (primarily for their military) they have the ability to vary any current epe as they see fit.

Seems you know a bit,thanks.

The set place of my car (where it's parked ) aint that bad at all it's only the line say from A to B.

So nothing to do with the time it up dates then.

Also it has a sim card PAYG on 2G and it never uses any data from it,i have gone for GPS only setting but some say it should.

I have looked online on my sim card account and all it charges is 15p text if i send and reply back to me.

There online tracker software is free lifetime membership.

• Like 1

I have a reasonably high end tracking system in my car (a legacy from a previous owner that I got reactivated) and have realtime location updates as part of the contract.

Having a fairish knowledge of satnav tech from my military days also helps.

I also use a Tracker detection terminal for work however that is a radio direction/signal strength system rather than satellite based.

If anyone has an old i-phone they could also use the in-built location programme Apple employ.

Mate you are a great help and as i said i'm a bit thick on a few stuff like this lol.

It does use data ( see thick) as i did think it should but so little in a day it's like 10p or so.

All i wanted it for is logging my travel and seeing where my car was,the lines being out aint a major thing

as long i know a rough guide of from and where to and the place it ends up.

• Like 1

Also handy if you misplace the car in a Tesco's carpark :p

• Like 1

Also handy if you misplace the car in a Tesco's carpark :P

You been spying on me,thats so weird lol.

Tried it yesterday on my iPhone,rang and got text back with link to google maps.

Guess where,tesco car park. :)

• Like 1

Educated guess :D

Now that's what you call ''live tracking''

• Like 1

Another thing,my tracker has sim card and gps so its (GPRS AND GPS) i think they call it,first one being sim card.

Looking at my online map when i got home i had a line going right over fields then it meets the road again.

In this area where it seems to lost signal i did on my phone when i was talking so i have to ring back.

I know as every one says there not fool proof but this was way out in the same place i lost phone signal.

Is this right,signal from satellite to tracker then sim card network sends to internet (data).

Could be worth trying another sim as i have a vodafone one as the one they supply is lycamobile.

Im on vodafone myself.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club