Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Ford Fair Insurance

laumk7

Another probably silly question, but do I need to tell my insurers I'm taking my car to this event?

I have absolutely no intention of racing it (it's a 1 litre fgs!), but do they need to know? And will it affect my premium?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Nope & nope ! :)

I think it works just like driving your car onto any private land i.e. you're insurance company don't care because they won't cover you if anything happens while you're there.

....because they won't cover you if anything happens while you're there.

:o for real?

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

:o for real?

I might be wrong but that's what I assume. Maybe someone else can explain it, but once you drive onto private land the rules of the road don't really apply (or maybe they do, I don't know), and there's probably something in the insurance contract that means they don't have to cover you because of that.

I've been onto my insurers and you're absolutely spot on :o

So I've opened another thread over in ford related: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/69146-ford-fair-insurance-again-urgent-needs-answering-by-organisers-asap/#entry471600

• Like 1

It didn't even occur to me last year that I wasn't insured while driving to and from the stand lol.

There are limitations to public liability insurance. If someone hits you while driving to the stand then PLI won't cover you. But if a gazeebo (owned by the club) hits your car then its covered. You cannot expect PLI to cover you for everything. There is a form of risk.

However, in the 14 years doing meets I have only ever seen one instance where a car was damaged due to wind blowing a banner stand in to a car.

As most stands are static then the risk is pretty small. more chance recking your car on the M25 i reckon

• Like 1

The clubs public liability is £5m which will cover you on the pitch.

• Like 1

I might be wrong but that's what I assume. Maybe someone else can explain it, but once you drive onto private land the rules of the road don't really apply (or maybe they do, I don't know), and there's probably something in the insurance contract that means they don't have to cover you because of that.

As far as I know, the car is still covered on private land.

Otherwise going to a supermarket car park would mean you are uninsured?

I think PLI is only needed if the private land owner is deemed liable for the damage, like something on their property causes it.

So if someone manages to hit your car at FF, surely that is still covered on your own car insurance?

• Like 1

i think it is still covered if another insured car hits your insured car.

But if on private land the land owner or event pitch organisation smashes your car then the PLI is covered.

Also PLI will cover for accidents. So lets say something electrical gies wrong and kills someone then this is covered.

• Like 1

So maybe it's not as bad as I thought, and it's not likely that anything is going to happen anyway. Most of the time everyone is driving slowly (except in the infamous tunnel), and a lot of the cars are so loud that you'll hear them before you get close enough to crash into them lol.

Just another quick Q before I lay this to rest - who's liable should I come back and find my car scratched whilst it's on the club stand?

As an aside I called my insurers and they told me attendance of this event IS something they need to know, all permissions have been granted and my premium uneffected

Just another quick Q before I lay this to rest - who's liable should I come back and find my car scratched whilst it's on the club stand?

As an aside I called my insurers and they told me attendance of this event IS something they need to know, all permissions have been granted and my premium uneffected

Your liable if it gets scratched your choice to put it on the stand your risk if some one scratched it.

Same as if you park in tesco car park, someone comes along and keys it good luck trying to get tesco to take liability

Fine I just won't take it then, well done :)

It will be covered by your car insurance though in those instances.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club