Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 1.6Tdci Fuel Filter

Eric_Banner

Does anyone know what the service interval is for the fuel filter?

Keen not to let it get over due. On this engine is it in the engine bay or back near the fuel tank?

TIA

It's good practice to change it at least yearly - irrespective of what Fraud recommend.

Interesting you say that, we have another 1.6 tdci in the family and it kept cutting out. Turned out to be the fuel filter and it hasn't been changed for about two years.

Is it a job I could DIY on the mk3?

Yes, it's D.I.Y. - able :)

Fresh oil & new oil filter every 6,000 miles too on any diesel is good practice.

• Like 1

Official is 3 years , 37.5k , but more often is better, under bonnet on the right side of engine as you look at it, diy, easy enough .

Well mine is overdue then, 44k and not had it done. Was only at 33k for it's second service.

Is there a manual or a video somewhere I could get educated with? I know you have to drain a bit of diesel out and re-prime the system but that's about it.

Engine cover off, 4 8mm headed bolts holding bracket on , disconnect sensor electrical plug, disconect both fuel lines, then 2 8mm bolts holding filter in place.

Lift out fuel filter assy.

now the tricky bit, on top of filter is what looks like another connector, thats the fuel drain tap, hold over a bucket or simular to catch fuel, turn tap clockwise until fuel come out bottom drain, turn tap as far as it will go. Then you can undo the 3 torx screws holding filter assy together, pull top off filter. Job done. Then reverse procedure, and draw fuel through with primer pump

• Like 1

draw fuel with primer pump care to explain

Basically you need to fill the new filter with fuel and draw out the air or the car wont start, so you refit the supply pipe from tank to the filter, keep the pipe from filter to engine injection pump off , and attatch a primer pump from filter , primer pump is a one way pump with pipes each end you squeaze that draws fuel through filter , when full it flows through primer pump to a bucket to catch excess fuel , when its flowing without air bubbles coming through then filter is primed/full of fuel , job done. Refit pipe from filter to engine injection pump

does that make sense, difficult to explain properly.

have a search on eBay for primer pumps

Just had a search and even screwfix do them, £7.99

most common rail diesels these days are self priming, surely there is no need to prime the filter manually, install new filter with some diesel in, turn the ignition key listen for fuel pump priming the system then start? No???

No!, the only ford that pumps its self is newer transit and then you still need to bleed out the air even on that one.

if you can sucessfully fill the filter first then maybe but most filters are very awkward to fill, some are not

Had a quick look this evening, the fuel filter (I think, is at the back right corner of the engine block under the cover. I think I'll give it ago, sounds fairly straight forward.

This is what I own and I doubt it has enough ommph to start a completely dead Focus at 1600 amp instantaneous peak

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Booster-Starter-Rescue-SIP/dp/B0089A2C4A/ref=sr_1_cc_8?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1428011031&sr=1-8-catcorr&keywords=battery+booster

OK, lithium are a lot more energy dense than lead acid, but no way something phone size can hold anywhere near as much as this

Sealey's best mini is this at 405amps max

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-LSTART405-Lithium-Ion-Starter-Power/dp/B00NVK388W/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1428011220&sr=1-1&keywords=battery+booster+glove+box

and at around 13amphours its half the capacity

The sealey mini is a good unit, much better than many of the eBay specials yet it can only generate 1/4 peak amps for half the time and its twice the price

Order a hand pump to prime the system after, but having had a look around I can't figure out if the entire housing gets changed or it just gets opened and the inner filter changed?

The Mk2 Focus seems to be the whole unit changed but online I can only really see just the paper canister filters for the mk3.

Any ideas what I should be expect to get for the Mk3 tdci?

TIA

Its nots the whole filter assy , the top comes off leaving the filter in a metal casing to replace, re read my ealier post and you will see.

Thanks Ian, re-read and make sense. When you mentioned metal casing I thought it was the whole thing.

This is the part I want right?

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_fuel_filter_assy___f_1780195_c_1183.htm

Does say: "For 1.6 Duratorq DI TC (95PS)" but mine is the 115PS. Surely not a different filter for each engine?

Yep , that's the one, if you want to be double sure , look at top of filter and look for the 3 torq screws, you will see from the part you linked to the 3 pegs that the screws screw in to on filter.

I order the part from amazon, who'd have thought they had that part ready for next day delivery.

I'll get a few pictures when I do the switch so the next me can see some pictures of the job.