Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf "charging"

Promethean

I'm having to put my car in to get the DPF replaced on my focus. Now over the phone they said it's half an hours work, however, if they need to 'charge' it then it'll be 1.5hrs work which will bump the labour cost up. Can anyone tell me what's required when charging the DPF? Do they simply plug it into something and leave it for an hour, in which case, is that really classed as 'labour' when they leave it and go work on someone elses car?

It's the application of a D.C. electric field to oxidise particle matter inside the D.P.F. - in simple terms it's electrically cleaned to some extent.

It's the application of a D.C. electric field to oxidise particle matter inside the D.P.F. - in simple terms it's electrically cleaned to some extent.

Thanks for the reply. So is it just a case of plug it in and leave it? Would you say that warrants charging someone an extra hours labour?

Sorry, I'm not a Ford dealer !

I suppose compared to the cost of a new DPF it's reasonable ?

I'm confused you say its going in for a DPF replacement. If so it is going to be a lot more than half an hours labour, I would say more like 3 hours as a lot needs to be removed to change it. Do you mean they are going to try a forced regeneration? That should only take about half an hour, unless they have to do a dynamic regeneration as that will take longer as it involves driving the car through certain cycles.

Maybe I'm being thick but DPF's work chemically via the catalysts in the matrix and heat, there is NO electricity involved and certainly never heard of an electric current being needed on one

Is it possible they just need to replace the pipes? It was the garage receptionist that called and more or less read to me what was required, she did mention the DPF pipes had burst and were awaiting parts, her exact words were if it needs charged it'll be 1.5hrs, if not then 30 mins.

I know whats needed, the dpf sensor pipes burn and disintergrate at the dpf end of pipes.

the dpf wont have regenerated while pipes burnt/ split.

So after fitting pipes, depending on wether the dpf is requiring regening will depend on static regen needing doing extra.

On past experience its normally required.

Hi what milage has it done

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Hi what milage has it done

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I think Iantt got it right. It's done 80k which from reading is about the miles you can manage before they get knackered.

I would agree with Ian, changing those pipes takes less than half an hour. But it will almost certainly need regenerating after which takes different amountsof time depending on how clogged it's got.

They aren't replacing the DPF itself, your bill would be 4 figures and it'd take most of the day if so lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club