Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Bearing

pharoah2014

I have a 55reg mk2 focus and need a wheel bearing changed on the rear I know it's the whole hub but is it hard to do with having drum brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

It is pretty easy to change the rear wheel hubs on the Focus MK2 and MK2.5. it is basically just a 30 minute job.

After the wheel has been removed there is only one clip securing the brake drum. After this clip has been removed the brake drum can be removed from the wheel hub. In some cases the brake drum may be seized onto the wheel hub. It may be necessary to use a large 9bearing) puller to remove the brake drum.

After the brake drum has been removed the wheel hub can be removed. The wheel hub is secured with 4 bolts which are inserted from the back side of the trailing arms. Depending on the production date of the car these bolts can have an internal or an external Torx head. If the bolts have an internal Torx head they should be replaced by bolts with an external Torx head. After these bolts have been removed the complete wheel hub can be removed from the trailing arms.

Note that the drum brake back plate is clamped between the trailing arm and the wheel hub. This back plate does also come loose if the wheel hub is removed.

• Like 1

Sounds a bit hard for someone who hasn't a clue haha looks like am going have to pay £130 to get it changed

I've been serching for a decent answer to this as I bought 2 rear wheel bearings but for the love of it I couldn't figure how to get access to the 4 torx screws thanks gonna try this tomoz

Also pics would be handy to know what to look for on the drums

this is an amazing guide I found on here for changing the Drums to discs, you should find all you need though the guides for swapping out the hubs, id say that part your doing is probably the easiest part of the whole thing, save yourself the 130 an go get a Haynes manual or use this guide and sign up to be a paid member on here ;)

Drum brake to Disc brake conversion.pdf

• Like 1

I've got a Haynes manual. The only prob with them is the pic quality is poor

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

It is was but not always on the focus when mine was done they removed the rear drums and had to disconnect the handbrake cable but the rear bolts on the hub were solid and not easy to remove when they got them out the hub was rusted in place it took a good bit to get it off in the end if IDE done it myself then IDE have been stuck

this is an amazing guide I found on here for changing the Drums to discs, you should find all you need though the guides for swapping out the hubs, id say that part your doing is probably the easiest part of the whole thing, save yourself the 130 an go get a Haynes manual or use this guide and sign up to be a paid member on here ;)

That is the guide I wrote some years ago LOL.
  • Like 1

That is the guide I wrote some years ago LOL.

Ha, yeah I've been gathering the parts an just waiting for some good weather, all looks pretty simple but I'm less sure about the heat shield removal an swapping out the handbrake cable. Going to pull that shield off first then test all the nuts to check for problems. Once in happy an the sun is out for a weekend ill go for it cheers for the guide tho makes it all look nice an simple!

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know if you need to remove the brake shoes on the rear drums to change the rear wheel bearings on a ford focus mark 2 2005 1.6 zetec

yes as it all needs to come off

Thanks artscot 79 I was hoping that wasn't the case changed brake shoes before and hated it cause off those  springs there more off a pain to do  than just changing the bearing 

you could technically get away with it if the hub comes away easily enough

The last 2 rear bearings I done for PaisleyJim were absolutely solid - had been in place 10 years right enough. I beat the full 7 shades out of them with a big mash hammer and IIRC ended up putting a bar/punch on the back and smashing through the plastic cover until it hit something solid then whacked them off the car that way. 

Yes it's possible to remove rear hubs without removing shoes etc. 

• Like 1

No need to remove shoes at all, just the drum, then undo the 4 bolts and tap out

• Like 1

Don't tickle it with a toffee hammer though :lol: 

My tickling stick is 10lb . Lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iantt said:

My tickling stick is 10lb . Lol

Mine has a 10" shaft :lol: 

• Like 1

My shaft bigger than yours , lol

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club