Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Titanium X Sport

Rs4er

Hi guys, I'm a new guy here looking for some advice.

I currently drive a 2001 Audi RS4. Love the car to bits but have a growing family and even though it's an estate car, the rear seat space is farcical. It is also used for the school run by my wife! The fuel costs and wear and tear is killing me. So now, as much as I dread it, it has to be replaced by a 7 seater.

I've done some research and the S Max seems to suit my needs best. I love the Audi Q7 but I would never be seen in a Chelsea Tractor. Really do not see the need for them unless one has a farm!

I'm looking at the 2.0 TDCi Titanium X Sport. Reason being its economical AND it can be remapped ;-)

My only concern is the dreaded DPF. the car will mainly be used by my wife for the school run, which currently is a 7 mile round trip. Is the diesel S Max risky for such short distances?

Any advice, hints and tips greatly welcome - especially from anyone who has remapped.

A diesel isnt your best bet for short journeys and economy will suffer. Giving it a good run (keep the revs up) at the weekends should be ok though. I know what you mean about "downsizing" though. I come from an American V8 background with 600+ rwhp vehicles and my last was a V8 545 touring BMW but i needed more space for work and the S-Max fitted the bill, i must say its a nice place to be. Mine is a 58 2.2 Individual with a manual shift. Its been chipped to approx 228 hp with a boot full of extra torque and it now drives as it should have from the factory. Economy is good with 40 ish around town and i had 55 on a long run (brim 2 brim figures). Just be carefull and check the roof blind operation on the facelifts as its a known fault and around £1K to fix from Fords.

Hi Exdecuk, thanks for the advice. American cars hey! There's a lovely black Dodge Charger round the corner from me that tempts me everything I go past it! But I need to think sensible these days, so.....

If I went for petrol my only option would be the 2.0. But that is one hell of a thirsty engine. If memory serves me right, it delivers around 25mpg in town.

I believe the 2.0 diesel is around the 35 mpg in town. I'm going for an auto so slightly more thirsty.

Roughly how much economy would you lose on short trips in a diesel?

I've driven an s max via my last job. But that was 2 years ago and I paid no attention to how it drives etc as I had no interest in the car at all let alone thinking I would one day consider buying one :lol:

Once it has decent mileage on the clock (probably 20k or more) and driven properly in that time (not driving miss daisy style) it will be loose enough to return 40+ around town and high 50s on a run. Add a tuning box or remap and the driving experience will be better plus mpg will go up too. If your going for the powershift box its a £250 / £300+ service every 3 years / 35K miles and has to be asked for as its not included as standard.

My initial thought was, Keep the RS4. It's a wicked car! Get a sensible family car for ferrying the children :)

If you are concerned about DPF issues and since you are thinking of remapping it, maybe consider getting rid of the DPF all together. That way, avoid issues with short runs and upside is slightly better power as well.

If it was me, and I needed a 7 seater, I would also consider a Volvo XC90. Friend of ours has the old model and it's a tank. Looks lovely in dark grey.

I would love to keep the RS and have a family car. The RS has always been one of my dream cars. I know that once I sell it, that's pretty much it. It's a rare car, especially in the colour and spec of mine.

But I really cannot justify 2 cars in the family. The car will mostly be used for the school run as I work in central London. And we very rarely - if ever - both need a car at the same time.

Removing the DPF is an option, but I can't bear going through the "friendly MOT tester" thing all over again ;) I will though definitely get it mapped.

As for the Volvo XC90 - I despise 4x4s unless they're owned by a farmer who needs it for his day-to-day farming duties :lol:

I picked up my s max titanium x sport today, it's very impressive, 2.0 163bhp is quite good, plenty to overtake etc, holds the road really well, looks ace.

Get yourself one you won't regret it

Congratulations Lee.

I was supposed to see a couple today but other things got in the way.

I'm going to try and sneak out tomorrow to see them.

They don't seem to stay long at the garages, I missed out on 2 as I couldn't get to see them. But if your willing to travel then there's plenty for sale.

I have the 2.0 163 tdci and driving home last night from derby (135 mile to home) I was on cc at 80mph and it returned 49.6mpg which I was impressed with, a few stop starts due to idiot drivers but hey hi.

They don't seem to stay long at the garages, I missed out on 2 as I couldn't get to see them. But if your willing to travel then there's plenty for sale.

I have the 2.0 163 tdci and driving home last night from derby (135 mile to home) I was on cc at 80mph and it returned 49.6mpg which I was impressed with, a few stop starts due to idiot drivers but hey hi.

That's a good return.

Please let us know how you do with in town driving.

Been driving locally since sat now, mpg reads 42-45. Still good for a big car

Sure beats my current 17mpg!

For a big and not exactly slow car, those are very good figures.

It's slow compared to your bad !Removed! rs4!!

Most cars are though.

Yeah I'm pretty happy with the figures

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, apologies for being away for so long without an update.

I finally got to go and see a couple of Ss and having driven them, as much as I enjoyed the luxury of the ride, the space, the high ride height, I realised that I just couldn't bring myself to part with my RS.

The S Max isn't completely cancelled out though. I just need to bring myself to be a little more sensible. I hope that makes sense.

Also, the good lady is absolutely livid at my immaturity, so no doubt the pressure will keep mounting to buy the sensible car.

• Like 1

I will say it again, keep the Rs4. It's an awesome car :)

Is having 2 cars not feasible? Maybe a cheap run around for the school trips?

My own future plans will be to have a sensible family car e.g station wagon or big hatchback and a fun/sports car for myself and my wife. I might end up with the diesel family car as I drive long distances while she ends up with an Audi S4 wagon. I will still get to drive the S4 :p