Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres

itsrelfy

Hi all

I know this topic has probably been done to death but I thought I would ask for your opinions.

I need a set of new tyres and I can't decide what I want.

Currently the car has the original tyres it came with Michelin primacy hp. They have done 29000 miles and I can't say I have any complaints.

But I'm looking at these new sort of Eco tyres thinking should I get these. The ones I'm looking at are dunlop blue response or goodyear efficient performance.

But then I've seen good things about Hankook ventus evo2 k120 and they are a bit cheaper.

So I don't know know.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these tyres they want to share.

I suppose I'm mainly after a decent mix of economy, handling and quietness.

Many thanks

Adrian.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I have a pair of Dunlop Sport BluResponse on mine, quiet, grippy in the wet and dry, decent strength in the sidewalls, will be chucking another pair on when the others wear out. I haven't noticed any change at all in economy though which was a bit disappointing, but can't fault them anywhere else!

• Like 1

Hi ya thanks for the reply. Are yours the 17" tyre. I'm quite interested in the wet grip cause I do lots of motorway miles so I want to know they will be fine at getting rid of the water.

No they're 16s, 205/55/16.

They're fitted on the rear and I haven't managed to drift the backend at all since fitting lol, though I can push the front out on Hankook Ventus' with a bit of effort, they will be replaced with the Dunlops as well when they drop to around 3mm.

Wet grip was one of my main criteria when choosing them tbh. I've used Uniroyal Rainsports a couple of times on previous cars as most of driving is on wet country roads where I have had issues with cheaper tyres in the past. The Rainsports tend to be a bit soft for cornering and wear quickly though, I find the Dunlops have as good wet grip but firmer sidewalls, can't really comment on wear rates as I've only had them 3 months and they're on the back anyway.

A few people on the forum including me have the GoodYear Efficient Grip Performance tyres.

Positives:

* Extremely quiet.

* Seems to get decent MPG.

* The grip (including wet grip) is very good - I've avoided a couple of near misses, partly thanks to the tyres.

Negatives:
* Sidewalls are a bit 'soft' in my opinion, so there is a small hint of 'sway' on the car.

* Apparently since it is a 'softer' tyre, it wears slightly quicker than harder tyres. (Though this doesn't bother me, as tyres are something I am prepared to pay for to get the best quality.)

• Like 1

Always use good branded tyres in my opinion.

i have used the cheaper tyres and they are scary in the wet.

Tom, why dont you put the Dunlops on the front and use the Hankkooks on the back as front is where you will need more grip than anywhere else.

all very good tires with dunlop followed by goodyear being best with Hankook being the best value for money IMHO

I'm seriously considering Michelin's newCross Climate tyres once they come out later this month.

They reckon there the first all year round tyre (Google them) so no more changing for winter tyres.

Oh & heads up this coming winter 2015/16 is going to be a bad one, reason I know - because i traded my 4x4 in for the focus & it's just my luck :-)

Tom, why dont you put the Dunlops on the front and use the Hankkooks on the back as front is where you will need more grip than anywhere else.

Fair point but there are pros and cons to both when you only get a pair of tyres, my preference is new ones on the rear.

As you say the grip up front is useful during steering and pulling away.

But controlling a rear end slide or blowout is much harder than a front end one. As the older tyres degrade and take more punishment over time they could potentially fail and cause that situation. Leaving old ones on the back will also allow them to degrade to the point where you have to change them for safety reasons despite there being loads of tread left. Seems like a waste to me.

Also, fronts obviously suffer more wear and particularly edge wear from harsh cornering in my case haha, so I'd rather that was happening to the older tyres to wear them down rather than the brand new ones.

In the next couple of months I will be getting another pair of Dunlops and they will go on the rear, the current rears will move to the front. As said there are pro's and con's to both and this is my preference.

• Like 1

So if I ended up with a set of hankooks I wouldn't be dissapointed.

I wouldn't normally worry but I'm getting married this year so all my spare money is going on the wedding and everything that comes with it.

Fair point but there are pros and cons to both when you only get a pair of tyres, my preference is new ones on the rear.

As you say the grip up front is useful during steering and pulling away.

But controlling a rear end slide or blowout is much harder than a front end one. As the older tyres degrade and take more punishment over time they could potentially fail and cause that situation. Leaving old ones on the back will also allow them to degrade to the point where you have to change them for safety reasons despite there being loads of tread left. Seems like a waste to me.

Also, fronts obviously suffer more wear and particularly edge wear from harsh cornering in my case haha, so I'd rather that was happening to the older tyres to wear them down rather than the brand new ones.

In the next couple of months I will be getting another pair of Dunlops and they will go on the rear, the current rears will move to the front. As said there are pro's and con's to both and this is my preference.

The advice I was given from a good friend with many years experience working in the tyre trade was that the rear end of the car is like a trailer in terms of how much control you have over it, while you have more control over what the front end is doing. So the better rubber goes on the back wheels.

Depends on your tyre budget obviously, I have had good experiences with Goodyear Eagle F1's. Just put a new set of 19's on my Oz's so my money goes behind that recommendation.

In the past the Falken 5452's were an excellent choice and price but have now been replaced with a much less well received version :( Only drawback was them not having rim protection.

• Like 1

Good tyres on the rear , or good tyres all round. Thats the safest way

I have Yokohama s drive on my focus. Can't say I've had any probs with them brilliant I. The dry or wet. 90 quid a tire from asda tyers lol

I have Yokohama s drive on my focus. Can't say I've had any probs with them brilliant I. The dry or wet. 90 quid a tire from asda tyers lol

hmm, I cant seem to find many places that sells them,

Black Circles have them at £65 a tyre

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/yokohama/s-drive

but none in the 205/55/16

I currently have Dunop SP Sport Fast Response on, great tyre so far, but a lot of road noise

Dunlop Sport FastResponse, found they are almost as good as the bluresponse for wet grip but last longer, some of these goodyear tyres are amazing but the wear just makes it extremely expensive. Don't get me wrong, you don't want to skimp on the tyres but equally I don't like burning money either.

Saying that, my car has Westlake RP28s on the front from before I got it and considering they are considered a budget brand, they are remarkably good. good wear, reasonable grip, very loud. ill be replacing with Dunlop fast response but if your on a really tight budget then id short list them at least.

Good tyres on the rear always. the focus weight is I believe 60/40 split, that's something like 800Kg over the front and 530 over the rears, if you brake heavy you could potentially transfer say 50% of that weight forward meaning your rears suddenly have only a couple hundred kilos pushing down on them, 100 each, add a corner in to that and you will transfer some of that weight to one side as well meaning potentially 4/5 or more of the normal weight on one wheel has suddenly gone, change the angle of the road and more can be lost, if your tyres are crap and don't grip then your asking to induce a slide, not braking on corners will help greatly though but the principle is the same there is always less weight over the rears so their grip is much more likely to let go first.

hmm, I cant seem to find many places that sells them,

Black Circles have them at £65 a tyre

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/brands/yokohama/s-drive

but none in the 205/55/16

I currently have Dunop SP Sport Fast Response on, great tyre so far, but a lot of road noise

Try asda tyers

Do you know anyone with a Costco card

If so try one of their warehouses top quality tyres. All fitted and well priced