Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Wire For Additional 12V Socket Mk2 Focus

Jarhead

Hi all,

Been spending the afternoon reading the forums and a bit confused.

I'm adding a 12v socket behind the existing and want to know the best way to take the feed. I was going to splice into the existing socket but how do I know which wires to cut into (I'll assume that they are colour coded?). I notice in the guides there is a DIY loom to piggyback the two sockets together but I can't find the parts to do this online, hence splice with the blue connectors that allow a connection to be made without cutting cables.

Also, is it good practice to put an inline fuse on the second socket just in case? It will only have a 2.1amp charging socket connected.

Electricity isn't my strong point so any advice is welcome, appreciate the patient as I know its been talked about before.

Phil

The Best and safest way is to go to Halfords and buy a fuse tap off, they call it a spur, you would remove the existing cigar fuse, insert the tap off in its place, reinsert the fuse you removed and add another fuse next to it, this fuses your new circuit, of which you would wire to where you wanted it, No cutting or bodge up required, and a hell of a lot safer, since and no doubt you've read the papers of the electrician whose car caught fire, what they don't tell you is that he modified his wiring loom to incorporate a dash cam, unfused and shorted out the 12v aux feed, causing the loom to catch fire,

Def don't want to do that, burn the car I mean.

Spur sounds a good idea, just take out the existing socket fuse, tap in the spur, fed the cable to the new and done? Any thoughts on the best place to earth it (before I go silly undoing all the trim)?

Many thanks

That's exactly what your looking for

post-64392-0-39211200-1428166318_thumb.j

I used a spare cigar lighter and plugged my dash cam into it, hidden it under the glove box above the fuses, and found a bolt that was fixed to the cross bar under the glove, I undid that and wrapped my ground around that, and retightened the bolt of course,

I actually knock up piggyback wires in my spare time.

Just recently made one for a Fiesta owned by another member L22EEW.

Give him a P/M and I'm sure he'll tell you that my work is good.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club