Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Touch Up Paint Pen

Randoms
聽Share

Hi all,

Took a ride out today in the sunshine (thought make most of it while it lasted), however when I returned home I found a large scratch along the passage side door 馃槧!

Can only think this must of been done by a bush while driving down some narrow country lanes as it wasn't there when I set off.

So to ease the sick feeling in my stomach I've been looking at genuine ford paint pens (panther black) & wondered if anyone had experience of using these/will cover the scratch.

Thanks on advance

Do you have a photo of the scratch? Could it be polished out? With my experience with touch up pens, the damage will still be noticeable. Mine has several touch ups done and the colour difference is noticeable, even though it is the same colour.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

I'd be interested to know how good the touch up pens are at the small flecks and chips that we get on the fronts of our cars from stones on the road etc. Does a touch up pen at least improve them?

I'll take a photo tomorrow if I remember.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

I just bought this touch up pen to cover some stone chips.

post-64799-0-40909300-1429349746_thumb.j

They are ok for stone chips probably wouldn't recommend for a scratch though

• Like 1

What I do for stone chips is, I use a panther black genuine ford spray, shake really well and spray a little into a clean plastic container that you can throw away, then use a very fine brush to touch up (you can get packs of artist brushes from 拢1 shop etc) this eliminates that raised spot effect when touching up chips, don't think I'd dare use for a scratch though so not very helpful for Martin, sorry Martin!

Would it not cover with the coloured polish? Or is it too deep?

• Like 1

The more I look at the scratch (especially today in the sun) the more I know it's beyond my ability.

I'm booked in with the local "Chipsaway" bloke on Friday (see other thread), I'm sure he'll do better job than me with pen kit.

• Like 1

Good plan Martin! Leave it to the experts, especially as it's a new car, I might have had a go in my old P reg one, but then again...

Ben, are you a Terry Pratchett fan?

I am, I am fairly new to his books, I have read the 'Moist' series and an currently on 'Thud' in the Watch series. My other half breathes Pratchett, obsessed I tell you.

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

• Like 1

I've read everything! More than once, brilliant man sad he's died recently, my daughter wonders what to get me for my birthdays now as TP released at least one a year!

• 1 month later...

Out of interest Randoms. Have you had your scratch sorted now

Out of interest Randoms. Have you had your scratch sorted now by the chips away guy and if so how much did he charge and was it a good job?

Out of interest Randoms. Have you had your scratch sorted now by the chips away guy and if so how much did he charge and was it a good job?

Scratch sorted by chipsaway, cost me 拢100.

Plenty of people have a had a look at the door afterwards & say can't tell it's been done however if I look hard enough I can see a difference (angling my sight from different places).

To be honest he's done a good job and it's certainly not one of those horror stories/paint jobs I've read about, suppose each rep is different.

Yes I see your point Randoms. Again out of interest. How deep was the scratch and how long? I only ask as I've got one bad stone chip and one scuff which is slightly dented. I've researched and found that using an acrylic filler/putty then after its gone off rub down or use a paint leveller (what ever that is as I've not yet found out) then paint. For small scratches touch up pens are good if used sparingly and many coats and Fords spray paint is great. My car is deep impact blue and had to replace headlight wash trim piece. Perfect match.

If you can still see even if looking hard then complain and try to get a discount.

Yes I see your point Randoms. Again out of interest. How deep was the scratch and how long? I only ask as I've got one bad stone chip and one scuff which is slightly dented. I've researched and found that using an acrylic filler/putty then after its gone off rub down or use a paint leveller (what ever that is as I've not yet found out) then paint. For small scratches touch up pens are good if used sparingly and many coats and Fords spray paint is great. My car is deep impact blue and had to replace headlight wash trim piece. Perfect match.

If you can still see even if looking hard then complain and try to get a discount.

Scratch was deep (through the paint) and about 30cm long.

As I said there's only myself who can notice the repair (not sure if it's because I know it's been done), other guys at work (some ex nissan/others really into there motors) can't see it.

I also had a stone chip but after speaking to chips away & also body shops they all advised would only touch up with paint then apply clear over the top.

Decided that I would just buy Halfords own brand touch up pen to save money & give same results & it's worked a treat on chip.

Again you have to go looking to see the chip now however this is right on the roof line were meets top of window so not sure how good it would be if in the middle of the bonnet etc.

Scratch was deep (through the paint) and about 30cm long.

As I said there's only myself who can notice the repair (not sure if it's because I know it's been done), other guys at work (some ex nissan/others really into there motors) can't see it.

I also had a stone chip but after speaking to chips away & also body shops they all advised would only touch up with paint then apply clear over the top.

Decided that I would just buy halfords own brand touch up pen to save money & give same results & it's worked a treat on chip.

Again you have to go looking to see the chip now however this is right on the roof line were meets top of window so not sure how good it would be if in the middle of the bonnet etc.

Halfords touch up pens are pretty dam good, I had a 3 inch scratch that was pretty deep, bought a filler pen and panther black pen from Halfords. Was really impressed with the result - scratch was dead center on the bottom of the door, coat of mer after using the pen and it polished up pretty good too

post-48887-0-94938000-1433321863_thumb.j

Yeah the pens are pretty good, I'm not sure I'd of trusted myself with the larger scratch but if there are any little chips etc I'll be tackling them on my own. 馃槉

I was trading the car in for my ranger, bloke on commercials said get a touch up stick and he'll say no more about it as the car was only going to be sent off to auction otherwise I certainly wouldn't of trusted myself :lol: I was expecting to have to give chips away a call

Ah right Randoms. As it happens I've already got genuine Ford spray and touch up pens bought cheap tho from a Ford dealer online. Don't blame you for not tackling a 30cm deep scratch but we'll done with the stone chips. Thanks to you and Chris with your views on Halfords own paint.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club