Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is This A New Car Smell?

laumk7

My car went for its very first proper long journey today and when we arrived at our destination the car absolutely stank!

It smelt slightly rubbery / metallic, not a single warning light came on on the dash, the temperature was fine and after popping the bonnet on arrival nothing untoward going on under there, it's definitely not the clutch btw, I know that smell and this wasn't it

The car has done 700 miles

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Could it be just everything heating up after its first long journey like it will probably go. Maybe it was burning off some factory dressings or something?

I don't know

May well be the protective coating they put on the exhaust when it was manufactured, just burning off. As for absolutely stank, and slightly smelling, they tend to contradict each other.

Lol you describe a smell other than 'it stinks' which isn't at all helpful I'll be first to point out ;)

It's in the garage at the moment to try and find out

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

My dads 64 plate Defender is doing the same thing, it smelt of rubber yesterday after a motorway run and uon opening the bonnet some smoke came out. 😂

It drove fine but a bit odd, would be interested to hear if you solve the problem! :)

Tbh they checked all hoses and fluid levels and even had the car up on the lift so they could spin the wheels and nothing, they've no idea what caused the smell :unsure:

The clutch stinks when new. Maybe it's that you can smell.

Hmmm it could be, there was a lot of stop start traffic that day due to a large number of accidents on the motorway, so therefore unfortunately a lot of 'riding' of the clutch. It definitely wasn't your typical clutch smell though, as said I know that smell unfortunately :blush:

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC