Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Any Openreach Employees Here?

Turvey

Having serious problems trying to get phoneline installed into our new house. Apparently Openreach only update their address database once a month which means that we can't even order a new line until the end of the month!

I dont suppose anyone knows of a direct number I can call to try and get things moving a bit faster? PM if necessary ;)

Are you trying to get Fibre Optic? Openreach do update the areas they are upgrading online, however they keep changing it, Mate of mine keeps going from planned to postponed for over a year now.

Go with Virgin, as long as you are near an exchange they'll stick one in for like £50. I get 92MB/S at home with 30MB upload, downloaded an entire Xbox one game ( BF Hardline ) in under 1hr. was near 30GB.

Cheers Matthew, it's actually a new line into a new house we're trying to get. The problem is that it's a new street with a new postcode and Openreach only update their database once a month on the 25th!

Here's my story/rant on Facebook...

A bit of advice to anyone thinking of building a new house. Make sure you're not the first one to move into a new postcode! Getting a new phoneline is an absolute joke!

I have now ordered a new line from Talktalk 3 times! Each time they take my order including a date for an engineers visit but each time when I check back a couple of days later, my order has been rejected! No call-back from TalkTalk to inform me either.

It's not all TT's fault though, a LOT of the blame lies with Openreach, or more precisely, Openreach's database for new postcodes. The Royal Mail/Post Office database has been updated so when you place an order with TT it accepts the postcode, however when the order is then passed to OR because it's not on their database it gets bounced back to TT as a non-existing postcode!

Apparently, after much Googleing, OR only update their database on the 25th of each month so if it misses that date you have to wait another month for it to be hopefully updated!

The provider(TalkTalk) can't/wont contact OR to see what could be done to speed things up and there is, as far as I can see, no way for anyone to get in contact directly with OR as they only deal with the providers as it's them you have the contract with!

It's not much use trying other providers either, BT, Plusnet, Post Office etc etc will all have to get OR to install the line so, same story.

.......................................................................................................................................................................

Following that I received in a PM the email address of the CEO of Openreach who I wrote to last night and got a reply at 6.06am this morning!!! Got a follow up email from one of his team wanting more information.

Really impressed with this guy so far. Just hope he can get things sorted out, it's doing my head in.

We've only recently started getting Fibre BB rolled out up here but I don't know yet if we're going to be in an area that can get it......postcode not recognised!!! I hear good things about Virgin but we are definitively NOT in a Virgin area :rolleyes:

To start off, I don't work for Openreach.

To be honest I would be blaming Talktalk if they don't follow up your order. There is no contract between yourself and Openreach. You're paying for your service to be provided through Talktalk who then should chase Openreach.

I understand your frustration but I'm well aware of other people who have delays on lines being installed/repaired etc. and the ISP/Phone provider is very quick to off load there customer onto Openreach when the customer is paying Sky/Talktalk/BT Retail/x company for the service etc. and should be doing the leg work.

I work within highways and we also get blamed for delays where there may be issues with accessing blocked ducts for new services/repairs. The customer then ends up calling us as Openreach state 'highways' are the delay when in fact most instances there has never been a permit requesting works submitted to us to process. The 'highways' mentioned by whomever has spoken to the end user is the status for the job within Openreach, as in it's been passed out to the contractor for works to be raised.

Still, Talktalk have the contract with Openreach to provide the install, they should be dealing with Openreach. If they can't be assed to chase an install for a new customer, I wouldn't put much faith into them chasing to resolve a fault etc. later on when you're in X month contract.

Cheers for that Zico, it seems that at at least some of the fault this time WAS Openreach's, I got a couple more emails from OR requesting more details and was sent a map as well of the street to confirm our house :) got another email then confirming that the system was updated and to go ahead with the order.

I was going to do that tonight but was beaten to it by Talktalk, who phoned me this afternoon..................to tell me that due to a 'known bug in their system' the postcode wasn't recognised and they couldn't tell me when/if it was going to be fixed so would have to cancel the order!!! Pity they didn't tell me that a month ago :rolleyes:

Thinking I'll be going with Plusnet now. A couple of pals are with them and brag up the service AND the after-service.

So watch this space :wacko::blink::unsure:

• Like 1

Sorry about my rant, partly overflow from people calling when at work :D.

PlusNet are good (been with them almost 2.5 years on 80/20mb FTTC) but they seem to be having some network issues at the moment (check out the forums at www.Thinkbroadband.com).

If your friends are with PlusNet then they can recommend/refer you and get a small amount off there bill each month. It won't affect your bill. I would also suggest you check out www.topcashback.co.uk or www.quidco.com for cashback when signing up.

No worries mate, we all have bad days ;)

Sent a pal a message to get recommended as you say. Didn't think about Quidco/Topcashback though, cheers for that B)

Just a working line with a semi-decent BB speed will suffice to begin with but will deffo upgrade to fibre if it becomes available in my area.

To get them the referral you need there username when signing up. Obviously if you want to get topcashback/quidco don't use the referral link you may get sent from your friend, just enter the details on the signup page manually.

i hate broadband companies i really do....... I have had many problems with broadband companies one in particular Eircom the main line provider the one all other companies rent the line from... anyway where i used to live the most we could get was 3mb and we had our telephone line moved to our computer room it made sense cause the computer wasnt wireless how ever the main telephone line was in the hall beside the front door and every time we ring customer care about speed they always say plug your modem into your main line this never ever made a difference so we got sick of doing it and said there after when we rang them up that we have done that a million times but no that didn't compute in his tiny head..... So anyway we decided that enough was enough rang Eircom and said we were cancelling due to the fact you cannot provide us with the agreed upon speed and therefor are going with Vodafone who gave my mam 4mb business plan half the reason was cause my brother was the sales person ( he also sold us the eircom deal) well I moved down the road to a bigger town and now have 50mb fiber bb which on a speed test most times says 80mb with vodafone thank god. Just heard from my mam a few days ago and she says its happening again that her bb speed has shot down to 2mb when they were supposed to be providing 4mb there excuse the entire time is your line isn't strong enough....

long story short i think Zico is right its the internet companies who need the kick in the back side they should be doing everything in there power to keep there customers happy and chase up things when needed. hope you got your situation sorted turvey i know how much of a pain it can be.

• Like 1

I feel your pain Mark, we had TalkTalk at our old house and for 99% of the time it was fine but when we did have problems getting them to understand the problem was a battle.

The constant "Try plugging you router into a different socket" etc etc ad infinitum :censored::angry::angry:

I have now ordered Plusnet via the moneysavingexpert site. £50 cashback which was better than Topcashback and my mate is still getting £1 a month of his bill :)

Fingers crossed that Plusnet can actually provide the service :unsure:

EDIT: Just got an e-mail from Plusnet......

Unfortunately, there's been a delay to the order for your telephone service.

We'll contact you again once we have more details about this.

I feel your pain Mark, we had TalkTalk at our old house and for 99% of the time it was fine but when we did have problems getting them to understand the problem was a battle.

The constant "Try plugging you router into a different socket" etc etc ad infinitum :censored::angry::angry:

I have now ordered Plusnet via the moneysavingexpert site. £50 cashback which was better than Topcashback and my mate is still getting £1 a month of his bill :)

Fingers crossed that Plusnet can actually provide the service :unsure:

EDIT: Just got an e-mail from Plusnet......

Unfortunately, there's been a delay to the order for your telephone service.

We'll contact you again once we have more details about this.

I know its the same line every time try plug it into main socket all you feel like saying is ill plug it into your eye socket and see if that helps...........

1pound a month of his bill could they not afford to give him 5 pounds off hahah he did gain them a new customer and source of money for there products. thats like hi have a mac donalds ham burger on me