Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Zetec S Black 'dump Valve' Sound?

Yokomoko

Am I making it up or when at high revs on the 140ps Zetec S Black, when changing gear I am hearing a 'whoosh' noise similar to the sound of a Subaru or something which my colleague says is the dump valve.

I've heard elsewhere here that the Fiestas Turbo isn't powerful enough to produce any noticeable sound. Has anyone else noticed this 'whoosh' noise with the 140PS version?

My MPG has severely dropped since I've started noticing it.. It's a really addictive sound when you grow up longing for that noise when a higher end car drives past :-P

It definitely does make a sound. Though it is not that loud. And you do need to be giving it some welly to hear it. On my old seat cupra r i swapped out the standard diverter valve for a forge one and that made a properly loud whoosh when you changed up. Don't know whether there is an ecoboost equivalent.

• Like 1

As I'm aware ford don't use dump valves on any of there cars. They use recirculation vavles Ive got an ST and I also get this sound from the valve and mines 180bhp. If you put the two sounds together they actually sound completely different but if your not used to the sound it can be mistaken for a dump vavle. But I could be wrong on this all I do know is the St is a recirculation vavle.

As others have said, it is a re-circ valve, not a dump valve.

Same purpose of releasing back pressure, but re-circ dumps it back in to the intake (and the ECU is calibrated for this).

My mum's 1.0 makes a better whoosh on lift off than my 1.5, lol.

Ah nice one guys! May not be as loud but I can hear it and it sounds great :)

On a separate note, the power difference between the Black Edition and my last car (100ps) is phenomenal. The power seems to be there almost all of the time and needs gear shifting much less when some knob ahead is hovering between 25 and 28mph ahead..

That's down to the new twin scroll turbos ford are now using my st turbo kicks in @ 1800k revs.

Airbox mods or open filters can change how the recirc valve sounds - standard Focus ST 225 you didn't even hear it, similarly with K&N's original induction kit but once i'd done some mods to their original design you get nice little noise now when you lift off with some boost on the gauge. Lot more subtle than an externally venting dump valve.

Does anyone know if you can make a standard 125 zetec s have a louder noise unless i upgrade the turbo ?

Re-circulating dump valves like on the Fords ecoboost make as much noise as those scooby vent to atmosphere.. just you can't hear them as much due to the air filter.

Dump the box you get this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SUKyoO2UmNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But note... more boost more noise.

My ZS made all the choo-choo whooshy noises on lift off you could want.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Don't forget. More noise, less power :p

^ technically that's not true, Pumaspeed sell adapters for recirc valves that affect nothing, just amplify the noise on this, but dump the plastic in the engine and remove the sound deadening in the engine bay and you'll notice it a lot more, engine cover absorbs a bit too although the engine on these actually looks quite messy without it imo, not like a Clio or an Alfa with a nice cast inlet over the top.

No performance gain then?

I've never understood why people spend money on these things. Spend it on an air filter ;)

No power gain at all, possibly reduced lag but that's it. all down to preference, some people prefer old school noise like the 90's days and some people prefer to splurge all their cash on stupid stuff like Gel Overlays and clear bulbs and call themselves individual when in fact sheep.

Why buy an airfilter when you can buy a Turbo back exhaust? why buy a Turboback when you can buy a Stage 3 set up? cost is also a factor, these airfilters right now are stupidly expensive too, somehow though the ITG one is like the cheapest, even over the pants K&N Typhoon and J1 superheat soak thing.

I'd much rather buy something I notice everyday at every change than a Filter, I'm still yet to hear this "induction Roar" after 11 years of driving and modding cars now and I have perfect hearing, most factory filters with a K&N Panel also prove the best "gains" over some £400 jobbies.

The dump to air dump valve offer no performance, no reduced lag or anything just make more noise.. Must of the induction noise increase from Cone filters comes outside of the car, a proper cone that's shielded from heat and mapped can offer performance but only with other mods. Most standard air boxes can flow enough air for basic mods.

most factory filters with a K&N Panel also prove the best "gains" over some £400 jobbies.

This is what I'm getting at Matt.

I decided this time round not to spend any money on changing the appearance of the fez. As you know it's all gone on power upgrades, oh and better headlight bulbs ;)

Better bulbs are a must, quite rank on std bulbs if you have the LEDs too, two shades of white doesn't work at all.

You don't want the ST rear diffuser? OEM mods are perfectly fine imo, I did see on eBay a while back a breaker selling the whole interior of an ST ( grey one ) for £800 all seats included, not bad tbh.

Had the ST rear but sold it now. May look into it again if I get the exhaust done ;)

ST interior for 800 notes is a bargain. I seriously considered importing a us spec ST but the cost was ridiculous.

Had the ST rear but sold it now. May look into it again if I get the exhaust done ;)

ST interior for 800 notes is a bargain. I seriously considered importing a us spec ST but the cost was ridiculous.

Might be me being daft, but what's the difference between the European and the US spec? :)

Apart from the obvious right v left hand drive :p

As Alex says. They get the fiesta in a 5 door only and that would be perfect for me. Over here you can only have ST 5 door spec with the Focus :(

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club