Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I've Really Derped...

Josh775

Hi all;

Feeling like an absolute numpty right now...

I had my car MOT'd and it passed with flying colours after some new discs and pads.

I was going to blank off my EGR but the bolts were siezed pretty tight. I sprayed a bottle of EGR Cleaner into the EGR....Started the engine up about an hour ago and it made a horrible noise and since then it won't start It barely attempts to tick over.. The glowplug lights were flashing

I'm worried I've probably siezed it. it won't start now it just makes a horrible whirring noise like a fan or something and all the dials shake as if it's a low battery.

So far I removed the glowplugs (All the tips were white and stunk of this EGR Stuff)

Left to air overnight...

Tried to be jumpstarted...no avail.

Sadly I broke one of the glowplugs when removing (musnt have been copper greased) - It's stuck in the hole currently but I'm sure that I can get it out...

Any advice on what to check?

Is it possible I've flooded/siezed the engine?

I was thinking potentially starter motor gone but I'm out of my depth here. Car is currently broken down outside my house.....

Oh and OBD2 reader brings no fault codes.

Thanks,

Josh.

post-55313-0-22960700-1428936957_thumb.j

post-55313-0-74685300-1428936992_thumb.j

post-55313-0-77375500-1428936996_thumb.j

post-55313-0-09511400-1428936998_thumb.j

Did you just say you sprayed the whole can inside the EGR while the car was off?

if you did then its most likely that the cylinders are flooded. if you have 3 of the glow plugs out you will need some sort of pump to get some of the fluid out

You hydrauliced the engine with the fluid and then the starter motor stripped a tooth or bendix trying to turn over an immovable engine, Thats why you can hear the starter spinning but nothing happens now

Will need to take of starter and check bendix and flywheel ring teeth

Did you get this fixed Josh? First port of call for me would be to replace the broken glow plug. Not sure about the rest but, Stephen seems to know what he's talking about. When I cleaned my EGR valve, I kept the engine running, sprayed for a bout 2 seconds (you'll hear the idle revs drop), then I gave it a few revs. Then I repeated the process. I ended up taking the flexi pipe off that goes to the EGR valve, giving it a good clean out, before re-fitting it and blanking it off. Worked wonders, so once you get it started again have another go and don't let this little hiccup put you off ;).

I also read the original post and although cant help was hoping for a good outcome . Its horrible when something goes wrong with a car but even worse when by total accident and trying to save pennies you cause the problem.Fingers crossed for you mate.

Hi all, sorry for the delay in getting back tyo this. A mate of mine came round and helped me. I managed to have a spare starter motor and my old glow plugs. Changed the glowplug, I Couldn't get the 3rd one out but it still fires and the hole is sealed so I'm leaving it. Removed the Starter and 3 teeth were broken, checked the o-ring on the flywheel and it looked OK. Swapped Starters and managed to get her to start. No abnormal noises/knocks and a week later she has been driving perfectly.

I still need to blank that EGR though :D

hold on, are you driving on 3 cylinders then????

No he's running on 3 glowplugs i think, should be fine in the summer but eventually you will have to get around removing the stuck plug.

Good to hear you have got it running again :)

Changed the glowplug, I Couldn't get the 3rd one out but it still fires and the hole is sealed so I'm leaving it

I hope you screwed the body back in to prevent the broken end being fired out of the head. :o

Depends, if the threads are still inside and its just the top that snapped off, then it wont fire out.

It's only the top bit. It must still be working as I'm getting no errors and the plug is in enough, I think.

I'm thinking of moving it on soon for a newer focus. Just can't make my mind up for Mk2 or mk2.5 and whether 1.6 Diesel or Petrol.

mk2.5 1.8/2.0 tdci :D

Yeah the 2.0 would be nice. What are the major differences other than diff headlights etc?

Thats good news Josh and really pleased you are back on the road.Did worry for a while you were going to say the engine was up the creek for good!!!

Mk2.5 is very different to the Mk2 overall tbh, every panel is slightly different I think!

Wouldn't go with the 1.6TDCi tbh, 2.0 is the best bet imo.

Mk2.5 is very different to the Mk2 overall tbh, every panel is slightly different I think!

Wouldn't go with the 1.6TDCi tbh, 2.0 is the best bet imo.

I wouldn't go that far - many parts are interchangeable between the 2 models

mechanically they are the same, but asthetically they are different. mk2.5 has better looks, better instrument cluster, radio, red LED's inside, better centre console arrangement. most of the mods i have done are already there on the MK2.5 (spoiler, 17" alloys etc)

• Like 2