Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Gasket Price

Pixie2203

Not sure if anyone can help but been told the gasket is on it's way out but ok for the time being, any idea on what prices they are?

i have an 05 zetec s.

In my experience, the HG tends to just go. Who told you it was on its way out?

And what engine is it?

• Like 1

I have a 1.6Ltr

I took it to a relatives garage and apparently he's put something in there which will give u an extra 6-8months running on it??

Sounds like he's dumped a bottle of Rad-Weld or K-Seal in there.

Is that the 1.6 Petrol?

It sounds dubious.

Head gaskets normally fail for a reason - they're not really a wear and tear item.

Personally, I'd be inclined to dump out the coolant, flush it all through and replace it. One of the common reasons for HG failure is over heating. Especially on cars with heads made of chocolate (Mk2 Punto springs to mind...) So long as the car is well maintained, it should be okay. The coolant change/flush and an oil change (with filter) is easily DIY'able and doesn't take long.

Whilst your at it, I'd also be inclined to find a new garage!! Family or not

• Like 3

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated,

Yes, it's petrol, the car seems to be fine at the moment but I intend to keep it well maintained.

I planned to look for another garage it was taken there because it was convenient, the last garage I went to for my old car really screwed me over and were completely useless.

it'll cost a lot to change, the head will need to be skimmed, new cam belt and aux belt kit, HG itself won't be expensive but you'll need new head bolts which can be pricey, personally if it's going I'd just bin it, not many people ever do the job properly or the block / head is to warped for it to seat correctly, you'll be looking at a good few hundred just on bits etc...to do it properly anyway, but never reuse the belts and bolts.

Is the car actually getting hot? or is there just white stuff in the oil?

• Like 2

I've literally only had the car three weeks and it's been in and out of the garage as there were other problems with it.

originally the car was cutting out, mainly when i decreased speed quite rapidly the car would just cut out but it'd always start back up first time, I was told it needed a new breather pipe ( i was given a reason why but i honestly can't remember) breather pipe was fitted yet the car still cut out, then i was told there was a leak somewhere and that i'll need two bolts from ford fitted, so they were fitted and the leak has now stopped along with the cutting out, that was when i was told the HG was on it's way out, I checked the oil and it's fine there's nothing wrong with it. I haven't noticed the car getting hot but the family member who had it in the garage said it had happened, I'm constantly checking my temp gauge but it just stays on normal, at the moment i think i'll just play it by ear and just maintain it the best i can.

any tips on maintaining it?

Who did you buy it from? a Stealer or private?

• Like 2

I may be completely wrong here - but I can't see how a breather pipe would cause cutting out?

Anyway - if you go to the Ford Etis website, you can generate a service schedule for your car (doesn't always work with Chrome - but does work with Internet Explorer).

If you've not witnessed the car overheating under normal usage, then I'd be willing to put money on it being fine. And you've said your oil looks good and is at the right level. If you start getting a loss of power, rough running/misfire and a mayonnaise like substance in your oil (a little bit around filler cap/dipstick opening in winter isn't anything to worry about) then yeah, I'd say your HG had gone.

As has been said, you're looking at a hefty bill if it does go. The Mk2 Punto (1.2l 8v engine) generally costs around £300-£400. I would imagine the Fiesta to be at the £400 minimum for a proper job.

• Like 2

really appreciate the feedback guys,

Matt, funnily enough it was from another family member who had had it for 3 years but before that my partner had it, my partner really looked after it and it seems as though the family member who had it just didn't care for it, i found out yesterday two of my wheels are buckled so now got to look into that too!

not having much luck with the car but i've wanted it for so long!
i was told about the minor problems with the vehicle but since having it more and more issues crop up!

Dubious face is dubious... I am not convinced that you have a HG issue there by the sounds of it... The tell-tales are not present. However, if they have dumped radweld/K-seal in it for no confirmed reason I would be draining that out and refilling the cooling system. Did it have any water leaks at all? I have used Radweld before, but only on motors which I knew were nearly end of life and I didn't really give a crap about them anymore. It tends to be used as a last resort, to grab a few more miles out a car that has issues but isn't going to be about much longer. I had an Astra with a leaking engine core plug which stopped after radweld, but that heap deserved to die in the most painful way possible. I would be asking for evidence that the head gasket is on the way out.

In regards to price, ring around. I think that you will find that prices will vary, find a garage that is reliable, has fair prices etc. I have found that some independents will move the Earth for you, in order to secure a regular customer. It is cut-throat out there, but a good independent is worth the weight in gold.

• Like 2

does anyone know why when i went to check my water i noticed it had been bubbling?

At the header tank?

Sent via the 'Clacks'

GNU STP

where i fill it with water.....

where i fill it with water.....

Hopefully the expansian tank.

It will bubble when it blows back into the tank from the coolant system. Aslong as it doesn't bubble/splash Like a boiling kettle it should be ok

Check it isn't overfilled

Emission tester is good indicator of blown head gasket, if i remember correct what big boys told me.

Compression test will usually indicate which cylinder the HG has failed on.

There are other tests that can be done.

As for topping up with water - I hope you're using the correct Anti-freeze/coolant to water mix?

• Like 1

By the sounds of it the car will be dead before it needs anti freeze.

By the sounds of it the car will be dead before it needs anti freeze.

Such a positive soul, eh Matt?! Lol
  • Like 2