Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whooshing Noise And Black Smoke

Foxy88

Hi guys!

I'm new to this forum and am hoping to get some help with an issue as I'm not too tech savvy when it comes to cars! I've got a Mondeo ST tdci 07 plate and am getting a whooshing noise when I reach the revs where the turbo seems to kick in. The EGR valve makes a horrible sound (have attached video) at this point too and upon switching off ignition will make the same noise for a few seconds. I'm also getting loads and loads of black smoke out the exhaust. The engine will sometimes hunt on start up & since Ive had this smoke/whooshing problem the power seems much less.

I have a blanking plate fitted to the EGR valve (one with the tiny hole in to supposedly stop EML coming on even though it still comes on again whenever I reset it). The horrid sound coming from the EGR valve makes me think it is that. But then if I have a blanking plate then why would there still be loads of black smoke?

I've removed the EGR valve and cleaned it (was minging) but the problem is exactly the same. Forums seem to suggest a split inter cooler hose? I inspected the hoses as far as possible for splits while I had the EGR valve off but can't see any. Still need to check from underneath though.

Anybody got any ideas of what it could be and the best place to start? If the EGR is kaput would I still need to replace it if it's blanked anyway? I'm hoping I find a split in the hose but feel all the symptoms I've mentioned point to something much worse?

trim.8FDECB28-E14C-4184-AB17-B654B21D52EC.MOV

the hole in the plate is useless! your better off blanking it and resetting the light as now and then,

As for that noise, its more likely an intercooler hose or pipe is split or disconnected. Check the intercooler, as if the banjo clip is not done tight, it will pop loose and has a loose hose (did this with the CMAX). Likewise if all the pipes and hoses look solid, then you need to take a look for any splits on the bends of the hoses, move your hand around the pipes and you should feel a blow coming out from somewhere under higher revs.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club